Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
ste9hen
ste9hen began at the beginning.

Device: sony mobile
Smile Sony has anounced PDF support at CES!

Sony has just anounced PDF support at CES!

Check out engadget for Sony CES conference.
ste9hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste9hen View Post
Sony has just anounced PDF support at CES!

Check out engadget for Sony CES conference.
"And the PRS-505 -- announcing support for PDFs!" I hope the details turn out well for us. Like Adobe DE. And generally better support for A4 and letter formatted PDFs. And, of course, the same for the PRS-500. I can't wait to hear!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
So does this mean they are finally admitting that current PDF support is abysmal?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
What is the significance here? Am new to the e-reader world.Just got a 505 and have downloaded a couple of PDF documents which are readable although the font size is VERY small. These weren't e-books but rather normal documents.

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
What is the significance here? Am new to the e-reader world.Just got a 505 and have downloaded a couple of PDF documents which are readable although the font size is VERY small. These weren't e-books but rather normal documents.

Thanks
I guess the significance would be if this announcement meant the anticipated support of Digital Editions. This would allow DRM'd PDFs to be viewed on the Reader. PDF is one of the formats many libraries use for ebooks (Mobi being the other).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still looking for more info, so I don't know exactly what they announced. My guess is that the 505 will support Adobe DE.

As for my snide remark, I had a PRS500. I thought the way it displayed PDFs was horrible.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
...have downloaded a couple of PDF documents which are readable although the font size is VERY small.
For most of us, I think, this is precisely the issue.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I've followed up with a couple emails and a message left on voice mail. Let's see what happens.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
Kasracer
Kasracer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't understand why they were so vague. PDF Support? We already have that...

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to Engadget and Sony's CES folks so maybe we can get some answers.
Kasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
I don't understand why they were so vague. PDF Support? We already have that...

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to Engadget and Sony's CES folks so maybe we can get some answers.
The Sony Readers are at best marginally useful for PDFs. I would say if they make it so that the Readers can be used to read typical A4- or letter-formatted PDFs without secondary conversions, then they would supporting PDFs. At the moment, they don't do that. Thanks for emailing them. I hope you hear good news!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I would say if they make it so that the Readers can be used to read typical A4- or letter-formatted PDFs without secondary conversions, then they would supporting PDFs.
There's absolutely no way to do that, unless they implement some sort of "panning" mechanism, which would probably be rather too slow on an eInk screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's absolutely no way to do that, unless they implement some sort of "panning" mechanism, which would probably be rather too slow on an eInk screen.
I assume you are right, but the panning which works on the Readers for jpeg images works okay. It would be a clunky but useful fix.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Link ?

Edit: Found it... http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/l...ss-conference/
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
The Sony Readers are at best marginally useful for PDFs. I would say if they make it so that the Readers can be used to read typical A4- or letter-formatted PDFs without secondary conversions, then they would supporting PDFs. At the moment, they don't do that. Thanks for emailing them. I hope you hear good news!

If the Reader had a more controllable zoom mechanism, it would be possible to trim out blank page margins and fill the available screen real estate with text. For example, infinitely variable zoom (in conjunction with landscape orientation) makes the iPhone surprisingly usable for PDFs, even with its much smaller screen.

A flexible zoom would make the Reader's relatively huge screen usable in landscape mode with 99% of PDF ebooks without horizontal panning -- but I'm guessing that E-Ink's slow refresh makes iPhone-style, interactively adjustable zoom impossible while the Reader's clunky cursor control limits other options. Sony will have to rethink both the hardware controls and the software interface to make it happen, but it should be possible.
gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Or if they've got a way to reflow the rascals.

Personally, I'm hoping that this is an ill-informed reference to DE.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote