Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #46
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
What happens if I do not specify a font for italics? I want to use Vera Serif but it only comes with normal and bold. If I specify those in the css, what happens if the epub calls for italics?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #47
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Whenever an italics is required by a book, ADE reverts to built-in font :-(
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #48
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
It occurs to me that someone who knows assembler better than I, could use a similar method to hack the FskDocumentViewerAdobe.so binary for other things, such as disabling the display of small page numbers in the right hand margin. That would be very interesting!
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #49
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

It is theoretically possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath for this functionality if I were you.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #50
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If we could get the equivalent FskDocumentViewerAdobe.so from the 900 (which does not display page numbers I think, and also supports full justification) then we could try and replacing it for the one on the PRS505. I would try this myself but I do not have a 900, and I don't know how to get the epub viewer out of the firmware.

I have also checked out the ADE SDK. You have to apply to be licensed, and I suspect Adobe would not license it for this purpose (changing the firmware on an existing device that is not open source).
Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #51
pepak
Guru

Nope. I tried PRS-300's and PRS-500's ADE on PRS-505, and it doesn't work. Both machines are much closer to PRS-505 than PRS-900.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #52
ShellShock
Wizard

I have contacted Sony about updating the firmware to the latest Adobe Mobile SDK. Wish me luck!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #53
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I have contacted Sony about updating the firmware to the latest Adobe Mobile SDK. Wish me luck!
Yes, good luck!
I'm surprised that they still haven't updated the 505's to have justified text; lots of other devices have got it.

bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #54
ShellShock
Wizard

Sony support just called:

There are no firmware updates available for the PRS 505
Any updates will be announced at sony.co.uk/support
My request will be forwarded to the developers.

Just don't hold your breath...
Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #55
ShellShock
Wizard

Replacing the default epub fonts in Sony Reader Library too.

I have figured out that how to replace the default epub fonts for the Sony Reader Library too, which means that we can view epubs in the Reader Library exactly as they will appear on the PRS-505, which makes formatting and editing easier, as you can easily see what the end result will look like without having to copy the epub over to the device. This is really just an extension of pepak's hack for the device (but without the hacking), so all credit to him for that.

I have only tested this on Windows.

Go to the location where the Reader Library is installed, e.g.,
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader or C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Reader.

In the Data\bin directory create an adobe\pxf directory, so that you have a
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\adobe\pxf directory. Copy your userStyle.css into it. It should be the same userStyle.css that you are using on the PRS-505.

The adobe\pxf directory is the directory that the epub renderer (C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\FskDocumentViewerAdobe. dll) is hard coded to read for the userStyle.css file. Unlike on the device, on Windows we have access to the adobe\pxf directory, which equates to C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\adobe\pxf, so there is no need for any hacking of binaries.

Now place your fonts in C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Data\fonts. Use this location rather than C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\fonts because then you can use the same userStyle.css file on both the device and Windows. In the userStyle.css, url(res:///Data/fonts/fontfilename) equates to C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Data\fonts\fontfilename in Windows, and /fonts/fontfilename on the device.

Now when you open an epub in Reader Library, it should display using the fonts you have specified in your userStyle.css; if you use the same userStyle.css and fonts on the PRS-505, you should get exactly the same view.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #56
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrjl View Post
Yes, good luck!
I'm surprised that they still haven't updated the 505's to have justified text; lots of other devices have got it.
The 505s have justified text, left justified text.

If they ever provide a firmware update for this I hope they have it as a user defined option to turn full justification on and off. When you're older and use a larger font (to avoid reading glasses) full justification just looks stupid.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #57
ShellShock
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The 505s have justified text, left justified text.

If they ever provide a firmware update for this I hope they have it as a user defined option to turn full justification on and off. When you're older and use a larger font (to avoid reading glasses) full justification just looks stupid.
The firmware update people want is for the epub renderer on the 505 to obey the "text-align: justify" style that can be specified with epubs. Therefore the type of justication (left, full etc) will be determined by the epub file itself. At the moment the renderer ignores the "justify" style.

If you then get an epub with the "justify" style and you want it to be left justified, it is a relatively simple matter to edit the epub to change it, assuming the epub does not have DRM (or the DRM has been stripped). I can see how having to edit the epub may cause problems for some people; it would be possible for have a attribute in the firmware to essentially revert to the existing behaviour and to ignore the justify style. There is currently such an attribute for LRFs--you can turn full justification of LRFs off, but this does require flashing the firmware (see PRSCustomizer).

Last edited by ShellShock; 02-22-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #58
PaladinBL
Enthusiast
PaladinBL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I have figured out that how to replace the default epub fonts for the Sony Reader Library too, which means that we can view epubs in the Reader Library exactly as they will appear on the PRS-505
Works great, I needed this, thanks
PaladinBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #59
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I see some people have difficulties with this hack over-riding a font that's embedded in the epub. This can easily be prevented (in the vast majority of cases) by restricting the font-family definition to the html tag only, thus:
Code:
html { font-family: serif; }
[do not include any font definitions for the body or p tags]
This way the top-level html tag will specify your replacement font. But, most epubs with embedded fonts put the font-family definition in the body or paragraph tags. These will now not be affected by the global user css file and will take precedence over the font-family attribute in the html tag.

I use this hack with PRS+, and this saves having to disable the user css for epubs with embedded fonts.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #60
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Try using our firmware www.ebookapplications.com
First of all we do have full justification of the text for ePub and secondly we just added custom fonts support so you can use any ttf font (even from your PC), just copy the font file in the "/fonts" folder and reset the device -- you will have it in the fonts list in settings.
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote