Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Shaul
Shaul began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Looking for umpc (tablet) as e-reader

Hi all,

I'm looking for tablet pc to use it as a e-reader.
the budget is ~$2000
Want to use it indoor & outdoor.
What is recommended ? what is reasonable weight ? (does 3.5 pound is ok ?)
I found fujitsu ifeBook® P1630 Tablet PC
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...o?series=P1630
Its 2.5 pound using 6 cell , 8.9' (passive digitizer)

what do you think ?

any other prefer device are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Shaul.
Shaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
RE:

You might read the reviews at pocketables.

They have decent reviews and comparison charts.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Here's a link to a relevant page on our wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/UMPC
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaul View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for tablet pc to use it as a e-reader.
the budget is ~$2000
Want to use it indoor & outdoor.
What is recommended ? what is reasonable weight ? (does 3.5 pound is ok ?)
I found fujitsu ifeBook® P1630 Tablet PC
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...o?series=P1630
Its 2.5 pound using 6 cell , 8.9' (passive digitizer)

what do you think ?

any other prefer device are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Shaul.
This is a nice (bit pricey for me - but then I have too many readers anyways ) tablet PC. It will do as a mini-notebook and as a reader. If you just want a reader, then look at a few of the other fujitsu slate tablets, or look at maybe the real UMPC machines. I use an Asus R2Hv (this has a Pentium CPU, not the original Celeron, which was too slow). But it still weighs 2 lbs, and is not really pocketable. I also had to get an extended battery, as the original battery had only a 2 hour life.

Any of the tablets are good readers when it comes to PDF's and .LIT.

If you have that sort of money - you have a fair choice. The Fujitsu 1630 is a pretty rolls-royce of UMPC's.

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
Shaul
Shaul began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
HP 2730p...

Thanks for your response.
after looking in the store i think 8.9' is too small , 12.1 is better.
when looking for 12.1 tablet pc , I read about HP 2730p

What do you think ?

Thanks again,
Shaul.
Shaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaul View Post
Thanks for your response.
after looking in the store i think 8.9' is too small , 12.1 is better.
when looking for 12.1 tablet pc , I read about HP 2730p

What do you think ?

Thanks again,
Shaul.
Well if 8.9 feet is too small I have to wonder about how big your are . Actually 8.9" is bigger than most any of the dedicated eBook readers mentioned on this site. Typically there is a trade off of portability with screen size. Certainly a 12.1 is better for reading but is heavy and the battery doesn't last as long. I find the optimum size to be 10" for such a device but 8.9" is a usable device size and is typically light weight for portable use. Thse newer devices are normally wide screen so portrait mode gives a pretty good reading area so long as the resolution is ok (1024 x 600 is good).

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
bouncy2009
bouncy2009 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just order this one, UMPC PPC100 with E-Booking Read function, here's the link:

http://www.favordeals.com/computer-a...work-4036.html

It is ok till now. I don't often use it as e-reader . How about you?
bouncy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote