Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #61
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well, let's not forget Sony *dropped* audio capabilities in going from the T1 to the T2 so the software upgrades came attached to a hardware downgrade.

The odds of Amazon dropping audio from the Kindle Touch aren't too high, considering Amazon actually sells audio ebooks in the Kindle store. (To the tune of a few hundred million bucks a year.)

Plus, they already have a rock-bottom priced audio-less model (at US$79-109). And it has really good paging buttons.

If the T2 street price really runs $99 they'll be a good match for the other epub readers in that price range--last year's Nook STR and Kobo touch--but not the Kindles. Which, BTW, already offer support for Amazon's KF8 (their answer to epub3).

T1 was a good match with last year's Kindle Touch but the T2 isn't playing in that arena anymore.
And that concludes our sponsored Kindle advertisement break..........now, back to our regular programming.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
The odds of Amazon dropping audio from the Kindle Touch aren't too high, considering Amazon actually sells audio ebooks in the Kindle store. (To the tune of a few hundred million bucks a year.)
Amazon owns Audible, so it's in their interest to get it on as many platforms as possible.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #63
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
And that concludes our sponsored Kindle advertisement break..........now, back to our regular programming.
Note I happily own a T1.
A frontlit T1 I would've bought.
The T2? I'd sooner take my chances with a hacked Nook Glowlight.

It is hardly promoting Kindles to point out that the T2 best matches with last year's epub readers. If Sony chooses to ignore what the competition is bringing to the table, well... It's their business.
But I'm not going to stick my head in the sand or help them delude themselves.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #64
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Note I happily own a T1.
A frontlit T1 I would've bought.
The T2? I'd sooner take my chances with a hacked Nook Glowlight.

It is hardly promoting Kindles to point out that the T2 best matches with last year's epub readers. If Sony chooses to ignore what the competition is bringing to the table, well... It's their business.
But I'm not going to stick my head in the sand or help them delude themselves.
So let's have a response along the lines of, 'the T2 doesn't do exactly what I want, therefore it's not for me' rather than the dogmatic nonsense you posted. Personally, I couldn't give a flying one about listening to audio on my reader, nor a front light. I presume you have a T2 as well to be able to make such statements so confidently?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #65
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon owns Audible, so it's in their interest to get it on as many platforms as possible.
Right.
Which was my point, that they are not going to follow the Sony strategy of trying to sell "less features at a lower price = upgrade".
(shrug)
If I'm quick I can probably find a backup T1 at Overstock before they're all gone.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #66
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I'll admit I was hoping for a Sony front-lit and with higher resolution. I'm also left wondering why the Black model is the only one with a matte finish? And those buttons will probably leave a nice arrow-shaped impression in your fingertip if you try to use them for any length of time. Shades of the lousy slit Clié buttons...

Ah well, I'll just keep my T1 with a matte decal skin until the battery dies. Sadly, the way it's been draining so rapidly lately, I suspect that won't be long. I used to count on Sony for quality, but I've only used the T1 for about 4 months. If it wasn't so perfect for library books and shopping on Kobo, I'd switch to something else.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #67
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I'll admit I was hoping for a Sony front-lit and with higher resolution. I'm also left wondering why the Black model is the only one with a matte finish? And those buttons will probably leave a nice arrow-shaped impression in your fingertip if you try to use them for any length of time. Shades of the lousy slit Clié buttons...

Ah well, I'll just keep my T1 with a matte decal skin until the battery dies. Sadly, the way it's been draining so rapidly lately, I suspect that won't be long. I used to count on Sony for quality, but I've only used the T1 for about 4 months. If it wasn't so perfect for library books and shopping on Kobo, I'd switch to something else.

Hm - I bought my T1 when they first came out, and the battery life on it is still great. Perhaps you should call Sony and see if they'll fix or replace it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #68
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Mine is going strong 8 months in I top it up from the half way point once every two weeks and it gets daily use during my commute to & from work and during lunch.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3

You don't want to buy anything from Amazon.

You want to go ePub.

You want to buy everything Sony including a PRS-T2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
My brother has a K4 nontouch and I have the T1 [among others]. I actually liked the K4 better...
What drugs are you taking? You really need to stop as they are changing reality for you in a very bad way.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The buttons are kinda ugly. Right now I'm feeling good about my 650 and T1 backups sitting in my drawer
According to someone else (I forget who) on MR said that the buttons are better then they look in the photos as they don't come out all that well in a photo.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
When, exactly, were you appointed a moderator of this site?

I believe the answer is 'never', so if you would be good enough to stop telling me what I should and shouldn't do, it would be appreciated.
You shouldn't be quoting spam and instead, reporting the spam to the moderators so they can deal with it.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #73
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I agree that a light would have been an improvement. I wouldn't upgrade for it, but it would be nice. I'd kinda want it if it had a light. I have an external light and I use it a lot. A light is a necessity for reading in poor light for me.

Also, I think not having a light when the competition does is going to hurt Sony sales. Duh, Sony! Mind you, at least we still get buttons and touch!

The other thing is the resizable an reflowable text in the browser. Again, a big deal, but not enough for me to upgrade.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #74
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

You don't want to buy anything from Amazon.

You want to go ePub.
now that i have tried it -- whispersync r o c k s! Prime is pretty good too.

I am a convert. Amazon is a favorite company of mine now.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #75
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
There is no reason to reply to such obviously spammish posts, just use the report post function.
The original post is already gone.
But... but... someone made $6400 in a week and now I will never know how...

Damn mods... that was my chance for riches!!!
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote