Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Aura One
Importing 4GB of books requires 8GB+ of space. Why?

I've noticed a peculiar thing. Calibre, when importing, first copies all the files to a temp folder (on my machine it's /var/folders/ys/mk3r41nj2jv20t0cw7_f_tvw0010gn/T/calibre_0.9.22_tmp_fOK9I5/ ) and then it copies files again to Calibre Library folder (it doesn't do a mv). Then it deletes files from temp. Why is it doing this? It's so inefficient and slow. It took me forever to import these books and majority of time was spent on I/O operations.
MelBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It makes it less likely that you end up with a partially successful import. Either everything will be imported or nothing. Calibre also works with a temporary copy of the database file. This may save you a lot of headache if the import failed halfway.

Calibre also works the same way when for instance bulk converting books or sending to device.

It is an approach that favour data integrity, reliability and safety over performance. I suspect that it is intentional.

Import fewer books in several installments and you should be fine. Optimally no more books than what can be held in the disk caches. Install more RAM to increase that amount. Make sure that the temp folder is on a fast disk with plenty of free space. I've actually put mine on a 8 GB RAM disk using the tempfs feature in Linux. Works fine, but plenty of RAM for disk caches should also help.

And seriously, how often do you import huge amounts of books? Go do something else during the import or take a nap. Perhaps read a book?

Last edited by Adoby; 03-13-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Perhaps read a book?

Big jobs (of any kind) are why I have more than 1 computer. God invented KVM's for a reason
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
audeojude
Connoisseur
audeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kindle 1
lol... god invented the i7-3770 and 32 gigs of ram for multiple virtual systems andbig jobs at the same time and still running smoothly for everything else

I need to put my tempfs out on a ram disk.. bet it would speed stuff up some.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
It is an approach that favour data integrity, reliability and safety over performance. I suspect that it is intentional.
How does copying something twice improve data integrity?

Quote:
And seriously, how often do you import huge amounts of books? Go do something else during the import or take a nap. Perhaps read a book?
Often.

And it's not the issue of time but of space. Who said anything about time? I'm using SSD disk for most of the imports and don't have much space.

At one point in time in Calibre's import procedure, there are three copies of a file on the disk. If that file is large, you'll need a ton of space for absolutely no gain in anything.
MelBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Before the library is updated, all the books are fully converted/processed and waiting in the temp folder. Same with the database file. So normally either all books are converted/imported or none. Even if calibre suddenly crash, the power is broken, the drive is full or memory runs out during a batch process, the library is still most likely fully intact.

I use a RAM disk for temp, and have even less space, but manage without any problems with 8GB temp storage.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote