Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Right - to use it outdoors, I have had to use a black case, to cover up the SILVER bezel on my Sony 950, and the idiotically chromed buttons at the bottom of the screen are still infuriating, when you get sunlight flares into your eyeballs.

Danger - you are talking about reflections from the glass, not the e-ink display, which only works with light coming at it from the front. This is as opposed to an LED screen such as the Kobo Arc and all color tablets, which have a backlight, and do not reflect light coming from the front.

You may have seen the Kindle commercials, which point out that one cannot read an LED color tablet display outside in sunlight, as opposed to the e-ink display on monochrome e-readers, which only work with light shining on the surface.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #17
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
You may have seen the Kindle commercials, which point out that one cannot read an LED color tablet display outside in sunlight, as opposed to the e-ink display on monochrome e-readers, which only work with light shining on the surface.
I've read outside with a Kobo Vox, an iPod Touch, a Galaxy Nexus, and a Kindle - you CAN read outside with the glass LCD/OLED displays, but they get washed out, if not completely unreadable, in bright sun. But they're not nearly as nice as the creamy whiteness of a Pearl Vizplex display, which is almost as nice as paper outside.

Still, as far as bezel colors, I prefer dark ones, to improve perceived contrast. The Sony PRS series have always seemed to go for either shiny colors or silver... in contrast to the matte graphite color of the later-gen Kindles, or the optional black of some of the Kobos.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
We have two Kobos on the go in our house. My husband's have always had the dark bezel and I have had the white one. I suppose I could buy a skin if I wanted to change that. There are a lot of choices available. I've heard good things, in particular, about gelaskins. I'd expect it to take a bit until they are available for the new devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I've got a decalgirl.com skin on my T1 and rate them very highly. They do skins for the existing Kobo's but like you say, it could take a little while until they get the new devices 'covered'.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I tried a matte black skin on the Sony 950, but getting it to fit perfectly was simply not possible.

Last edited by EldRick; 09-26-2012 at 02:11 AM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #21
supersomz
supersomz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can you use the silver,pink, white back covers with the black color unit (with black bezel)?
supersomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #22
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersomz View Post
Can you use the silver,pink, white back covers with the black color unit (with black bezel)?
My understanding is that only the Mini has exchangeable covers. It's a shame, because it would be great to have a black page surround with a coloured back cover.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
The all white Touch (pearl white) was definitely the best colour. My original was white and I didn't realize how good it was until I got an RMA black one. Now I have visible finger marks all over the bezel
I've used an unusual procedure but it works for me. I own a black Glo, and frustrated by these annoying fingerprints I've decided to take the bull by the horns: with my fingers 'oiled' on the forehead (never on the nose!!) I rubbed the bezel until fully covered.
Now I can touch the bezel without leaving remarkable fingerprints. Some that still become visible I can blur easily.
There's a slight reflection added, but it's not interfering my daily reading. If you don't like the result, just wipe the bezel with a Kleenex.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote