Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #61
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i read what i want now too, though i'm sure nobody would call it "literature" *eye roll*
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #62
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i read what i want now too, though i'm sure nobody would call it "literature" *eye roll*
Even tho I'm curious, I won't even ask
It could be so many things, but my mind just wanders of, guessing away

Last edited by AkumaTakeshi; 06-16-2011 at 11:57 AM.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #63
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
There's a very talented teacher in our district who tells about a young lady who became "angry" at him because he spoiled all the books she used to enjoy by teaching her what good writing is. I picture in my mind a girl throwing down a copy of Twilight in disgust and storming out of the room.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #64
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
There's a very talented teacher in our district who tells about a young lady who became "angry" at him because he spoiled all the books she used to enjoy by teaching her what good writing is. I picture in my mind a girl throwing down a copy of Twilight in disgust and storming out of the room.
Twilight as ruined vampire stories IMO, seriously sparkly vampires? And the new vampire books following Twilight have been getting worse and worse, but well that's just my opinion. I really didn't like the idea of reinventing the vampires.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #65
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Technically, Meyer didn't invent the "sparkly vampire" concept -- alas, it already existed.

Shameless plug, if you hate Twilight, you might like my Twilight deconstruction series and the dark "Rightlight" stories that the readers have spawned. They're delightful re-writes.

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/06/tw...-vampires.html

Yeah, that was a shameless plug, I admit it.

Quote:
I've had this happen with books I enjoyed as a child but have grown out of. It's rather painful, but I suppose necessary.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #66
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
Even tho I'm curious, I won't even ask
It could be so many things, but my mind just wanders of, guessing away
i bet you'd never guess in a million years.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #67
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Try The Passage by Justin Cronin...

Quote:
Twilight as ruined vampire stories IMO, seriously sparkly vampires? And the new vampire books following Twilight have been getting worse and worse, but well that's just my opinion. I really didn't like the idea of reinventing the vampires.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #68
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
This x1000. I died laughing when I read your post, because I was thinking that exact thing. I am pretty much ADDICTED to browsing on Amazon. It's like my hobby.

AND I agree that there have always been crap books, crap ideas, crap everything. That isn't new. People have always had bad ideas and people have always had good ideas.

I really love whenever anyone tries to blame the 'downfall' of something on any one thing. Firstly, reading is on an uptick, not a decline. So I'd like to know where he got his information. Secondly, just like everything in the history of the world, everything rises and falls and a lot of times rise again, and there isn't ever one thing, or sometimes anything at all, to blame.
Quit talking about "Downfall" before someone makes an awful YouTube video with Hitler furious over the decline of paper and the rise of ereaders...
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #69
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Quit talking about "Downfall" before someone makes an awful YouTube video with Hitler furious over the decline of paper and the rise of ereaders...
Bahaha. It's like Godwin's law meets Youtube rule 35: If no such video exists, it will be made. It's gonna happen.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #70
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
But seriously, publishers and other line of works really need to learn to change as the times change.

They should take more new and original works and not the Twilight clone number 23, well I think there's even more than that.
For me the Indie authors are the ones doing the right things here, they bring us new, original and mind-blowing novels, they normally price them accordingly and still make lots of sales, maybe even more that they could if publishing paper books.
Eeeenh. Indie authors aren't necessarily better than published authors, and vice versa. Twilight clones exist on both sides of the fence. Why? Because it's still making money. Not everyone writes original and mind-blowing novels. Quality or originality isn't the domain of one business model. When it comes to e-publishing, what is on the domain of one business model is more control on price, and the other business model has more resources when it comes to marketing. That's all there is. I try to help out with promoting indie books that *I* like and making it easier for others to buy indie, but Sturgeon's Law applies to everything.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #71
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post
Eeeenh. Indie authors aren't necessarily better than published authors, and vice versa. Twilight clones exist on both sides of the fence. Why? Because it's still making money. Not everyone writes original and mind-blowing novels. Quality or originality isn't the domain of one business model. When it comes to e-publishing, what is on the domain of one business model is more control on price, and the other business model has more resources when it comes to marketing. That's all there is. I try to help out with promoting indie books that *I* like and making it easier for others to buy indie, but Sturgeon's Law applies to everything.
Sadly it's all about marketing. Right now vampire books sell. Whatever is easiest to market is what will be written. It's not about "I have a good story to tell" anymore.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #72
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Sadly it's all about marketing. Right now vampire books sell. Whatever is easiest to market is what will be written. It's not about "I have a good story to tell" anymore.
Authors have a nasty habit of wanting to eat and provide for their families.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #73
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Try The Passage by Justin Cronin...
This one actually seems really good

Thanks for the heads up, added to the wish list
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #74
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

Lee
Absolutely. I think they have a better chance if they are selling something good than a clone of a franchise. The latter competes with a wide group, and probably gets less revenue for a given author.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #75
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

Lee

The dead ones don't...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote