Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

View Poll Results: What features do you want on new devices (choose all that apply)
Wi-Fi 27 28.13%
3g 5 5.21%
6 inch (choose either 6 inch or nine inch) 49 51.04%
9 inch (choose either 6 inch or nine inch) 32 33.33%
Touch Screen 33 34.38%
Do NOT want Wi-Fi or 3G, hook to computer is fine 49 51.04%
hard keyboard (not on screen but on device body) 9 9.38%
soft keyboard (not on device body but on the screen) 34 35.42%
Choice of colors (red, green, blue, etc.) 30 31.25%
Fastest possible controller and processor (SPEED) 66 68.75%
Dictionary Support 59 61.46%
Hyperlinks 43 44.79%
Visible Clock (with its own battery) 28 29.17%
Quality crush-resistant case included 42 43.75%
Save me bucks and let me buy the case myself 28 29.17%
8,000 pages to a single charge (E-Ink) 69 71.88%
10-14 hours battery life and backlit is plenty 10 10.42%
Black and white Grade "A" screen 47 48.96%
Must have a color screen 8 8.33%
It must weigh under 10 ounces 41 42.71%
10 ounces to 1 pound is fine with me 20 20.83%
Over a pound will be just fine!! 1 1.04%
Sealed-in battery is just fine! 10 10.42%
Must be USER-Replaceable rechargeable battery 58 60.42%
SD card slot is absolutely critical to me 68 70.83%
No SD card slot 3 3.13%
Might be willing to pay only $150-$199 tops 34 35.42%
Might be willing to pay $200-$250 with features 29 30.21%
I need SIZE!! I am willing to pay $399+ for 9 inch 6 6.25%
I need a 9 inch that costs under $350 (less features) 14 14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
What features are important to you on new devices?

Here is an easy poll. Astak (EZRead, Inc) is going to have new devices coming out and some are already being evaluated. Therefore, I want to see what YOU think as far as what features you would like to see (keep in mind that some bigger features can add to the retail price). Please be honest, give it some thought, and let us see where the major wants fall.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
Features

I'm back and agreeing with no one.

I want one narrow enough to fit in a dress shirt pocket.

What I don't want:
No WiFi
No Bluetooth
No color
No email
No games
No texting
No nothing except reading a book, thank you

I've got all that junk on my smart phone. Why do I need it twice?
If you're going to add all that crap, throw in a phone and a camera and do everything. That sounds like a netbook with a cell phone module.
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
The user replaceable battery is important, but it needs to be a battery that is commonly available world-wide.

I think the formats it can render are essential. ePub, both secure and DRM-free is a must-have, plus as many more formats as possible. (Secure eReader would be nice but increasingly unimportant.)

There is no mention of ergonomics in the survey. The ergonomics on the Pocket Pro are what separate it from Sony's PRS300: you have easy to use page forward and page back buttons with tactile response to input. Good ergonomics like that are one of the things that make a particular reader easy to live with in the long run.

Your use of folders on the Pocket Pro are also important but it would be nice (just nice, not essential) if you also support pointers. With big SD cards it's easy to put a favorite book in multiple folders on the same SD card, making pointers less important, as long as size of data on the card doesn't slow down access to the book files.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
The user replaceable battery is important.
You'd think so, but I am a long time user of PDA's, phones, mp3/4 players, and now eBook readers, and I realise I have NEVER replaced an internal battery. I have always moved on to a newer device long before the battery needs replacing.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Ok, I'll lay this out the way I did the other poll as my answers are completely conditional. These are the two types of devices I'm looking at, and the features I'd want on each accordingly.

1. Dedicated ebook reader
6 inch
Do NOT want Wi-Fi or 3G, hook to computer is fine
hard or soft keyboard (either is fine. I'm not picky on this one)
Fastest possible controller and processor (SPEED)
Dictionary Support
Quality crush-resistant case included
8,000 pages to a single charge (E-Ink)
Black and white Grade "A" screen
10 ounces to 1 pound is fine with me
Over a pound will be just fine!!
Must be USER-Replaceable rechargeable battery
SD card slot is absolutely critical to me
Might be willing to pay only $150-$199 tops

2. MId device (ie, a mobile internet device that also doubles as an ebook reader)
Wi-Fi
3g
9 inch
Touch Screen
soft keyboard (not on device body but on the screen)
Fastest possible controller and processor (SPEED)
Dictionary Support
Hyperlinks
Visible Clock (with its own battery)
Quality crush-resistant case included
10-14 hours battery life and backlit is plenty
Must have a color screen
Over a pound will be just fine!!
Must be USER-Replaceable rechargeable battery
SD card slot is absolutely critical to me
I need a 9 inch that costs under $350
Linux OS (Meego or Android)
A large selection of additional apps that can be installed.
Stylus
kickstand (believe it or not, a kickstand is hugely useful on a MID)
USB connection (for file transfer and wired internet. Yes, there are times a wired link is necessary)
GPS device (and associated map software)

The list I gave for item 2 is for a Mid with ebook reader capabilities. Think of something like the Nokia n810, but on steroids. The 7" mid Astak displayed at CES would be a good analog for that. Anywho, that's my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
You'd think so, but I am a long time user of PDA's, phones, mp3/4 players, and now eBook readers, and I realise I have NEVER replaced an internal battery. I have always moved on to a newer device long before the battery needs replacing.
Not me. I tend to use a device until it bricks. On average I will change the battery in a device 2-3 times before I finally get rid of it.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Great feedback. Keep it coming!!

Dear All:

Only 4 people voted to date but so far we can see that people do not want a panacea of expensive items... just a good, very fast, device with E-Ink and no color. This may change as more votes come in but I hope we can get 100 respondees to be a decent sample size!

There is plenty of time to change things and all opnions are worthwhile.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
It's 6 now.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is a Grade A screen compared to the PEz?
I know the rest, but other may not.

You can only have an On Screen Keyboard if you have Touch, I don't want touch (The new kittens already cause unwanted page operations on my PEz).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I have a desire for a 9" reader for academic work (surprised this market hasn't been broken into given the number of students in schools and teachers/lecturers).

Silly thing is I think the Kindle DX is damn close. IMHO it needs to add functionality such as cropping of PDF files; provision to have open multiple files and just rotate between them. Throw a SD card slot and USB port (to allow plugging in a thumb drive) and I think it would be there (for my academic needs anyway).

Anyway, just my 2 cents on what I want my next ereader to function as.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
None of the above.

Missing from that list is improved firmware, featuring more solid and logical on-device management of ebook files.

That could be called expensive in terms of development resources, but its cheap in terms of actual effect on the hardware. Keep the hardware cheap, without unnecessary feature clutter. But file maintenance is less of a feature and more of a necessity. It's not like Wifi or 3G, which are total gravy which other companies are trying to persuade consumers are absolutely necessary. They aren't.

Although Wifi may not actually be that expensive to add, come to think of it. The chipset isn't very expensive and there are no ancillary costs like with 3G. The problem is that I bet Wifi would affect battery life... so why bother? If its added make sure its not an "always on" kind of situation and has to be manually turned on.

Larger screen? Great. But maintain the smaller cheaper ones as well on at least one model. Anything over 6 inches isn't NECESSARY, its a luxury, but its certainly more worthwhile than most "features".

Keyboards? Hell no. Why? Just why?

Keep the SD slot. I don't care if the unit could be $10 cheaper without it--you need it.

Sealed in batteries are stupid. I'm not sure how that's a cost issue though. Are sealed in batteries CHEAPER to produce?

Backlighting is an interesting question. I honestly don't know. Don't need one with the current model, but I can conceive of designs where it might be a good thing. Just don't go adding a touch screen, okay? Too little bang for the buck. Ditto for color screens.

A reliable clock would be nice, and I don't think it has to cost much. Don't have it drain the main battery. Have the clock run off its OWN standard watch battery (make it an easily available affordable type, coin sized or smaller), and have THAT battery accessible via an externally accessible panel which you don't need a screwdriver for. If it added more than $5 to the cost of the unit in total I'd be shocked.

So here's what's important:

Absolutely essential:
1.) Reading your books
[fairly large gap]
Fairly essential:
2.) MANAGING your books
[gigantic gap]
Somewhat essential:
3.) wide format support, accessible battery, SD slot
Nice to have, if it doesn't increase cost:
4.) having a working clock, case colors (as opposed to a color screen)
Reasonable luxuries, if increased cost is not huge:
5.) Wifi (but just for file transfer, not for web browsing or any other crap like that), screen bigger than 6"
Unnecessary or maybe even detrimental "features":
6.) 3G, Touch screen, Color screen, Keyboard

Another thing besides file management not on the poll is a feature similar to the Pocketbook 360's accelerometer page turning feature. It actually sounds more useful (and cheaper to produce) than a touch screen. It's probably not an expensive device if they can add it to cheap video game controllers. I'd rate it like "Wifi"--potentially useful, but only if its implemented correctly and doesn't add much cost.

Last edited by Spiffy; 06-15-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
bzyzny
bzyzny began at the beginning.

Device: astak pocket pro
i think that low cost is important for the time being, until fancy ebook readers can be under $200. focus on making the necessary features kick ass. like high levels of grayscale and dpi, fast page turning, lots of good file format support, firmware features, and light weight. like someone else said, keep the hardware relatively simple and put more effort into great firmware and regular updates. i got a pocket pro shortly after it was released, and in a matter of 4 months i noticed a tremendous improvement in the firmware updates, which made me immensely happy. and for people like me, who like to read in odd positions or lying in bed, making it light weight is essential so my hands dont get tired. smart button placement is also important, try to make it useable for left handed and right handed people using any screen orientation. aside from that, i am also interested in a basic, cheap, large screen ebook reader that is good with text books. 6 inch screens just dont cut it for books that have lots of text, pictures, and diagrams. theres my two cents, hope it helps
bzyzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Spiffy
spotted one of the most important improvement that could be made, that was not on the list: Library Management

I would settle for Integrating a Catalog of books on the device, that is generated by Calibre, that would allow a direct Jump (hyperlink) from the catalog page, to the book. Most of the (device library) information is already available to Calibre (AFAIK the path to the book is not stored in the present catalog).

Another feature that would be useful, is the ability to have multiple documents active. to allow a quick flip between (no more time than a page turn to a new chapter). Example: The Catalog and 1 or 2 books.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #13
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Spiffy
spotted one of the most important improvement that could be made, that was not on the list: Library Management

I would settle for Integrating a Catalog of books on the device, that is generated by Calibre, that would allow a direct Jump (hyperlink) from the catalog page, to the book. Most of the (device library) information is already available to Calibre (AFAIK the path to the book is not stored in the present catalog).

Another feature that would be useful, is the ability to have multiple documents active. to allow a quick flip between (no more time than a page turn to a new chapter). Example: The Catalog and 1 or 2 books.
Yes, the main improvements all need to exist to improve the reading experience. That's the only way to really distinguish yourselves in a market where Tablet computers will likely dip below $200 soon. I personally include "easily finding your books on your unit" in that category, although I know not everyone agrees. Physically though, the hardware doesn't need much. Just a good screen and good ergonomics.

The button placement and relative ergonomics of the Astak are pretty good already. Left side buttons mid-way up work pretty damn good for most people (righties tend to actually use their left hand to hold things and many OTHER devices make the huge mistake of putting buttons near the BOTTOM--which totally overbalances things). The rocker switch on the right side is also sweet.

So lets not fool with that stuff. The accelerometer suggestion, like PB360 is the closest I can come to suggesting ANY hardware change. Although frankly their built-in cover and the way you can flip the until upside down and reorient the screen (thus allowing the buttons to be either left side OR right side buttons) is also sweet. The problem with the PB360, of course, is the price--Astak has them beat and needs to run with that. Keep it up.

Keep the same philosophy of functional hardware without fluff added and improve the software. Expand their business by making models with LARGER screens, but still price them aggressively and don't assume people will want to pay more for features, like 3G or color screens or touch screen, which they don't really need. If they wanted those things, they'd be buying an iPad or Droid Tablet.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
None of the above.

Missing from that list is improved firmware, featuring more solid and logical on-device management of ebook files.

That could be called expensive in terms of development resources, but its cheap in terms of actual effect on the hardware. Keep the hardware cheap, without unnecessary feature clutter. But file maintenance is less of a feature and more of a necessity. It's not like Wifi or 3G, which are total gravy which other companies are trying to persuade consumers are absolutely necessary. They aren't.

Although Wifi may not actually be that expensive to add, come to think of it. The chipset isn't very expensive and there are no ancillary costs like with 3G. The problem is that I bet Wifi would affect battery life... so why bother? If its added make sure its not an "always on" kind of situation and has to be manually turned on.

Larger screen? Great. But maintain the smaller cheaper ones as well on at least one model. Anything over 6 inches isn't NECESSARY, its a luxury, but its certainly more worthwhile than most "features".

Keyboards? Hell no. Why? Just why?

Keep the SD slot. I don't care if the unit could be $10 cheaper without it--you need it.

Sealed in batteries are stupid. I'm not sure how that's a cost issue though. Are sealed in batteries CHEAPER to produce?

Backlighting is an interesting question. I honestly don't know. Don't need one with the current model, but I can conceive of designs where it might be a good thing. Just don't go adding a touch screen, okay? Too little bang for the buck. Ditto for color screens.

[SNIP clock discussion]

So here's what's important:

Absolutely essential:
1.) Reading your books
[fairly large gap]
Fairly essential:
2.) MANAGING your books
[gigantic gap]
Somewhat essential:
3.) wide format support, accessible battery, SD slot
[SNIP lower priority items]

Another thing besides file management not on the poll is a feature similar to the Pocketbook 360's accelerometer page turning feature. It actually sounds more useful (and cheaper to produce) than a touch screen. It's probably not an expensive device if they can add it to cheap video game controllers. I'd rate it like "Wifi"--potentially useful, but only if its implemented correctly and doesn't add much cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Spiffy

I'd like to follow up on what Spiffy and theducks wrote above. The reading experience is absolutely the top priority. This includes screen quality, physical ergonomics (button placement, etc.), the reading software itself (covering typography, fonts -- both choice and size, speed of page changes, etc.), weight of the device and much more.

Library management is another big issue. Fortunately, there's a pretty simple solution for this one -- OPDS support! OPDS is a standard-in-the-making for presenting catalogs of ebooks. If your device supports OPDS catalogs both remotely (over wi-fi, or by USB, or whatever) and also on-device, your users can easily get books from any provider that supports OPDS. That includes fictionwise, smashwords, your own EZRead web-site (if you did a bit more work). More importantly, it also includes the user's own Calibre server for their own library. Nearest and dearest to my heart, on-device OPDS support lets the user have convenient access to the books on the device, sorted (and sliced and diced) in exactly the way that makes best sense to the user. Calibre plus Calibre2opds combine to provide sensible hierarchic access to even the largest libraries.

Combining official support for on-device OPDS with an SD-card slot (better if SDHC) would be a KILLER FEATURE for anyone with a large library -- and large means only a few hundred books. The only currently-shipping device that provides this combination today is a soft-rooted Nook. Not having to soft-root a device would be a substantial improvement.

I voted for Wi-Fi, but only because I want remote access to my books on my home server -- via OPDS, of course. Web browsing matters only for that access. That said, my server looks to the outside world like a password-protected https-only web-site running on a non-standard port -- so I'd want all of that to work via the wi-fi.

Xenophon
(writing from the "give 'em an inch and they want a mile" department)
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Robertb, I've got a dumb question... are you talking about ebook readers, or those... what's it called... MID things? Because I would vote differently for the different devices. I am extremely happy with my Pocket Pro, and probably wouldn't change anything about it. (I noticed 5" wasn't listed on the poll. I love that it fits so well in my purse!) But if you're talking about something that does more than just read books, I'd have to think about that differently when voting. Thanks!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote