Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Even if they're not giving away their phones, Apple still enjoys bigger subsidies than the other manufacturers are getting.
Subsidies from whom?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Even if they're not giving away their phones, Apple still enjoys bigger subsidies than the other manufacturers are getting. That's not even counting the extra money they get for in-store or Apple.com new/upgrade contract activations. Apple's also given far more concessions compared to other manufacturers. It'll be interesting to see how long that state will continue.
I'm not saying Apple is isn't making money nor getting sweet deals; Sprints $15B deal is testament to that. My point is regarding the absurd statement that implies they are the only ones making money and the others are not because of the $.01 price.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
My point is regarding the absurd statement that implies they are the only ones making money and the others are not because of the $.01 price.
It's the consumer that still gets screwed in the end. The carriers are paying Amazon for all those new sign-ups. Manufacturers are still getting their subsidies. Meanwhile, the customers are tied to expensive 2-year contracts.

T-Mobile actually has two types of postpaid plans - Classic and Value. With the Classic Plan, you get subsidized equipment. With the Value Plan, you bring your own device but you pay a much lower monthly fee.

Classic Plan Family
1000 Minutes $60
Unlimited Text $20
Line 1 Unlimited Plus (2GB) $20
Line 2 Unlimited Plus (2GB) $20
Line 3 Add-A-Line Fee $10
Line 3 Unlimited Plus (2GB) $20
Line 4 Add-A-Line Fee $10
Line 4 Unlimited Plus (2GB) $20
Monthly Total (before taxes): $180
2-year Total: $4,320

Value Plan Family
1000 Minutes $50
Unlimited Text $10
Line 1 Unlimited Plus (2GB) $10
Line 2 Unlimited Plus (2GB) $10
Line 3 Add-A-Line Fee $5
Line 3 Unlimited Plus (2GB) $10
Line 4 Add-A-Line Fee $5
Line 4 Unlimited Plus (2GB) $10
Monthly Total (before taxes): $110
2-year Total: $2,640

That's a difference of $1,680 - enough to buy 4 mid-range (or last year's high-end) smartphones. Another thing, data plans are optional on T-Mobile if you bring your own device and their pay per use data plans are probably one of the fairest in the market.

*sigh* I wish more carriers would adopt T-Mobile's Value Plan model. I hate how carriers are trying to gain customers through equipment exclusivity deals instead of through improved service and fair pricing.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I loved T-Mobile, but I'm annoyed they got rid of the a la carte "Webpass." I would much rather they had increased the price for it, if that was the problem. Oh wells. I'm still paying less than $25 a month for my phone, with my usage pattern.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Apple's also given far more concessions compared to other manufacturers. It'll be interesting to see how long that state will continue.
I doubt much longer. Some providers here don't want to sell Apple stuff anymore because they must first sell their soul to Apple before they can even sell their phone...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
The problem with T-Mobile has been limited coverage areas. For example, I'm 70 miles north of New York City and T-Mobile coverage, according to friends who have it, is very spotty.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #22
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
This is why the market share #'s are skewed.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I don't use my phone that often, so I have T-Mobile's pre-paid plan. I pay $100 for 1,000 minutes and it takes me about 9 months to use them, so it costs me about $125 a year for my phone. The only drawback is that this doesn't work with a smartphone.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #24
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I doubt much longer. Some providers here don't want to sell Apple stuff anymore because they must first sell their soul to Apple before they can even sell their phone...
Providers who focus on low cost models won't be helped by selling iPhones. Mainstream providers will still do almost anything to carry the iPhone due to it being the most popular and most iconic device; it also has a low churn rate. And I think most consumers would much rather have the carrier sell its soul to Apple than to have to sell their own souls to the carrier.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #25
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I don't use my phone that often, so I have T-Mobile's pre-paid plan. I pay $100 for 1,000 minutes and it takes me about 9 months to use them, so it costs me about $125 a year for my phone. The only drawback is that this doesn't work with a smartphone.
That's odd, I have a cowoker that has that same plan and he has an android phone. I'm not sure if it's a regional plan or things might have changed since you started your plan.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #26
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Bah, not eligible for an upgrade til next August. I really want the HTC Titan now.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #27
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post
Bah, not eligible for an upgrade til next August. I really want the HTC Titan now.
August 2012? Just think of how many new and improved Android phones will be released by then
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
August 2012? Just think of how many new and improved Android phones will be released by then
About 200.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #29
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
About 200.
and, of course one new iPhone and one new iPad.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #30
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
and, of course one new iPhone and one new iPad.
Good...