Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
On Amazon's product page for that book it states that it is only available for Kindle Fire, Kindle Cloud Reader, Kindle for iPad, and Kindle for Android.
Yes; it has "enhanced content" (probably embedded sound and/or video) as I suggested in my previous post. But I thought that the previous poster was suggesting that Kindle for PC had stopped working for him, not that he couldn't deliver a particular book to Kindle for PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #62
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But I thought that the previous poster was suggesting that Kindle for PC had stopped working for him, not that he couldn't deliver a particular book to Kindle for PC.
Here is citac's original post in this thread (highlighting mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
My Kindle4PC expired yesterday, and after installing the new version, I can no longer access one book. It tells me that download failed because the item is not compatible with this device. This is the same book I had trouble with during one of the last updates. It is frankly, !#$% annoying.
He later mentioned that particular book's title, so I thought I'd point out that it wasn't designed to work in K4PC and let him know that's mentioned on the Amazon product page.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
He later mentioned that particular book's title, so I thought I'd point out that it wasn't designed to work in K4PC and let him know that's mentioned on the Amazon product page.
Thanks - I didn't spot that in the original post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #64
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
My old version of Kindle (1.83.36179) won't start anymore either. Absolutely nothing happens when the icon is clicked. I hadn't started it for a few days before today.
I did get the "you need to upgrade" warnings a while back indicating my older version would stop working, had investigated, and the info here & other places seemed to indicate that Amazon replied the warnings were given in error, and older versions would not expire. My program is set to 'never upgrade without approval', and i hadn't seen any recent warnings.
Interesting, this particular result (the program not even starting, not just stopping working as it used to). I'm sure it's just my cynical suspicious side, and I'm not an IT guy, but it seems to imply one of 2 scenarios.
1) All older versions of Kindle (within a certain range) had a 'bug' or expiration date built in, which just happened to be the same expiration date across multiple versions.
or:
2) Amazon reached out and 'killed' the programs without user consent.

Yeah, sounds paranoid, but.... a typical failure of a program to cease working wouldn't keep the program from starting on a local PC, it just wouldn't do it's intended function anymore. I've heard tales of this kind of thing happening (intentionally or not) through automatic updates if enabled.

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentE View Post
1) All older versions of Kindle (within a certain range) had a 'bug' or expiration date built in, which just happened to be the same expiration date across multiple versions.
or:
2) Amazon reached out and 'killed' the programs without user consent.
According to Amazon it's 1. Installing new version should fix it. My netbook doesn't like the newer versions but what can you do.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #66
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
On Amazon's product page for that book it states that it is only available for Kindle Fire, Kindle Cloud Reader, Kindle for iPad, and Kindle for Android.
OK - that's confusing because I distinctly remember being able to access the book on my Kindle4PC after one of the updates. It was for a short time, I started reading it, and then couldn't any more. Perhaps it was an oversight on their side?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #67
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Yes; it has "enhanced content" (probably embedded sound and/or video) as I suggested in my previous post. But I thought that the previous poster was suggesting that Kindle for PC had stopped working for him, not that he couldn't deliver a particular book to Kindle for PC.
I did not notice any enhanced content, either sound or video; the book is a graphic novel, and is readable on my Android.

(Also, not that you can know in advance, but I'm a woman. Just changed that in my profile, so that it's visible in the future.)
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #68
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
That's interesting - when I tried to run my old K4PC 1.4.1 it didn't give me any sort of "you must upgrade" message, it just wouldn't run at all. No error message or anything.

Downloaded and installed 1.10.1. Had to deregister and reregister, hence delete all my Kindle content, which is a minor irritation.

A quick check shows that the tools still seem to work OK.
Thank you, thank you! I was also hit by K4PC 1.4.1 not doing anything at all. The bit I've bolded in your message was what was starting to cause me to rip hair out after updating to latest K4PC.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #69
LiseRayes
Enthusiast
LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: B&N Nook, Asus MemoPad,
Thank you so much! I was really worried when my K4PC would not start since I am located outside of the US and wondered if amazon was killing all its foreign customers. (Although I only get free ebooks and I am not a paying customer since amazon won't allow me to buy from them )
I uninstalled the old version, deregistered then installed the newer version and reregistered and now everything is back to normal.
LiseRayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #70
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Well, I'm glad to see that it works for some people anyway. I've been involved in a discussion on the Amazon discussion site about this issue and it appears lots of people are having this problem with no fix in site so far.

When I double click on my Kindle for pc icon, whether it's the shortcut on my desktop, or the exe file in the start menu, nothing happens. I see the hourglass icon next to my cursor for a second and then nothing. I've deinstalled kindle for pc multiple times, deleted folders, cleaned out registry entries, deregistered my kindle, moved the contents folder to a different location, all kinds of stuff. I've downloaded kindle for pc from amazon multiple times, tried to install it using run as administrator and still nothing.

At this point, I'm glad the books I had actually purchased I ran through calibre, otherwise I would have no access to them. Oh well, I did enjoy the occasional freebie from Amazon, but I guess no more.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Well, I'm glad to see that it works for some people anyway. I've been involved in a discussion on the Amazon discussion site about this issue and it appears lots of people are having this problem with no fix in site so far.

When I double click on my Kindle for pc icon, whether it's the shortcut on my desktop, or the exe file in the start menu, nothing happens. I see the hourglass icon next to my cursor for a second and then nothing. I've deinstalled kindle for pc multiple times, deleted folders, cleaned out registry entries, deregistered my kindle, moved the contents folder to a different location, all kinds of stuff. I've downloaded kindle for pc from amazon multiple times, tried to install it using run as administrator and still nothing.

At this point, I'm glad the books I had actually purchased I ran through calibre, otherwise I would have no access to them. Oh well, I did enjoy the occasional freebie from Amazon, but I guess no more.
This is a long shot but when the new K4PC came out I had program called ATF Cleaner that when ran deleted K4PC files and I had to reinstalled each time. I had to stop using it because of this but maybe it might delete whatever file that is causing it not to launch. It's a free program. It just cleans out temp files but there something that K4PC uses that it deletes everytime.

I would uninstall K4PC, Run ATF Cleaner then delete everything in your temp folder that's deletable. You can get to your temp folder by typing in %temp% in explorers' address bar. Also when you go to reinstall make sure UAC is off. You can turn it back on once done.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-05-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #72
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Thanks for that idea Blossom, that's one I haven't heard but, alas, it had the same result. I've never used ATF Cleaner, but I do use CCleaner all the time and it's never been an issue. Anyway, I followed your instructions with the same result in the end so I'll continue to wait and see if a fix is found. The frustrating thing is that I've been seriously considering buying a Kindle Fire, but now I think I'll hold off on that, especially since I tried out a Google Nexus 7 at Staples the other day.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #73
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
So I need to:

1) deregister Kindle for PC via the "Manage Your Kindle" section on Amazon site and then 2) download/install/register latest version of Kindle4PC.

What is not clear to me is whether I need to uninstall my current version of Kindle4PC. Apparently some people have not done so; they have just downloaded/installed new version. But it seems to me that doing so would make things cleaner. And perhaps run a registry cleaner to remove the bits that are usually left even after a program has been uninstalled.

If uninstalling current version, I assume that would be the next step after deregistering on Amazon site?
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #74
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
What I think I did (I tried lots of things!) was:
  1. Uninstall old version of K4PC
  2. Install latest version of K4PC
  3. Deregister my Amazon account from within K4PC settings (removing all current licenced content)
  4. Re-register my same Amazon account from within K4PC settings
  5. Sync my archived books
At no time did I do anything with registrations on the Amazon website itself.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #75
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
I may have been lucky, but I just installed the new version of K4PC. No uninstall. No deregister and re-register. It all seems to work.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote