Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Offline CSS Validator?

Does anyone know of a CSS Validator that works without an Internet connection? Everything I've found seems to require a live Internet connection to access W3C.

I did find this page, which has command-line instructions. The instructions are a little over my head and I couldn't get it to work, but it seems you still need an Internect connection: https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/DOWNLOAD.html

Thanks for any help!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The command-line instructions are for running the jar directly, versus running a local server and using it via a browser.
Either way you need no internet (unless you want to use someone else's remote instance --- e.g. the W3.org copy).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ooh! That's what I want — running the jar without internet! But I couldn't get it to work. I downloaded the css-validator.jar file and tried a bunch of Terminal commands based on java -jar css-validator.jar, but no joy.

I think I'm missing the prerequistes — source code? Java servlet container? All that is beyond my technical skills. Can you tell me whether I need more than the css-validator.jar file, a terminal window, and JRE 8? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2016, 01:45 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like it also depends on some java .jar's from Jigsaw.

Java programs tend to be awkward that way.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:38 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Does anyone know of a CSS Validator that works without an Internet connection?
Shameless plug: Install Sigil and my CSSLint plugin.

Note that CSSLint has been optimized for websites. I.e. it'll flag some issues that are irrelevant for ePubs.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg

Thanks eschwartz! Sadly, Jigsaw is beyond my technical skills

Thanks Doitsu! I will check it out!

Last edited by odamizu; 04-13-2016 at 01:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As far as I know, you don't HAVE to have a working Apache with Jigsaw or Tomcat installation, but there is a missing jar library from the download that would prevent it from working from the command line.

Most advice I've seen is to install ant and build from a full CVS source configured to point to the necessary servlet jar (which can be pulled from a binary Tomcat package if necessary).

I've not gotten around to trying it myself yet, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That's what I said -- it depends on one or more *.jar's from Jigsaw.

Building it from source appears to be beyond the OP's technical skills, though.

(Also, that is VCS, not CVS -- unless you truly mean that ancient version control system which isn't being used here regardless. As typos go, that one is always good. )
Old 04-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
(Also, that is VCS, not CVS -- unless you truly mean that ancient version control system which isn't being used here regardless. As typos go, that one is always good. )
VCS indeed.
I didn't want to look up what specific system they were using.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:09 AM   #10
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
... Building it from source appears to be beyond the OP's technical skills, though ...
Sadly, eschwartz is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... install ant and build from a full CVS source configured to point to the necessary servlet jar (which can be pulled from a binary Tomcat package if necessary) ...
Sadly, everything you just said went way over my head

Last edited by odamizu; 04-15-2016 at 10:40 PM.