Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #61
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Some comments on previous items:

AutoPage Turns
You can do that with the K1 and K2 but it works differently. On the K1 there was some sort of hidden feature documented by Igor on his web site. This doesn't work on the K2, but there is an easier feature. If you use the Text-to-Speech (TTS) it automatically turns pages as it reads. You can adjust the speed by adjusting the speaking speed. I haven't tested if you can turn the volume completely down. However it would be pretty easy to build a "mute". Get a broken set of headphones (or buy a cheap pair at the dollar store). Clip off the wires. Now when you plug it in it will deaden the sound and the pages will auto-turn. You could also use the alt-0 through alt-9 to adjust how much text is on each page and how often it refreshes.

Color Screen
I agree that we don't need color screens for e-reading. Its funny, I'm reminded of my early days owning Mac's. We had the little 9inch b/w screens and PCs had 12" color. I remember having to explain why my b/w was just fine.

However, I could really use a faster refresh. E-ink is fine for basic reading, but it really limits menus, editing and annotations, auto-scrolling, etcetera.

I currently have my eye on pixel qi. If you don't know about it, you can read their press page here: http://www.pixelqi.com/press . Seems to promise LCD speed refresh, e-ink or better contrast, color screens, much longer battery life than LCD (but not better than e-ink) and prices much less than e-ink. They promise to begin volume production in about six months.

DS and DSi If the DS sounds interesting, you may want to wait until early April. The new DSi promises two screens that are larger than the DS (3.5 inches each instead of 3 inches) and an SD slot. There is talk of an ebook application and the DSi only costs $169. If it had whispersync it would be a nice portable/backlit companion to the Kindle .

Page Turn Buttons The next page button is on both sides. Previous page is on only one side.

Finally, a comment for those who are reading this and wondering about getting a K2. If you aren't a regular reader stick with a laptop or netbook. If you mainly read academic pdf's wait until there is a reader with a bigger screen. However, if you are a regular reader stop waiting around. It's ready for prime time now. These things are similar to laptops -- there is always going to be a better device just a few months from now. If you wait, you will always be waiting for the next thing. Your biggest worry will be if you buy a bunch of books that have DRM and won't transfer when you upgrade later.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #62
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I want to add Chapter indicators, and page numbers would be wonderful not only for the academic writers, but how else can there be Junior High giggling in the bathroom over; "Did you read page 136 of the Godfather!!!!"

Put back the textured back. I'm not sure why it had to be made slick. Slick K2s are:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	24688  
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #63
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My wish list features:

1) Embolden This is a feature from the Cybook I used to own. It changes the font to a heavyweight bold font. The Kindle font is a bit thin, and since the contrast is not perfect it can be a bit hard to read. However, increasing the font size doesn't make it that much thicker and wastes space on the screen. Make it bolder and it becomes much more readable without increasing the font size.

2) Full Screen When reading books there is a lot of wasted screen space between the headers and margins. The text begins 1/2 inch below the top of the screen and ends 1/2 inch before the bottom. Likewise there are 1/4 inch margins on the sides. Calculate out the area and you will discover that the readable area increases over 40% if you can expand the text to the full screen.

The six inch screen is big enough for me, but Kindle is not very efficient in using it. If they would enable enbolden, and full-screen capabilities, and I use their current line spacing adjustment (alt-2) then I would be able to fit much more on a page.

3) Better Grip I carry my ebook everywhere. I read it standing in line, and walking from place to place. Holding it by the thin edge gives an unwieldy and tiring grip. I could use a case that offers a meatier grip. Think about a bulge on the edge about the size of the core of a toilet paper roll. It could be incorporated into a case. As long as we are redesigning cases we might as well add in the lightwedge style light

4) Folders or Tags: I know some here hate it, but I would really like it.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #64
emellaich
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
Put back the textured back. I'm not sure why it had to be made slick. Slick K2s are:
Possibly you could find a textured skin. Or you could apply textured shelf-liner to the back -- the kind that is sticky.

Michael
Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #65
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Possibly you could find a textured skin. Or you could apply textured shelf-liner to the back -- the kind that is sticky.

Michael
I'm not going to get a K2. That is my wish for future Kindles.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #66
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
My wish list for future Kindles:

1 Folder support. Or fake folders by means of tags would be okay

2 I'd like to be able to lend my e-books to other Kindle owners, by telling Amazon's servers to take it off my Kindle and load it on someone else's Kindle for a certain period of time. This would actually be better than lending a p-book, because it couldn't be lost or forgotten.

2A I would like to be able to buy Kindle books as presents for other people, and for them to be able to buy them as presents for me. I really don't see what's hard about this.

3 I'd like the Kindle to support every e-book format out there (or at the very least Epub and .lit as well as .mobi) and Kindle e-books to be readable on every reader out there. I think this would actually be good, not just for customers, but for Amazon.

4) Bring back the SD card expansion slot and the user-replaceable battery. It is okay for it to be a little thicker. Really. No, seriously.

As long as I'm dreaming...

5) I'd like to have a version that could read pdfs. That means it must be 8 1/2 by 11. Trust me, it will be a godsend for scientists and science students who are presently stuck with pounds and pounds of unsearchable paper copies.

6) I'd like to be able to write onscreen to underline and annotate documents, and save those annotations and transfer them to other kindles. If we add in handwriting recognition too, we can ditch the keyboard and use that space for a bigger screen.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #67
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I want to add Chapter indicators, and page numbers would be wonderful not only for the academic writers, but how else can there be Junior High giggling in the bathroom over; "Did you read page 136 of the Godfather!!!!"
Did you read location 2345 of Godfather works just as well.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #68
krisk
Wizard

*snort*
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #69
LizzieB
LizzieB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle touch 3G
I have one wish

I wish Kindle would find a way to hide the keyboard. I seldom use it, and it is mildly distracting. Cellphones hide keyboards and still remain compact. Is it too much to ask?
LizzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #70
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieB View Post
I wish Kindle would find a way to hide the keyboard. I seldom use it, and it is mildly distracting. Cellphones hide keyboards and still remain compact. Is it too much to ask?
Yes. Its a great place to hold the K, while reading its disabled. At least it is in the K1.....how about the K2?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #71
krisk
Wizard

Yeah, but there is that psychological; "must not touch!" thing going on.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #72
cejaxon
cejaxon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Can you not just register your Kindle to his account? Then you could share all your ebooks.

BOb
Sometimes in marriage it's nice to have a little space & not share everything... Although we do have a common bank account out of which all bills are paid, we have always had separate Amazon accounts -- it would probably -- logically or not -- inhibit my inclination to shop if I were logging onto his to do so. So why should Amazon set up this psychological barrier to my buying books? That's a dubious business plan. I don't currently own a Kindle -- he's the only one. I guess I could "borrow" his books by getting an iPhone & using the new Kindle app -- if Amazon can allow that, it should allow sharing between Kindles. I'm not objecting to an iTunes-esque limitation on the overall number of people with whom you can share at anytime -- we can share music among 5 iPods with no problems.
cejaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #73
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cejaxon View Post
we have always had separate Amazon accounts -- it would probably -- logically or not -- inhibit my inclination to shop if I were logging onto his to do so. So why should Amazon set up this psychological barrier to my buying books?
Well, you have to do what is comfortable for you of course. But, I am sure you share much more intimate things than an Amazon account already.

You could browse using your account... then once you've decided on a book buy it using your Kindle. So you've never really logged into his account that way.

There is of course the dubiously illegal method of stripping the DRM. Although you would need to log into his account to d/l the book... or have him d/l it for you.

I have to say, I personally don't see this as a barrier at all. I think Amazons policy is very reasonable.

You could also create a Kindle only account that you share which is fully separate from each of your personal accounts. Though he would not be able to move any current purchased ebooks to it. I guess he could always call customer service and ask if they will move them to the other account. They may, can't hurt to ask.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote