Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
jackibar
Enthusiast
jackibar began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone apps
Word to html or Mobi

Is there any method or plugin that would take a Word document and convert to CLEAN html or Mobi formats?! Or maybe that would clean up inputted Word html in general? I'm used to creating mobi books manually but I have a client who has a ton of books she's created in Word and she's wanting to convert them to Kindle format. When I save Word to html it is horrid so I'm looking for a way to get it cleaned up.
jackibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackibar View Post
Is there any method or plugin that would take a Word document and convert to CLEAN html or Mobi formats?! Or maybe that would clean up inputted Word html in general? I'm used to creating mobi books manually but I have a client who has a ton of books she's created in Word and she's wanting to convert them to Kindle format. When I save Word to html it is horrid so I'm looking for a way to get it cleaned up.
Open Office/Libre Office has Writer2EPUB plugin. Works pretty good.
Since both are Free, why not try and see. All it take is Disk Space
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Normally if in Word you save to "Web Page (filtered) the HTML that is generated is not bad. It is when you use the other HTML option that you get really bad HTML.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why not look at Toxaris's Word macro for clean HTML code?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
jackibar
Enthusiast
jackibar began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Normally if in Word you save to "Web Page (filtered) the HTML that is generated is not bad. It is when you use the other HTML option that you get really bad HTML.
I'm on a Mac and don't see the filtered option - that must only be on the PC version
jackibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm on a Mac and don't see the filtered option - that must only be on the PC version
@jackibar - I do a lot of Word to EPUB and Mobi

For straight forward documents I save as RTF and convert it with Calibre, I save as filtered HTML if I have tables, endnotes, web links etc.

Make sure your friend has used Word to do the formatting - basically no manual tabbing for horizontal spacing and no extra lines for vertical spacing etc - instead use Word's style features.

The HTML that you get from any word processor is never going to be as compact as HTML that you craft by hand, no matter how you convert it.

The Open Office Writer2Epub path could be an option - but you will have to install OOo for Mac.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Take all your formatting and convert it to text markup. _italic_ *bold* and put in comments where you need to know to fix things. Then save a plain old fashioned text. Then take that text into Sigil to make into an ePub. Once the ePub is created, take that and load it into Calibre and convert that to Mobi or KF8 (if you prefer) and there you go, done.

This is actually the easiest way to do it. Easier then having to install Open Office and whatnot. Plus, it means the source is very clean and by hand crafting it, you have total control over how it looks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Actually jackibar would have to

do for each book in the client's ton of books

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take all your formatting and convert it to text markup. _italic_ *bold* and put in comments where you need to know to fix things. Then save a plain old fashioned text. Then take that text into Sigil to make into an ePub. Once the ePub is created, take that and load it into Calibre and convert that to Mobi or KF8 (if you prefer) and there you go, done.

This is actually the easiest way to do it. Easier then having to install Open Office and whatnot. Plus, it means the source is very clean and by hand crafting it, you have total control over how it looks.
endo

Now the work is truly done and and jackibar can send his/her client the bill ^o)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-14-2013 at 02:00 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote