Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #61
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Rossum's Universal Robots- Josef Capek (actually a play but easy to read as a book)
WE - Yevgeny Zamyatin
The street that wasn't there - Simak and Jacobi

Heinlein, LeGuin, K.S. Robinson and that bunch are good as well but short and to the point resonates with me. :-)
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
When did the discussion move from Best All-Time Sci-fi Novel to authors and short stories?

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #63
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
When did the discussion move from Best All-Time Sci-fi Novel to authors and short stories?

Short Novels good sir, short novels.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #64
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well if you want to get technical RUR was a PLAY.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #65
speedrrracer
speedrrracer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2, kindle dxg
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny -- can't believe it hasn't already been mentioned -- maybe I missed it. My #1 by far.
speedrrracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #66
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. I have always been bothered by the ending. Intrigued by Prof. The book made an impression on me.

Probably my second favorite sci-fi book is a Philip K. Dick collection. I have reread 1984.

Stranger in a Strange Land is on my Kindle to be read on vacation. I am on a mission to read more of Robert Heinlein this year. For some reason I overlooked this arthor, except for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Good thread! I got some ideas out of it.
I do think that The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is Heinlein's best story, but that I Will Fear No Evil and Time Enough For Love each produced more memorable quotes. I also feel Anne McCaffrey's All The Weyrs Of Pern echoed the ending of The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress a bit.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #67
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I do think that The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is Heinlein's best story, but that I Will Fear No Evil and Time Enough For Love each produced more memorable quotes. I also feel Anne McCaffrey's All The Weyrs Of Pern echoed the ending of The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress a bit.
Try time enough for love - it's my favorite Heinlein.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #68
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I thought Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon was quite good, as well as Starmaker.

I recently read The Player of Games by Iain Banks and enjoyed that too.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #69
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny -- can't believe it hasn't already been mentioned -- maybe I missed it. My #1 by far.
I would certainly rate that high up there.

I'm also quite fond of Grass and Raising The Stones by Sherri S. Tepper.

I liked Hyperion by Dan Simmons, so it's way up there. Dune by Frank Herbert. Ahh, that's right...Neverness by David Zindell.

They'd all jockey at the top for me.

EDIT: Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany. Don't know how I forgot that one.

Last edited by montsnmags; 07-12-2011 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Additional detail
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #70
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Try time enough for love - it's my favorite Heinlein.
, with I Will Fear No Evil close behind (though I read both about 30 years ago, so my memory could be flawed...).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #71
austinmitchell
Enthusiast
austinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The Time Machine - H G Wells

Followed by...
1984 - George Orwell
A Scanner Darkly - Philip K Dick
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
The Man in the High Castle - Philip K Dick

Last edited by austinmitchell; 07-12-2011 at 11:15 AM.
austinmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #72
mboyaci
mboyaci began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy - Douglas Adams
mboyaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #73
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've read and enjoyed a lot of Clarke, but looking back on his works, I would rate the vast majority more highly in terms of influence than actual quality. Foundation was fun, but underwhelming after having read the Dune series, and Childhood's End was full of great ideas, but they were somewhat clumsily and superficially explored. When I look at what Kubrick did with 2001 or even what Stephen Baxter did in the recent Time Odyssey books (or Greg Bear rehashing Rama in his Eon books), it seems obvious that Clarke's ideas had a lot more potential than he was capable of realizing as an artist. His influence was vast and deserves recognition, but I can't in good conscience elevate any of his individual works above the better efforts they inspired.

Granted, I haven't read the apparent crowd favorite, The City and the Stars--added to my list My current Clarke favorite is Songs of Distant Earth, though I thoroughly enjoyed the Time Odyssey collaboration.

I can't do "best of all time," but the works that have impacted me most, as a teen:

Blood Music
Brave New World
The Positronic Man
Cat's Cradle (borderline sci-fi, but entrenched like a Pashtun on that border)

As an adult:

Anathem
"Repent Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman (a short story, I know)
God Emperor of Dune (to pick one, Dune Messiah is also right up there)

And for something less serious, David Brin's Uplift series deserves mention, particularly the second trilogy centering on the planet Jijo, which can essentially be taken as one work. For uproarious, absurdist sci-fi, I'll take Uplift over Hitchhiker.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #74
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
Larry Niven: "Protector"
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #75
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
That is really a tough choice! I'll give my top ten in alphabetical order by title.

Double Star by Heinlein
The Dying Earth sequence by Jack Vance--Vance wrote a great series of novels based on this universe but I'll stick to the very first book which is a linked group of stories.
More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon
Of Men and Monsters by William Tenn
Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson
Time and Again by Jack Finney
The Time Machine by H.G.Wells
Way Station by Clifford Simak
The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmitz
Wolfbane by Frederick Pohl and C.M. Kornbluth
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi novel