Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
PRS-650 not recognized on Mac OS X Lion

Hi,
I just upgraded to Mac OS X Lion and while the Library Software is still working, the connected PRS-650 shows up with an Error label next to it. I cannot access the device from within the Library Software (which I could do before on Mac OS X Snow Leopard), but the using the Finder I can normally access the folders/files.
Does somebody have to same problem? How do I fix this?
Thanks,
Diddy
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi,

this is discussed up and down the board. Just scroll down some post to sony Library software - does it work OK on a Mac? or get used to use the search-functions in this forum.

But to make it short, you will
A) have to boot in 32-bit mode by holding "3" "2" key while booting, or
B) just use sideloading via Finder
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
PHughes
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Hi,

this is discussed up and down the board. Just scroll down some post to sony Library software - does it work OK on a Mac? or get used to use the search-functions in this forum.

But to make it short, you will
A) have to boot in 32-bit mode by holding "3" "2" key while booting, or
B) just use sideloading via Finder
You misunderstood his problem. The library software runs on his computer but the device isn't recognized.
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHughes View Post
You misunderstood his problem. The library software runs on his computer but the device isn't recognized.
You misunderstand the answer... for some weird reason the Sony readers require a file (kext I think) installed on the Mac that DOESN'T run in 64-bit mode and REQUIRES a boot into 32-bit mode then the installed software will recognise the Sony and there won't be the error message...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
What kind of MAC do you have? I have a MBA (late 2010) that ran a 32 bit kernel under Snow Leopard, but runs the 64 bit kernel under Lion. This causes the error when trying to access the reader in the library application. In order to work around this you have two choices: 1. Boot in 32 bit mode, 2. Just drag and drop the downloaded books to the reader's flash storage. Detailed instructions for both procedures can be found in the other thread on the using the Sony software under OSX.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
PHughes
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
You misunderstand the answer... for some weird reason the Sony readers require a file (kext I think) installed on the Mac that DOESN'T run in 64-bit mode and REQUIRES a boot into 32-bit mode then the installed software will recognise the Sony and there won't be the error message...
Okay, your OP didn't go into that much detail. Thanks.
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thanks a lot all for your feedback! I use finder then to drag and drop the book onto the reader drive.
I hope Sony provides a 64bit version soon.
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Thanks a lot all for your feedback! I use finder then to drag and drop the book onto the reader drive.
Don't hold your breath... the problem is not a new one...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
No doubt they'll release it at about the same time that Okidata provides a 64-bit driver for my laser printer.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote