Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #31
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
As far as I know, that's not RAM, that's internal storage space (think "hard disk").
Yep, 64 vs. 512 MB is the flash memory. Both have 16MB RAM, IIRC.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #32
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
It's impossible to install current pocketbook firmware on cybook. AFAIK, they've got different bootloaders and incompatible update procedures.

However, pocketbook developers have announced a modified version for other netronix clones. They're planning to sell it to the end customers.

Last edited by lunohod; 03-19-2009 at 07:59 PM.
lunohod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #33
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Hip hip hoorraaaaaaay!! We finally have an alternative. Awesome news. Thanks.

Please, could you keep us posted about their progress in this area. It's pretty difficult to follow what's going on on their website if one doesn't speak russian or ukrainian. Thanks.

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-20-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:04 AM   #34
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yes, sorry, I meant flash memory, as a hard disk.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Hip hip hoorraaaaaaay!! We finally have an alternative. Awesome news. Thanks.

Please, could you keep us posted about their progress in this area. It's pretty difficult to follow what's going on on their website if one doesn't speak russian or ukrainian. Thanks.
The Google Language Tools are pretty good at translating those 2 languages.
http://www.google.com/language_tools
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #36
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Another example that pocketbook guys are serious about what they're doing and of some good thinking is that they started pocketbook free project and released a SDK.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #37
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I'm not sure that providing a SDK nor making a free project make people more serious than others
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #38
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

@ Godzil
Then you should maybe consider passing comments only on things you ARE sure about.Because unlike you, I have no doubt about it.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #39
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
@ Godzil
Then you should maybe consider passing comments only on things you ARE sure about.Because unlike you, I have no doubt about it.
Here I must strongly disagree...

Providing a SDK and making a free project are pure business decisions.
Just like Open Office is open and Microsoft Office is not. Nobody in their right minds can claim that microsoft isn't serious though..

I would prefer it if you came with arguments instead of accusations..
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #40
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Here I must strongly disagree...

Providing a SDK and making a free project are pure business decisions.
Just like Open Office is open and Microsoft Office is not. Nobody in their right minds can claim that microsoft isn't serious though..

I would prefer it if you came with arguments instead of accusations..
What are you talking about? Who did I accuse and of what exactly? All I said was that the pocketbook staff seems to be serious about what they're doing period. I haven't made any hints or insinuations to anyone.
And you can disagree all you want, nevertheless, the example you provided proves my point.
If a company is big and wealthy, it has enough funds to put into development and naturally it expects to turn profit, so it keeps its product closed to protect its investments and benefit from the innovations it came up with. On the other hand if you have a small company and you can't afford to spend a lot of money on huge teams of programmers (which I assumed was the case with pocketbook), you put your code out there, provide a sdk and let the community do the rest for you. You create a platform and coordinate the efforts. This will be beneficial for both the company and the users. If the platform is rich in features it becomes succesful, it grows in popularity and so does your product. The sales go up and you make more money. And the fact that pocketbook realized this is IMO some clever thinking on pocketbook's part.
You can argue with me, but the time will tell, all we have to do is to follow the situation around pocketbook. My guess is that it will become a popular platform.

Addendum:
For me being serious means to do the best thing under the given circumstances. Microsoft's revenue proves the best how serious they are. According to that, they're VERY SERIOUS! I have nothing but respect for them.

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-26-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #41
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post

Cybook : 200Mghz , 16k ram (Say bookeen website)
pocketbook : 400Mghz, 32k ram. sdhc (Say pocket book website),
http://translate.google.fr/translate...hl=fr&ie=UTF-8

So, even if you can install, and unless pocketbook put more horsepower in thier hardware than needed, it's likley to lag horibly. Game Over ! Period.

Sorry to cold down the enthusiasm here. But unless there are some gen 3 Cybook with 400Mgh proc, as rumored, and you're lucky enough to have one of these, well.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-26-2009 at 04:34 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #42
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Cybook : 200Mghz , 16k ram (Say bookeen website)
pocketbook : 400Mghz, 32k ram. sdhc (Say pocket book website),
http://translate.google.fr/translate...hl=fr&ie=UTF-8

So, even if you can install, and unless pocketbook put more horsepower in thier hardware than needed, it's likley to lag horibly. Game Over ! Period.

Sorry to cold down the enthusiasm here. But unless there are some gen 3 Cybook with 400Mgh proc, as rumored, and you're lucky enough to have one of these, well.
You can't install pocketbook's fw unless they make a customized version of their FW for cybook. Pocketbook's FW also runs on eb100, so if the first condition is met, this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #43
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
What are you talking about? Who did I accuse and of what exactly? All I said was that the pocketbook staff seems to be serious about what they're doing period. I haven't made any hints or insinuations to anyone.
And you can disagree all you want, nevertheless, the example you provided proves my point.
If a company is big and wealthy, it has enough funds to put into development and naturally it expects to turn profit, so it keeps its product closed to protect its investments and benefit from the innovations it came up with. On the other hand if you have a small company and you can't afford to spend a lot of money on huge teams of programmers (which I assumed was the case with pocketbook), you put your code out there, provide a sdk and let the community do the rest for you. You create a platform and coordinate the efforts. This will be beneficial for both the company and the users. If the platform is rich in features it becomes succesful, it grows in popularity and so does your product. The sales go up and you make more money. And the fact that pocketbook realized this is IMO some clever thinking on pocketbook's part.
You can argue with me, but the time will tell, all we have to do is to follow the situation around pocketbook. My guess is that it will become a popular platform.

Addendum:
For me being serious means to do the best thing under the given circumstances. Microsoft's revenue proves the best how serious they are. According to that, they're VERY SERIOUS! I have nothing but respect for them.
I guess we have a little misunderstanding here.
I'm not questioning the fact that the pocketbook staff seems to be serious about what they are doing. All I'm saying is that there is no better way. There are pro's and con's in both ways. And I didn't comment on your first post about the seriousness of the pocketbook staff but merely on your reply to Godzil where you implicitly claim that people at pocketbook are more serious about their business than people at cybook. I don't believe that's true. They make different business decisions, and yes, maybe even better ones. Time will tell. But both companys are evenly serious about what they are doing.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #44
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Hm, yeah, it probably got lost somewhere in the translation.
I didn't mean no offence.
Maybe I should rephrase that. I honestly think that providing an open platform and a sdk is a better bussiness decision. But who am I to say.

*for a small company with limited resources, that is

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-26-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:11 AM   #45
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
You can't install pocketbook's fw unless they make a customized version of their FW for cybook. Pocketbook's FW also runs on eb100, so if the first condition is met, this shouldn't be an issue.
Except there are two versions of eb100. The pocketbook have a processor twice more powerfull, and twice more ram the the Cybook. The firmeware might NEED that extra power to work properly.

Then the cybook not being exactly the same, it will requiers adding drivers for the few stuff that changes. (Well, that can be done all right)

Yeah, having more than one firmware to chose from would be nice, but i don't see that happening anytime soon, so don't hold your breath for it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote