Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
Tuxworx
Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Tuxworx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight, Nook HD Tablet, Kindle 2
Kobo 100 Free Books List, Alphabetical

I wasn't able to find a usable list of the 100 free public domain ebooks included on the Kobo Wifi ereader on the Internet, so I have created two lists of them, alphabetized by author and by title. ePub, pdf, doc files are attached.
Tuxworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
That's very generous of you to put the lists together, and in varying formats.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
My kobo Aura did not come with 100 books preloaded. It was from future shop sadly before the free cover offer. My guess is someone bought it, factory reset it and returned it.

Regarding the 100 free books maybe someone could provide a zip file of all the books here. Since they are all classic free titles I don't see any issues of providing a zip file here for people who don't have it preloaded (seems to have happened a few times with kobo readers) and probably from people factory resetting and returning.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
My kobo Aura did not come with 100 books preloaded. It was from future shop sadly before the free cover offer. My guess is someone bought it, factory reset it and returned it.

Regarding the 100 free books maybe someone could provide a zip file of all the books here. Since they are all classic free titles I don't see any issues of providing a zip file here for people who don't have it preloaded (seems to have happened a few times with kobo readers) and probably from people factory resetting and returning.
Those free books came on the Kobo WiFi (and a similar list on the original Kobo). These books are not on any of the modern Kobo eReaders.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

My mistake. I thought I had read somewhere in the Aura documentation and someone just recently complaining about the inclusion of 100 classic books.

Anyway I found a quick zip link of at least 50 here http://www.ibooknook.com/50-top-free...ub-format.html
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

They may be copyrighted (if they contain additional content such as introductions, prefaces, etc. unique to those editions, and if the books are listed as copyrighted). If that is the case, then a file may NOT be loaded on Mobileread because of those copyright constraints.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Anyone interested in working together to update that list and add links to all the books from either the MobileRead library or Kobo?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Anyone interested in working together to update that list and add links to all the books from either the MobileRead library or Kobo?
The original free epubs are simply Project Gutenberg epubs with auto-generated covers and mangled formatting added. I confirmed the source by extracting the "<dc:*" data from the content.opf files. They all list Gutenberg as the publisher.

As far as I can tell, these versions aren't available for download from kobobooks.
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
christopher22
Zealot

Perhaps someone could zip the 100 books form Gutenberg into a file and provide them here? Project Gutenberg is a project where free users help to convert classic novels (now in the public domain - free) into electronic format. I believe most if not all have no illustrations.

I have located a free site, globalgrey, which does provide some (not all of the 100 included with earlier versions of Kobo) of these classic public domain novels with illustrations. I don't know if it is allowable to zip books from there into a file and provide it here. Just confirmed in a faq on that website you can do whatever you want with those books once you download them.

Since the 100 books being offered on some kobo's I can't see why kobo doesn't make a download available - but I think it's a perk to get you to buy that kobo and not for someone who buys a kindle and just wants to download from kobo.

Perhaps a link on the ebooks section 100 Kobo books?

Last edited by christopher22; 01-08-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: adding - adding again
Old 01-09-2015, 01:16 AM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
christopher22--

Have you checked out the library right here at mobiread? (Click the ebooks link at the top of the page.) Tons of public domain books uploaded by members here--most having much better formatting than the same version at Project Gutenberg.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:07 AM   #11
christopher22
Zealot

Thanks! Actually discovered that shortly after my last post. I kept reading about people suggesting books right here at mobileread - then looked into it more. This is great! Thanks
Old 01-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Since the 100 books being offered on some kobo's I can't see why kobo doesn't make a download available - but I think it's a perk to get you to buy that kobo and not for someone who buys a kindle and just wants to download from kobo.
Like I said, you really don't want those original versions. The formatting is just horrible. There are versions of the 100 books on Kobo, but I've only looked at a couple of them, so I can't really comment on the quality. The snag is that there are too many versions. I saw over two dozen free versions of Homer's Odyssey. And easily that many versions of Sense and Sensibility, not including collections.

Quote:
I think that's what PeterT was trying to get going, links to Kobo or the MobileRead library or wherever. I was merely suggesting that Gutenberg might be a good place to get the original content with somewhat sane formatting since we know that's where they came from originally.
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Perhaps someone could zip the 100 books form Gutenberg into a file and provide them here? Project Gutenberg is a project where free users help to convert classic novels (now in the public domain - free) into electronic format. I believe most if not all have no illustrations.

I have located a free site, globalgrey, which does provide some (not all of the 100 included with earlier versions of Kobo) of these classic public domain novels with illustrations. I don't know if it is allowable to zip books from there into a file and provide it here. Just confirmed in a faq on that website you can do whatever you want with those books once you download them.

You may provide links to those Gutenberg texts, but they may not be available here as an attachment.

We have a library where one can format books where copyright has expired, and one may add them to our library - FOLLOWING OUR POSTING GUIDELINES - and have them available for download from our site.

AGAIN, if one does that then the books must not be copyrighted; or else, [if copyrighted] then permission from the copyright holder must be obtained and proof of this copyright shown to us.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo books