Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Winter Olympics

I'm sitting here watching the opening ceremonies, watching the nations parade.

I always get a thrill seeing these wonderful young athletes representing their countries.

Tonight, I was touched and saddened by Georgia's representatives.

I thought they showed wonderful courage by marching...but I could see the pain and grief in their faces.

This time, for the first time, as each country passed, I thought of my friends here on MR. I was so proud for all the countries.

Ravenne and others from Germany

Vcat and her father and so many others from Canada.

France.

England.

United Kingdom

Ireland.

All of them.

Made it kinda special.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 02-14-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: had to add United Kingdom........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I've been a huge Olympics fan (both summer and winter) for as long as I can remember. It's so sad to see the joy of the opening ceremonies (and the games in general) marred by today's tragedy. My heart goes out to the family of the fallen athlete, and also to the Georgian team and all the other athletes touched by this tragic event.

I too am feeling something different and special when seeing the athletes from countries that I've never felt any special connection to before now, but this year I do thanks to MobileRead.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
that's a scary ass competition. I got a chance to do it once just for fun. talk about total feeling of loss of control. yes terribly sad
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
It's indeed incredibly sad.

The feeling of unity with my country and with the world I got tonight is really strong and moving.
And I'm also extremely proud of my red Olympic mits!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I loved those mitts!! I told my husband that as the Canadians passed....how cool!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
...and the very beautiful Vancouver and environs. I so want to go back for a proper visit.

Cheers,
Marc (bring on the downhill & GS!)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I loved those mitts!! I told my husband that as the Canadians passed....how cool!
The mitts are available at the Hudson's Bay Company online store: http://store.hbc.com/scarves/torchbe...dRTUAF915.html. $10 a pair. And they ship to the US.

They're also selling some USA team items as well but can't ship those to the US.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
They're also selling some USA team items as well but can't ship those to the US.
See, it's not just ebooks... Those pesky US manufacturers (or maybe importers?) won't let them... or maybe it's the IOC?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
See, it's not just ebooks... Those pesky US manufacturers (or maybe importers?) won't let them... or maybe it's the IOC?
It's probably a "franchise" deal, and they only have the rights to sell in Canada. That's extremely common for this type of thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Just watching the ski-jumping as I type - man, those guys are mad. Who first thought of that as a sport? ("I know, if I ski down this really steep hill and then up that little incline, I could probably fly a hundred metres or so"!) If I'd suggested that my parents would have had me committed!

Do love the Winter Olympics though - always tremendous to watch great sportsmen and women at their peak. Have to say that the GB team probably won't win much though - they never do; apparently we're aiming to equal or beat our best ever performance at the Winter Olympics. That's 3 medals (not Golds, just medals). That's about the same as the number the USA, Germany and Norway will win in the first 20 minutes or so of the competition.

Finally, have to agree about how great Vancouver is to visit. My brother emigrated there a couple of years ago and we visited last year for the first time. Loved it! We're there again in September this year for his wedding so looking forward to that.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I just watched opening- I loved it! I usually am really bored and do a lot of fast-forwarding, and I did that again, but I enjoyed the parts I let myself (and the kids) watch. I really like the way they had the first nations there first and they "welcomed" the athletes, but those statues with the raising arms were really cheesy....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
For those who missed the opening ceremonies, this link may work.

Me, I'm currently watching short track speed skating.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
For those who missed the opening ceremonies, this link may work.

Me, I'm currently watching short track speed skating.
ME TOO! Time delay, and then TIVOed besides.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just watching tivo'd Opening Ceremony. Ice breaking up...orca whales...ORCA-BLOODY-WHALES! Freaking awesome!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Tattooed, punkish, kilt-wearing tappers and fiddlers...WTF!