Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #871
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
No good newson my part. New features are nice but then i made
some discoveries wrt 1.7 20121030 (release is in fact not marked as 1.8):

- New pdf reader is not 100% compatibile with scribbles made in old pdf reader. Most of the time they work (albeit look pale), but sometimes they appear misaligned and badly scaled. This has to do with page scaling bug (see below)... It is advisable that anyone who has scribbles not merged with original pdf merges them before upgrading. Don't know yet if this is permanent ie persits if you revert to previous firmware version.
- annotations merging bug is not fixed. Files with unmergeable annotations still cannot be merged. This bug got reported in April, its November now !!!
- update deletes web bookmarks
- in new reader a confirmation is needed before closing documents (this is plain idiocy, and very irritating)
- zoom levels saved in old firmware are recreated improperly in the new reader
- the new navigation bar gets corrupted
- in some files removing scribbles made in old firmware works improperly - the screen is only updated on page flips so you cant see what you remove
- screen keyboard is very slow in web browser if site has flash elements (this is recession to an old bug) - workaround is to turn off images loading
- password entering bug in web browser is not fixed in sites with flash elements
- website bookmarking doesnt work at all
- in scroll mode the page position is not saved
- grayscale bug is not fixed

All in all, it looks like Onyx did that again. Lots of new features, new bugs, old bugs not fixed. It is sham that software of this quality is offered as an "update". Frankly, I'm tired with this shit.

Last edited by janek; 10-30-2012 at 05:01 PM.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #872
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
- in new reader a confirmation is needed before closing documents (this is plain idiocy, and very irritating)
Not sure about the other things you are complaining, but this one is not that bad as you are saying above.
Many times instead of pressing on Next page (up or down) I pressed that button and the PDF reder exited without warning. I find the new confirmation screen usefull

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 10-30-2012 at 05:46 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #873
manograf
Nameless Being

hi

Is there any chance that the scribbling app can be fixed so that exporting does not only export the last page?
It would be convenient if eigher all pages or at least the current page would be exported.
Since it exports only the last page this feature is pretty useless

Another thing that would increase the usability of this app would be if there were icons in the toolbar to easily swich between write and erase (similar to the ones new pdf reader)

Nevertheless thanks for the new update!
Looking forward to the next one^^
Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #874
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
There are lots of minor fixes and improvements, which I am not keepeng in mind. Which important changes are you expecting in browser (in priority order)?
Booxtor, one and a half things does come to me after a little time to think, and I list them here in order of priority (to me) as requested:

1. Browser, when not auto-loading images - There was talk about having a place holder icon shown in place of the not-loaded image; a click on such an icon would load that particular image. I would very much welcome such an ability.
(This item is also on the wish list.)

2. Browser/net-speed. Somewhat diffuse, and I am not sure where exactly the issue lies, but... loading a page (even without images) is still much slower compared to other wireless devices. Is this something that can be/already is being looked at?
(Especially the time between wifi conx established and the 'first' entry page is finally loaded (i.e. the interval where the 'Connecting to xyz.com' message is displayed) is particularly long.)

3. Standby mode from inside browser stops wifi; and wifi is not resumed on wake-up. (It is subsequently necessary to jump up a level and enter again to 're-activate' wifi.)

And of course, as you know, I would very very much like the volume levels issue fixed!

I haven't yet had time to install this new f/w so if any of the above issues have already been dealt with, apologies... and I shall be happily corrected if you tell me that they have been!

Thanks for listening!

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 AM   #875
Echnaton
Echnaton began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Feedback to firmware update

I am not able to say much to pdf-reader as i read only e-pub-files via Cool-Reader. But the below 2 points are the most important ones for me.

1) I like the new added fonts - unfortunately the german umlauts are not displayed properly in most of them. Instead of ä, ö, ü i get a letter that looks a little bit like pi.

2) Still have issues with changing font in CoolReader. If i select a different font there is the need to play with the Joystick (up and down) to see the different font on the screen. But somehow it is not saved. Each time the reader is turned off, there is the need to reselect the new font. Same for font size.
Echnaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #876
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
I love 1.8
Thanks for the new update! The reader is amazing! =D

Quote:
All in all, it looks like Onyx did that again. Lots of new features, new bugs, old bugs not fixed. It is sham that software of this quality is offered as an "update". Frankly, I'm tired with this shit.
I think you are expecting too much. Even when updating Android Phone you have to backup old data. Sometimes you are loosing all your data (bookmarks, etc.) and often old things are not compatible with the "new software".

You are right that some old bugs are still there (like password input in browser). But lean back and enjoy the things that work.
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #877
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
No good newson my part. New features are nice but then i made
some discoveries wrt 1.7 20121030 (release is in fact not marked as 1.8):
Hi,
Quote:
annotations merging bug is not fixed. Files with unmergeable annotations still cannot be merged. This bug got reported in April, its November now !!!
- fixed and works fine on my side. I tried dozens of different PDFs (your linked too) and merging works fine. If you have still that issue please contact me.

Quote:
in new reader a confirmation is needed before closing documents (this is plain idiocy, and very irritating)
- it was wanted by lots of customers. I find it usefull

Quote:
zoom levels saved in old firmware are recreated improperly in the new reader
- will be fixed

Quote:
the new navigation bar gets corrupted
- What do you mean?

Quote:
website bookmarking doesnt work at all
- can't confirm. It wokrs on my side

Quote:
in scroll mode the page position is not saved
- Confirmed. Will be fixed

Last edited by Booxtor; 10-31-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #878
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I haven't tested thoroughly the firmware yet, but I consider myself in the group who find the new update to be successful overall. The pdf reader is significantly improved and probably offers the best reading experience for academic pdfs (which is the reason I bought M92 in the first place) of all readers on the market right now. The ability to customize the zoom level is very convinient. I also like the toolbar in the low right corner and the possibility to call the dictionary from there.

So I think that as far as features are concerned, the pdf reader is just right as it is. What I would like to see in further updates is to have some of the features in the pdf reader implemented for other formats, as well. For example, I have some two-column articles in the djvu format. I think that the paper mode could be added to djvu files as well. Also, I would like to have the dictionary in the toolbar also for epub files, not just for pdfs.

But as a whole, the firmware is a big step in the right direction.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:44 AM   #879
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
I like this option. Often, by mistake, I close de book, when I push 2 times the button exit per example.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #880
Gagarin Gambit
Gagarin Gambit began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx i62HD
The change log looks very promising, I'm looking forward for the i62HD version I should point out that I appreciate the effort you put into software development and how you listen to the user feedback.

BTW, I believe that a moderator should make this thread sticky.
Gagarin Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #881
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
I haven't tested thoroughly the firmware yet, but I consider myself in the group who find the new update to be successful overall. The pdf reader is significantly improved and probably offers the best reading experience for academic pdfs (which is the reason I bought M92 in the first place) of all readers on the market right now. The ability to customize the zoom level is very convinient. I also like the toolbar in the low right corner and the possibility to call the dictionary from there.

So I think that as far as features are concerned, the pdf reader is just right as it is. What I would like to see in further updates is to have some of the features in the pdf reader implemented for other formats, as well. For example, I have some two-column articles in the djvu format. I think that the paper mode could be added to djvu files as well. Also, I would like to have the dictionary in the toolbar also for epub files, not just for pdfs.

But as a whole, the firmware is a big step in the right direction.
Thanks for positive response

Quote:
Also, I would like to have the dictionary in the toolbar also for epub files, not just for pdfs.
-If you open EPUB with pdf Reader, you will see dictionary in toolbar too.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #882
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Thumbs up

So far i am positively surprised. I already had given up all hopes.
Some VERY nice ergonomic improvements. e.g. the dotted line. Who's idea was this? Simple but brilliant.
But haven't tested annotations and the academic reading stuff yet.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #883
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle, Boox M92
Hi, I actually had this question about the old pdf reader as well-- what exactly is the 'hand tool', and how/why do you use it?
naravive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #884
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naravive View Post
Hi, I actually had this question about the old pdf reader as well-- what exactly is the 'hand tool', and how/why do you use it?
It is quite simple. In annotation mode if you need panning with stylus (slightly move the viewport on the screen) you will need to click that hand tool first
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #885
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by naravive View Post
I do not know about the new one, but I expect it is the same as old one...

Hand tool makes it possible to move with page within the view port. Put another way. If you see only a part of the page, you may move the view-port (visible part of page) by Hand Tool.

If you see the whole page (or page without margins) the view-port is the same as page and thus Hand Tool has no use.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote