Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #31
Franky
Nameless Being

Hi youall..

I came here a year ago because of my IREX (R.I.P.) DR800SG. Also a fantastic device, but only eInk.

I'm still not convinced I should upgrade with this Beta version. I'm still pondering..
It could be the last act of Entourage. Just to have it, I downloaded the file and I think I can upgrade any time now. But like I wrote, I'm not convinced to do it. It's just a Beta version.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #32
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
pondering..
It doesn't *feel* like a beta version to me. I was really hesitant to upgrade to, since I know what beta means. But I'm glad I did. The EE is lightening fast now and I haven't noticed any problems.

To be honest, as I was debating whether or not to upgrade to the beta, I was more concerned about being stuck with 1.6 indefinitely and not being able to keep up with apps than being stuck with a beta version of Android. So that's something to consider, too.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #33
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Ready to punch the Add to Cart button on Amazon's deal on the PE when I thought to check the MR enTourage forum. Now I'm hesitant after reading this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Droid View Post
Quick question, has anyone seen ermine as an update.zip file? I worry that id entourage site goes down, people who haven't yet heard may not get access to the ermine beta.
STL Droid
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
At Filark...
I'm even more afraid now because the entourage store is closed, so i'm nor sure where to pick up a spare/replacement battery.
I share Sarah's sentiment about being stuck w/1.6 indefinitely and don't think I will buy it if I can't get the Ermine/Froyo beta. Is there another place to purchase a replacement battery or is that not something to worry about?

Looking forward to comments from you devotees.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #34
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Charlie Bird, I wouldn't worry quite yet. I would consider buying now to be safe in terms of having enough time to receive the PE and upgrade it.

If you're concerned, you can always contact Entourage directly and say you're this close to pressing "Buy" but need to know that you'll have access to the Ermine beta. You probably also will have enough of a return period with your device to be able to send it back if by some chance (which I honestly think is quite small) you get the device and then can't receive the update from Entourage.

My recommendation, if you've decided you already want it and are just worried about this one issue alone, is to buy. But that's just me.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #35
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Also, it's not true that the enTourage store has closed. They took down the accessories page, and are not now selling their devices direct, but they still sell ebooks, textbooks, apps (mostly free), and music. The apps are download-to-your-eDGe only, but the books can be purchased by anyone (pdf and epub)!

Which of your devices do you read on? I have (and love) a Sony PRS-900 but find myself reading on my Pocket eDGe because I can look things up in more ways while I read, and take time out to make a note or play a game of solitaire or browse the internet if my interest in the book I'm reading lags.

I have yet to install Ermine, and 2 months down the road I am still learning how to use my eDGe, but it has successfully wormed its way into my life.

Let us know what you decide!

Last edited by Filark; 04-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #36
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

No, they haven't closed, but we are preparing for the possibility they won't be around for years (even months?) to come. So it's only fair to warn a potential buyer.

I missed your question about the battery, too. The PE does not have a user-replaceable battery, so that's not a concern for you. Only the full sized EE has a removable battery.

As for a stylus (you didn't ask, but the other accessory you need be concerned about), there are several other brands of styli that do work with the PE and EE, in case you ever lost your stylus and couldn't find a replacement.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #37
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Changing my mind every 15 minutes! The tempting thing for me, Filark, is the ability to look things up in more ways while reading—use the dictionary regularly and read a lot of history so I'm always looking things up on Wikipedia. The negative is that I'm so intrigued by Android that hours fly by fiddling when I could be reading and fear that many more hours would pass getting acquainted w/the PE. I already have a bunch of questions I was going to ask but decided to wait until/if I get it. For instance, Sarah, I didn't know about the irreplaceable battery, but that really doesn't give me pause. I do remember reading, but had forgotten, about the special stylus when I first got interested in the eDGe before the PE came out. I downloaded the manual and checked the apps (not very impressive those) and noted that you can load books from Calibre which, I think, means you can read hacked DRM books converted to ePub.

I so looove my QT7 (only build 2.1) that I plan on upgrading to a new tablet running Honeycomb.

I read on the Sony (haven't opened the K3 in a couple of months) but mostly on the QT7. I like the CoolReader app and Aldiko and I do not like Sony's Reader Library mess. I've never been able to figure it out. Also wonder if it would painful regressing to the original e-ink technology after using Sony's Pearl.

Well, I guess if keeping going maybe Amazon will sell out and I won't have to make a decision!
Thanks to you both...another pro for the PE is the community support.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #38
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I downloaded the manual and checked the apps (not very impressive those) and noted that you can load books from Calibre which, I think, means you can read hacked DRM books converted to ePub.
Just pointing out that you're not limited to the apps from the Entourage site.

(You mention you "checked out the apps" - just wanted to make sure you didn't think you were limited to those! You're only limited to whatever you can find outside of the official Google Android marketplace and whatever works on your current version of Android OS on a device that's not actually a phone.)

Most of us get our apps from the alternative markets like SlideMe etc. (On the EE forum, we have several of these listed)

And yes, you can use Calibre as you suspect.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #39
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Changing my mind every 15 minutes! The tempting thing for me, Filark, is the ability to look things up in more ways while reading—use the dictionary regularly and read a lot of history so I'm always looking things up on Wikipedia. The negative is that I'm so intrigued by Android that hours fly by fiddling when I could be reading and fear that many more hours would pass getting acquainted w/the PE.
That's a negative??
It's true. I've spent a lot of time exploring my PE, browsing for apps, and slowly learning all the cool things the eDGe can do. Just yesterday I figured out how to quote from an epub and send it as a pdf email. Then my husband asked if I could quote from multiple books in the same document and I opened Docs to Go for the first time and made (and emailed) a Word document with quotes from 2 of the books in my PE library. One of the reasons the device appealed to me is that I share books with my Mom (I gave her my older PRS-600) and I sometimes like to send her snippets of books I'm reading.

Don't forget for your history reading you can look up maps and have them open next to your book.

About the regression from Pearl: I imagine how much it bothers you would/will depend on how much you like the extra features you've traded it for. Maybe make sure you can return the PE and see for yourself (would be nice if the eDGes were in stores . . . .).
Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #40
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
[QUOTE=Filark;1488546]Don't forget for your history reading you can look up maps and have them open next to your book. QUOTE]

That statement right there may have clinched it for me. I'm a military historian and NOTHING beats having a map at hand when reading about a campaign.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #41
Filark

Hi Zombie!

I feel compelled to tell you that maps on the Pocket eDGe seem a bit small and fiddly to me. Maybe I just don't have the best apps or internet pages. I know the PE is a bargain right now, but if you can afford it you might prefer the 10.1" LCD with 9.7" e-ink of the full-sized enTourage eDGe -- especially if you read mostly at a table or with a lapdesk or book pillow (i.e. stationary).

If you do get an eDGe, people here and at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php can advise you on where/how to pull up and store the best maps.

Good luck! Hope to hear more from you!

Last edited by Filark; 04-12-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #42
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Others had mentioned the EE was much better for PDFs and since I get a LOT of 19th century books, mostly PDF, off google so I pulled the trigger a couple of hours ago and got the 10.1" from J&R. With my Amex rewards it's only costing me $345. Not bad considering I paid $300 just for my PRS950. Should get it sometime in the middle of next week.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #43
Filark

Congratulations, Zombie!!

As long as you can handle the learning curve and are not expecting a skinny metal case, I bet you will love your eDGe! You got a bargain price from a good vendor, too!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #44
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Congratulations, Zombie!!

As long as you can handle the learning curve and are not expecting a skinny metal case, I bet you will love your eDGe! You got a bargain price from a good vendor, too!

Thanks. I'll be fine. I'm an old techie; early adopter, build my own computers, etc.
Got a tracking update from J&R, should be delivered today! I forgot how fast they were.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #45
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I've been here for a little while already as well as <Conspiratorial Whisper> lurking </Conspiratorial Whisper> in the Entourage forums. Bit the bullet and got a PE last friday. Love it, love it, love it! Took it to Staples yesterday while shopping for a sleeve that would fit and converted half the tech staff despite all the promotions for the incoming BB Playbook
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote