Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Not seeing italics on my device-- looks okay in Calibre Viewer [Solved]

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 which is my primary ereader.

My problem is: the tablet, for some reason, does not show italics in ePubs... not in books downloaded straight from Amazon on the Kindle app, nor ebooks converted to ePub format from Calibre.

The same files show italics correctly in the Calibre viewer on my laptop, and on my Galaxy S2 'Epic 4G Touch'.

So, I'm not sure what the hangup is-- I'm not all that familiar with XHTML and I can't seem to find any good information through searches.

ANy hint, tips, whatnot on how to program Calibre to convert the books so that I can see italics on my tablet?

Last edited by Dngrsone; 02-02-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 which is my primary ereader.

My problem is: the tablet, for some reason, does not show italics in ePubs... not in books downloaded straight from Amazon on the Kindle app, nor ebooks converted to ePub format from Calibre.

The same files show italics correctly in the Calibre viewer on my laptop, and on my Galaxy S2 'Epic 4G Touch'.

So, I'm not sure what the hangup is-- I'm not all that familiar with XHTML and I can't seem to find any good information through searches.

ANy hint, tips, whatnot on how to program Calibre to convert the books so that I can see italics on my tablet?
The reading App (on the TAB) is probably at fault,
but it could be the book is poorly coded with no Fallback when the (italic) font is not available.

You really should mention the reading App as Tabs and iPads are not reading devices
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry; I intended to mention that...

I am using Cool Reader and the Amazon Kindle app.

Like I said, I downloaded a book straight from Amazon into the Kindle app, no italics. Same book downloaded from Amazon into the Kindle app on my phone shows the italics. I downloaded the book onto my laptop (running Lnux Mint 15 with the Kindle program loaded via wine) and pulled it into Calibre and converted it to ePub, pushed the ePub version back to the tablet and tried it in Cool Reader; still no italics.

I pulled a different book up into Calibre, .rtf file. Pushed it to the Tablet as an ePub and tried it in Cool Reader. Still no italics. The Calibre viewer sees the italics fine.

I copy the .rtf file directly to the tablet; open with Cool Reader: no italics.

I know Cool Reader can read italics, the app is also on my phone and it does absolutely fine, just as the Kindle app works fine on the phone. I just don't know how/where to look to find a fix/workaround for this device...

Maybe I have to ditch the stock firmware and install something else?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Dngrsone Try a couple of other ePUB readers on your tablet - if they work then its probably a Coolreader problem, if they don't then its a probably a tablet/android problem.

One things its probably not, is a calibre problem.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Oh, I agree it is not a Calibre problem. I am hoping that Calibre will be the workaround/fix.
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Mantanao Reader does the same. So that is three different readers which do not show italics on this tablet.

Tried changing the system font through Settings, had no effect on the fonts used by the readers.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Mantanao Reader does the same. So that is three different readers which do not show italics on this tablet.

Tried changing the system font through Settings, had no effect on the fonts used by the readers.
Sounds like its the tablet, have you posed the question in a Sony and/or Android user forum.

If you use Calibre's Polish Books feature (select book and press 'p') the first option is to Embed referenced fonts. This will create a new ePUB file that you could try. Apologies in advance if you already tried this.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Well, it appears that the default fonts in Cool Reader do not have italic analogues... which kind of sucks, since the one font that does does not display well on this tablet.

No idea why the Kindle app on this tablet does not show italics but the one on my phone does... I will have to convert those books to ePub, I guess.

It's there a way to add more fonts to Cool Reader?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well, it appears that the default fonts in Cool Reader do not have italic analogues... which kind of sucks, since the one font that does does not display well on this tablet.

No idea why the Kindle app on this tablet does not show italics but the one on my phone does... I will have to convert those books to ePub, I guess.

That question belongs on a CR forum, not in Calibre
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Sorry. I will leave now.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #11
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:

It is the default font used. You could just use another reader on your tablet that will allow you to change fonts.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
It is the default font used. You could just use another reader on your tablet that will allow you to change fonts.
Like Cool Reader, which allows me to change the font?

I am taking an issue up with Amazon-- they provide a reader with which to read the DRM-protected books that they sell. If their reader does not adequately portray the book I paid overly much for; then they need either fix the reader, or refund my purchase.

Thanks for all the input. This thread is somewhat solved and can be closed now.