Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Making Collections?

I always see the little collections box when I go to the main menu on my PRS-600, and I'm always curious as to what that is used for. I was going to make collections (like putting all books by a certain author in one collection) but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this. I looked on the library on my computer for some sort of option, but I couldn't find anything.

Also, as a side question, is there any way to sort books by author on the PRS-600? I can figure it out, and it seems like there should be a way, since the PRS-505 could. When I eventually put all the F. Scott Fitzgerald short stories on my reader, I would like a way to have them all grouped together, rather than scattered all over my list.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Collections are just tags that you set. You can set them with Calibre. I've never really used the Sony Library, so I couldn't say how you use that one for it. But it should be the same thing.

To sort by author you need to have tagged each of their books with the authors name. Then you just have to click on collection.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
The Sony Reader Library is similarly organized like iTunes. On the left pane you can create new 'Folders', give them a specific name and then move the books into the corresponding folder.
However, I strongly recommend using Calibre. There you can 'Edit metadata' and assign 'Tags' for each book. These will be used by the reader for creating collections.
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
To sort by Author on the PRS-600, click on Books from the main menu then use the Options button along the bottom, then select Sort by Author.

Collections can be created either by the Sony software (use th + button on the bottom of the library software screen) or by using Calibre and adding tags to a particular book.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Thanks, grooks. Should have been able to figure out the author thing myself.

I created some folders in the reader Library. So, after I create a folder, do I just drage it to the reader in the left panel? Also, if I create a folder, let's say with all my books by Joseph Conrad, and put it on my reader, but I don't take it out of the library on the reader, will it take up more space (e.g., will there be two files of the same book on the reader)?

Thanks, guys. I love this forum.
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. A collection just shows you all the books on your Reader which have a specific "tag" (the collection name); a collection doesn't contain an actual "copy" of your book. You'll see your book both in the main library AND in any collections that it's a part of.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Drezin
Connoisseur

Ah. Gotchya. Thanks for the help.