Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
LTE tethering as 4G replacement ( my own test )

Well,

Decided to make my own test and tethered my iPad air for over of 3 hrs using my Tmobile iPhone 5. And while not impressed, the cellphone's battery consumption was not too bad. It used an average of 15% power every hour. Extrapolating those numbers, I would say the iPhone should give around 9 hrs of tethering.

Here's what I got:

LTE hotspot test (via Bluetooth )

77% at 7:41pm
62% at 8:43 pm
48% at 9:45 pm
40% at 10:58 pm
27% at 12:00 am

Few clarifications: cellphone was not fully charged, and 1st two hours I browsed Internet a lot. I didn't stream videos.

I also used Bluetooth, not wifi, to save some power. It wasn't shocking fast, but good enough for downloading webpages.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-10-2013 at 11:14 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
LTE drains batteries like crazy. It's a known problem. My S2 Skyrocket suffered huge batty drain whenever I used it. If it was just 3G or 4G on its own, it probably would be close to 2-5% battery usage.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
LTE tethering as 4G replacement ( my own test )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
LTE drains batteries like crazy. It's a known problem. My S2 Skyrocket suffered huge batty drain whenever I used it. If it was just 3G or 4G on its own, it probably would be close to 2-5% battery usage.
But ...

Based on those numbers, it looks it can be a good substitute if wifi is not near close.

I kind of had an idea was going to use a lot of battery, but wanted to do my own test. It was not too bad, in my opinion. For a one hour usage, like an emergency or at lunch time, when taking a break, it may do the trick.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote