Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #151
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
When asked why I had no FB or Twitter account, I told my would-be employer that I saw no reason. She shook her head and continued the interview. I'm another one of the psychos on the list....
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #152
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My accounts are both with valid information. The same name and birthdate. Just the email is different. I don't think Facebook has a problem with you having two accounts as long as you don't give out false information. I only have my cell linked to one account though.
My account only has my name and e-mail address. No birthday, no location, no schools I attended, no family names, etc. Only name and e-mail address. And only Friends can see what I write, not friends of friends. I NEVER write anything that is really personal even though it's just friends who might see it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #153
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
3. The job hunt
Just don't put stupidity on it. While most would use linked in, when I was looking for employment I just went to Facebook and found two previous colleagues and had two job offers within a month.

Employers you want to work for, don't worry about your Facebook posts, unless you're drunken and disorderly in all your photos in which case, you probably need to get past the twenty-five age barrier anyway.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #154
jineapple
Enthusiast
jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a Facebook account, mostly for my university group there. Quickest option for asking - Forums and the like don't get enough activity due to FB unfortunately. I don't really post much though, generally not a fan of it. But it just has some few advantages that I don't want to miss out on.

As for the reasons stated...

1. Unconscious addiction

Doesn't apply to me - I do have problems with wasting way too much time browsing, but that doesn't have to do anything with FB
2. Low self-esteem

I don't compare myself to others on FB..

3. The job hunt

? Just don't post anything really stupid and you're fine.

4. Applying to university

See above, even more so (I doubt any university here takes the time to check your Facebook)

5. The breakup

??

6. Facebook envy

See 2?

7. Exam time

Again, Facebook here isn't really my problem, it's other sites - But there's a great Firefox AddOn for that anyway, LeechBlock :P

8. Privacy

My biggest concern with FB - I don't post much though, keep my profile pretty restricted and try to block as much tracking as possible with several Addons (NoScript, AdBlock, Ghostery, SelfDestructing Cookies, BetterPrivacy)
jineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #155
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I hate facebook. Mostly because of the comment sections on some news sites that require you to log into your facebook account to leave a comment. Since I don't have one and won't get one that requirement irks me.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #156
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
When asked why I had no FB or Twitter account, I told my would-be employer that I saw no reason. She shook her head and continued the interview. I'm another one of the psychos on the list....
Pathetic of your would be employer to shake her head during the interview.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #157
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I have both a facebook account and a twitter account, i rarely post anythign on my twitter account however i do post on FB. BUT I always am wary and would not want to post anything that i would not want my mum/boss or anyone else to see...

e.g. i have been off poorly for 5 weeks and i asked my close friends/family who are on fb to text me or email me if they want an update as i am not posting anything on FB. which everyone complied with
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #158
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Pathetic of your would be employer to shake her head during the interview.
Yes. A clear violation of the "No head movements indicative of personal opinion" clause of the 1997 Interview Etiquette Accord.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #159
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Content of Facebook doesn't have to be stupid to damage your chances of getting a job. There are a lot of questions that are illegal for a prospective employer to ask during an interview, but if they can get this information from your Facebook page, they don't need to ask you these questions.

They can't ask your marital status, political affiliation, whether you have children, your religion, etc. Any of these could work against you, and if they can get this information from your Facebook page, it could harm you. If you had a special-needs child, for example, an employer might hire someone else to save on insurance expenses.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #160
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Content of Facebook doesn't have to be stupid to damage your chances of getting a job. There are a lot of questions that are illegal for a prospective employer to ask during an interview, but if they can get this information from your Facebook page, they don't need to ask you these questions.

They can't ask your marital status, political affiliation, whether you have children, your religion, etc. Any of these could work against you, and if they can get this information from your Facebook page, it could harm you. If you had a special-needs child, for example, an employer might hire someone else to save on insurance expenses.
Exactly that.
IMO this is the reason they do look for this profiles.
Kind of a civil equivalent of "not obtained by illegal search - clearly seen in the open"
No forbidden questioning - publicly available knowledge.

That's the difference theory and practice:
It's "All you say might will be used against you."
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #161
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
There is only one social networking site in the world. Facebook!... you must
join... . enjoy!
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #162
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Anti-social-networking though I am, I must say, as one of those guys who was afraid to approach girls in high school, there may be a point. People grow up and learn. Sometime it's nice to have a second chance, and good things could possibly come of it.

Imagine if no one would have friended Robert Johnson after he got back from the crossroads.....
The problem is that I already went through this on MySpace. This was when I was in high school of course, and so I let some of my elementary/middle school friends into that "circle" then.

The problem is that after not seeing people for 5 years (I went to private school for 7th-12th grade), it's like everything has changed. These aren't people I know anymore. I mean, we have the memories, the yearbooks, the pictures from school, etc, but that's where it all ends. And obviously, those people didn't even bother to even post on my wall to say hello, I became just another "number" on their friend list.

So I don't just add familiar faces anymore.

If people don't care about me, why should I care about them?

As for guys... I have never been interested in a relationship for whatever reason. So "missing out" isn't really a problem for me. I grew up seeing so many relationship problems between parents, and now have friends going through the same thing. Plus, I am the most stable person in my house, and I have no desire to move away from my parents when they have issues of their own and a kid starting middle school. It would be a disastrous move to have my brother go through that alone. Especially when school is already stressful enough.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #163
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
My account only has my name and e-mail address. No birthday, no location, no schools I attended, no family names, etc. Only name and e-mail address. And only Friends can see what I write, not friends of friends. I NEVER write anything that is really personal even though it's just friends who might see it.

Stitchawl

Sounds like me. My family talked me into it, but I keep it very locked down. Friends are only very immediate family and they don't get to write on my wall, and only Friends can see what I write. No personal info, no face pictures. I rather wish I'd never gotten the account, but it is nice for family updates.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #164
ebooker007
ebooker007 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Sounds like me. My family talked me into it, but I keep it very locked down. Friends are only very immediate family and they don't get to write on my wall, and only Friends can see what I write. No personal info, no face pictures. I rather wish I'd never gotten the account, but it is nice for family updates.
Seems your getting the mos out of privacy.
ebooker007 is offline   Reply With Quote