Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Axel
Axel began at the beginning.

Why does e-ink disappear when switched off ?

Hi everybody,

I recently got an iLiad and everything works fine.
However, I wonder why does the e-ink disappear when I switch it off? I thought e-ink doesn't need any energy to maintain its current state. Does that mean the screen is for some reason actively erased when I switch off ?

Many thanks,

Axel
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
It is actually "whitened", yes.

You can switch it off by pushing the reset button in the hole on the back.
You can use the pen for that.

The iLiad than switches off without clearing the screen. But if you have read a few pages in a document it probable will not have stored the last location.

You can than switch on the iLiad as normally.

Henk

Last edited by henkvdg; 02-13-2007 at 12:16 PM.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel
I wonder why does the e-ink disappear when I switch it off?
That's so the cabin crew on airplanes can be convinced that the thing is really off during take-off and landing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
And it is to prevent "burn in".
After a long period of not using eink, ist better for contrast and readability to start from a clean slate .
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, sure, if you want the technical reason.
Advert
Old 02-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Well not only all of that, but it makes it much easier to know whether or not the device is actually on or off. I realize this is the iLiad forum, and there may be some indicator of its power state, but on the Sony Reader, if my screen always kept the last page viewed on its display, I would be changing pages back and forth one time just to make sure it was on or off (to avoid accidental page changes while not in use, etc.).

edit for addendum:
Actually, I guess I would just hit the joystick instead of actually changing pages back and forth, but you get my meaning.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
And it is to prevent "burn in".
After a long period of not using eink, ist better for contrast and readability to start from a clean slate .
I'm not convinced burn in exists with eink. That's an old concept more in line with cathode ray tubes where the phosphor inside the tube really got burned. My reader was subjected to a continual display that lasted 4 days and no sign of burning.

To try it on the reader follow these instructions.
Just bring whatever you want to display up on the screen, and click the Reset button on the back.

That makes everything stop, and the display will stay as it is until you reboot it by hitting the power button.
S'all there is to it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, I don't think there's any burn in, per se, but when the screen is idle for a while, it does seem to get a bit ... sluggish about updating fully (so that the ghosting effect is a bit more pronounced) for the first several page changes. It goes away pretty quickly, of course, but I can see where it might be less pronounced coming from a 'blank' starting state.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:41 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
@yvanleterrible: Thats why i put "burn in" in "

There is no real data on the subjetc yet. Noone really knows, if a real burn in effect can happen with eink. But its probably nothing like with the old monitors.

But the screen is supposedly degrading with time, so you get less contrast after while.
I noticed this effect strongly on my device after using it several days. After that i seems to stay on the same level.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If you think of it closely, burn in is impossible with eink. There is'nt enough current in the process of displaying that can alter the physical aspects of all materials involved.
The only processes that can degrade the perfomance of eink are:
Lack of power. This is responsible for most ghosting. I'd like to see an option command to incite a black refresh screen.
Evaporation or thickening of particle carrying liquids.
Photosensitive chemical changes in the two colors of ink( I'd suspect mainly the white one)maybe brought by UV sensitivity.

Theoretically, eink will last a long time. That's the genius of it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I´ve seen burn ins for tft lcd monitors (exactly an tft imac)
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

You left out charge loss in the particles, yvanleterrible.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Well, sure, if you want the technical reason.
OK, how about to keep other people from reading the DRM content of the page without paying for it.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote