Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #16
FrozenRiver
FrozenRiver began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
Hello, porkupan... Does the jailbreak that you suggested help with the installation of usbNetwork? I need it because I need to "register" my kindle, so that I can use the collection feature of 2.5. I am using a DX US outside the US, and so I cannot register it via whispernet.

Thanks.
FrozenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
Porkupan: You mentioned the Unicode Hack. I am 72 and need a different font. Would that do it and where can I download it? Thanks. I wish I was as sharp as you young folk.
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Yes, 2.5.2 is just as hackable as 2.3. The "tarbomb" doesn't work, that is true. But jailbreaking is possible, and it has been achieved (many thanks to our Chinese comrades-in-arms who came up with the idea without knowing they were coming up with the idea for a general jailbreak).
Actually, they're still using the tarbomb. But they're exploiting the default update script that we already have a signature for, and it extracts the tarbomb to overwrite the signing key. This needs to be fixed, however, as there's no reason to overwrite the key, just install a new one. The update scripts use any keys in the directory. Then the "jailbreak" wouldn't have to be uninstalled.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Actually, they're still using the tarbomb.
"They" who?

Quote:
But they're exploiting the default update script that we already have a signature for, and it extracts the tarbomb to overwrite the signing key. This needs to be fixed, however, as there's no reason to overwrite the key, just install a new one. The update scripts use any keys in the directory. Then the "jailbreak" wouldn't have to be uninstalled.
I'll look into it. The idea to substitute the primary key was jyavenard's, we just got it to work on 2.5. I don't have access to a Kindle at this moment, so I cannot dump the filesystem and take a look at the updater script. If you post it here, or at least post the part where it picks the public key from /etc/uks, I will make a new jailbreak. Probably.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
Hello, porkupan... Does the jailbreak that you suggested help with the installation of usbNetwork? I need it because I need to "register" my kindle, so that I can use the collection feature of 2.5. I am using a DX US outside the US, and so I cannot register it via whispernet.

Thanks.
Here it is. A word of caution: I have not tested this package (at some point I installed it on 2.3 and then upgraded to 2.5, and it didn't stop working). I am 99% sure it works, but you cannot sue me for the loss of your Kindle if it doesn't.

The way you install it is like this:
1) jailbreak
2) install this package
3) uninstall jailbreak (optional)
Attached Files
File Type: gz usbnetwork25-0.11.tar.gz (1.53 MB, 3029 views)
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #21
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
Quote:
Here it is. A word of caution: I have not tested this package (at some point I installed it on 2.3 and then upgraded to 2.5, and it didn't stop working). I am 99% sure it works, but you cannot sue me for the loss of your Kindle if it doesn't.

The way you install it is like this:
1) jailbreak
2) install this package
3) uninstall jailbreak (optional)
Thanks for the file. What a hopeful news.

I have a questions, since 3) is optional, does this mean regular firmwares can still be used with jailbreak installed? (as some previous post suggested, not overwriting the key but appending one?)
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #22
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post

Thanks.
Can usbNetwork really be used to register DX US? (to enable collection feature in 2.5, of course.)

Many of my colleagues are outside US with DX US - for me, I am abroad with k2i. lucky me I am not sure but, I think I've read somewhere about some real Whispernet tower ID is necessary to register the device.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #23
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by test011 View Post
I have a questions, since 3) is optional, does this mean regular firmwares can still be used with jailbreak installed? (as some previous post suggested, not overwriting the key but appending one?)
No, it doesn't. To install regular firmware you will have to remove jailbreak. However, if you are planning to install more hacks/updates, you may not want to remove the jailbreak until you are fully done. Don't forget that for package uninstalls you will need to re-apply the jailbreak (unless by then an install method not requiring a separate jailbreak is invented).

I suggest you try to select packages, which do not require uninstall when upgrading the stock firmware. usbnetwork is one of those, the font substitution hack is another.

If instead of overwriting /etc/uks/pubprodkey01.pem we were making /etc/uks/pubprodkey05.pem, the jailbreak wouldn't need to be removed. However I would need some proof that such a jailbreak would actually work.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #24
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Can usbNetwork really be used to register DX US?
Well, here are the instructions. Why not try following them, and see what happens?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
"They" who?
My bad. I had wrongly assumed the exploit was from some unnamed Chinese hackers.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #26
test011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well, here are the instructions. Why not try following them, and see what happens?

I would like to. Mine still has warranty too.

But the fact that I am oversea, one of those remote corner of world where Amazon does not ship Kindle directly endows me with just about $160 replacement shipping (by proxy) and customs - yes they set taxes, tariff and VAT, on replacement unit here - if my kindle goes brick, and forces me to think again.

So, naturally, as second choice, I let my colleagues know about this post. (...and waiting in relative safety) One of them is bound to try soon. hehe oops. I shouldn't say this, should I?

Last edited by test011; 06-16-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #27
test011
Connoisseur

BTW, is there anyway to trick the device to reinstall stock firmware again? (install same version again or downgrade, etc.)
Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #28
RenegadeScribe
RenegadeScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
BTW, is there anyway to trick the device to reinstall stock firmware again? (install same version again or downgrade, etc.)
I'd love to find out if this could be done also.

Alex
RenegadeScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #29
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Amazon probably has a complete image somewhere, which they install on the new Kindles. However, they are not releasing it to the public. As far as I know there is no easy way to reinstall the complete image of an earlier version of Kindle firmware out there in the hacking world.

Not that it can't be done. One can hook up the serial port, and burn the image via uBoot. One can make an update, which will reflash the entire Rootfs. It is possible, but it requires some rather serious Linux skills.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #30
test011
Connoisseur

The idea is that overwriting with stock firmware - released on Az's web site - over on a broken device - not completely broken, but mild troubles, something like normal stock firmware refuses to be installed, one of font is missing or unknown hacks applied and so on - since same version of firmware cannot be installed.

Last edited by test011; 06-17-2010 at 06:32 AM.