Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Enchant
Enchant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-t1
I want to be able to turn off page numbers. Possible?

One thing that always annoys/distracts me when reading is what page I'm on. I've been in the habit of constantly checking since High School and then College, because I couldn't wait to be done so I could go and play video games. Now as an adult I love to read but I still have that habit.

I love e-readers because they might offer the possibility of a totally pure page with only prose on it. Personally, I can't understand why this isn't the norm anyway.

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by Enchant; 01-20-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Enchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Enchant

I take it this is not possible
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Before I added PRS + to my old Sony ereader, I could not hide the page numbers. Instead I took the sticky portion of a post it note, colored it black with a magic marker and cut it to fit over where the bottom bar shows on the ereader screen.

You could try an office supply technique like this. Or you could modify your reader with PRS plus which should let you hide the page numbers.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm pretty sure PRS+ is only for the older Sony readers, the x50 line and back. It was never developed for the T1-T3 readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Enchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'm pretty sure PRS+ is only for the older Sony readers, the x50 line and back. It was never developed for the T1-T3 readers.
A brief window of false resolution. Ah, fate!
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If you have a T1 or T2 below a certain firmware version, you could root it and maybe a 3rd party e-reader app might have the option not to display page numbers. It's lot of messing about though, and I'm not sure any reader app offers this option.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Simply duct tape over that small portion of the screen - QED.

There will not be a software solution as the page number bit of the screen also acts as the tap-here interface to document navigation i.e. to TOC etc.

anyway there's no way to NOT know how much is left with a paper book, so why bother to code for it in ebook firmware

train yourself to NOT look there, or append 1000 or so blank pages to each book, if you simply have to obfuscate

PS the original kindles did not do page numbers - Amazon caved in after 1000s of complaints & fixed that, but you could probably sill find an old model on ebay
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I hardly ever look at the page numbers when I'm reading, even if it's a book that's slow moving and I'm not really into yet. But I do want it there when I want to know what page I'm on (just like having the time always displayed in the same bottom bar, complements of PRS+). I just don't even look at that bottom bar of info unless I need to. In fact, I'd purposely stay away from any ereader that didn't display the page numbers.

Possibly finding a book you're really into will start you unconsciously just avoiding the page numbers. It's not something I trained myself to do or not to do, my mind just keeps focusing on the text of the book. If you start to turn the page before the last few words of the last line, it really doesn't give you any time to focus on the page numbers. Try starting to turn the page a bit sooner than you need to maybe will help.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:52 AM   #9
Enchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
anyway there's no way to NOT know how much is left with a paper book, so why bother to code for it in ebook firmware

PS the original kindles did not do page numbers - Amazon caved in after 1000s of complaints & fixed that, but you could probably sill find an old model on ebay
Well, ebooks don't have to just emulate paper books. I would prefer pages in paper books as well to not have numbers on them. It's just a convention that allows for citing which only really happens in academia. I never use the page numbers for anything when I read. I'd like a more beautiful, simpler page -- no quantities, just the pretty prose.

As for the old model kindle -- didn't they have a percentage bar instead? Do you know if it was possible to turn that off? Thanks