Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
How would you group image file from a manga?

Hi,

I was so close to get the sony 505 yesterday, but end up I didn't get it.

My major concern is that I can read my manga files on the reader, I've arranged my manga files by manga name and chapters within a directory on a SD card.

I tried it out at sony store with the reader but unfortunately, the read doesn't read it.

It can only reads my photos under one of my top folder. And the way to access the images is like one by one from a list of thumbnails.

Is there anyway I can group each chapter in one single thing?

If I can solve this problem, I think I will go get it. I wonder if the other brand can group manga in a better way...
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
hamh
Connoisseur

so no luck other than making all my manga images into pdf than lrf?
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had images view fine on the 505 from within a folder on an SD card (from my digital camera). What format are these Manga images?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
hamh
Connoisseur

they are either in gif or jpeg.

but they are stored in this folder structure
>comic>manga_name>chapter>

if the sony reader read them, will the images be treated as if they are in one single directory instead of separated by chapter number?
Old 10-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think they'll be treated in alphabetical order. So make sure they are named such so you can go n order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
mangamonster
mangamonster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Hi there hamh.

After playing around with some of the free conversion software, here is what I've done (and it works perfectly...looks great on the 505!)

1. Download JE-Comics v0.8.0 and run it. Leave all the default settings as they are.
2. Convert the images to pdf (generate button)
3. Download/install pdflrfwin.exe and run it.
4. Assuming you know how to use the software, the only changes you will need prior to converting the pdf to lrf is 1.) under options, change profile to 'portrait' and 2. uncheck 'split pages'

This should do the trick and meet all your manga needs

-David
mangamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
mangamonster

Just one more thing, if there is a lot of dead unused space around the pages (causes the actual manga page to appear smaller, harder to read), try trimming the outside in the pdflrfwin converter. I used 7% around all the edges on one of my mangas and it did the trick.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
hamh
Connoisseur

is it better to make it lrf from pdf?

how bad would it be if it stays in pdf?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can convert directly from zipped images to lrf by using pdflrf. Play with various options for colors, scaling and cropping to find the best combo. Hint: use "Preview" button and switch the view to "Output" to see approximately how it will look on the device.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
mangamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamh View Post

Actually, I added a step you really dont need. Using the pdf directly will be fine. Just make sure you select the Sony Reader format from the top right drop down.

The pdf reads great
Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
hamh
Connoisseur

will the converted manga in lrf run faster than comic in pdf?

I used JEcomic to convert a chapter of manga to pdf, and went to sony store to run it. The speed was just... slow. It takes like 2 seconds to flip a page.

is that normal?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
if you want to create volumes with chapters, use https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11261

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamh View Post

converting pdf to lrf would make your file smaller and thus faster to process and read. and of course... sharper and higher contrast

Last edited by athlonkmf; 10-18-2007 at 12:31 PM.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote