Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
pelenor
pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 300
Best Ereader for PDF?

Hello all. I haven't been around for a awhile but now I have a question and I'm not sure if this is the right place but I'll ask. I have a Sony PRS300 and am now thinking about getting another reader to read PDF's on. I know both Kindle and Sony offer pinch and zoom but which one would be best for viewing PDF's? I had an Ipad and it worked it great but I no longer have it and do not want to purchase an expensive piece of equipment just to read PDF's. Any suggestions?
pelenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
The iRiver Story HD does great with PDFs. The higher 768x1024 resolution makes them much more readable than on the Kindle. It also supports djvu, which often has smaller file size (and conversion is easy).
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the correct forum. There are many other threads here asking the same question which you may find helpful to read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I haven been looking for something to read pdfs on for a while and have ended up deciding to buy an ipad for that purpose. E-readers don't seem to really cut it for that.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
boren
boren began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
The iRiver Story HD does great with PDFs. The higher 768x1024 resolution makes them much more readable than on the Kindle. It also supports djvu, which often has smaller file size (and conversion is easy).
One more advantage the Story HD has with PDF files is the text reflow option which allows selecting the font size, making the text much more readable.
boren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Gu1
Gu1 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd (basic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boren View Post
One more advantage the Story HD has with PDF files is the text reflow option which allows selecting the font size, making the text much more readable.
Forget about reading complex PDF files. I tried to read a newspaper. It's a mess. Either columns are mixed up or - if the page seems to be too complex for the reader - the whole page is shown in unreadable size. Reflow etc. does not help.
Gu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
No current eReader can handle complex PDF newspapers.
I've tried KDXG and PB903. It's a mess. Each pageturn takes 60-70 seconds.
While both can display the newspapers very well it just took way too long.

Maybe you need at least a tablet like iPad, A500, EeePad or something like those with a speedy CPU.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I agree with the last two posts. Reflow did not work well for me on the Sony, which was supposed to be one of the better readers for pdfs. It was a real hit and miss, some of the pdfs came out almost decent, a lot of them came out horrible in terms of formatting and it was so distracting that it useless. Never mind the absence of page numbers...

If you're going to read pdfs on a regular basis, I would strongly recommend a tablet.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
boren
boren began at the beginning.

Device: none
I never tried complex newspapers, but books in PDF that are unusable on other readers are a pleasure to read on the Story HD (using the reflow option). This is one of the features that IMHO make it the best 6" E-ink reader on the market.
boren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I, too, would recommend a tablet, but if you don't want to get a tablet the Sony readers do a good job reflowing PDFs. The new pinch to zoom and crop features on the PRS-t1 are great, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote