Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Free Kindle Owner's Lending Library for Amazon Prime Members

Here's a link that explains the new Kindle Owners' Lending Library for Amazon Prime members: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000739811.

Quote:
With Prime, Kindle owners can now choose from thousands of books to borrow for free including over 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers – as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates....Books can only be borrowed and read on Kindle devices (works with all Kindle generations)....Choose from over 5,000 titles, including more than 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers, to read on your Kindle.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Hmm that's 12 books a year. I can borrow 15 ebooks a week at my local library for free not that I'd read them all but the possibility is there but for those who use Prime it's a nice added additional benefit I guess.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Hmm that's 12 books a year. I can borrow 15 ebooks a week at my local library for free not that I'd read them all but the possibility is there but for those who use Prime it's a nice added additional benefit I guess.
That may be true but if your library is like mine there are due dates and a very limited selection of ebooks. It's not worth buying a prime membership for on it's own but if you would use the movies, the ebooks and other stuff that comes with it can be a very good deal.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
That may be true but if your library is like mine there are due dates and a very limited selection of ebooks. It's not worth buying a prime membership for on it's own but if you would use the movies, the ebooks and other stuff that comes with it can be a very good deal.
Agreed if you are already a Prime member.

You can get a Library card from Free Library of Philadelphia alot cheaper and they allow 10 titles checked out at a time. It's a really good deal. If you are a Vet or Active Duty it's free.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Hmm that's 12 books a year.
My thoughts too.

Oh well, it is free and it might provide a few books that aren't available at the library.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My thoughts too.

Oh well, it is free and it might provide a few books that aren't available at the library.
I agree. I wouldn't get prime just for it, but since I have prime anyway, it's a good perk for me.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I agree. I wouldn't get prime just for it, but since I have prime anyway, it's a good perk for me.
I'm stoked! I wish I could borrow one good ebook a month from my library on demand. There's always a waiting list with at least 3-5 people ahead of me.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I can see Amazon expanding Prime to include a larger selection of videos and ebooks, and then adding MP3s to the mix. They could rebrand it as Prime Entertainment and take on Netflix and Hulu Plus. Free shipping would no longer be the primary benefit, but would still be included.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I can see Amazon expanding Prime to include a larger selection of videos and ebooks, and then adding MP3s to the mix. They could rebrand it as Prime Entertainment and take on Netflix and Hulu Plus. Free shipping would no longer be the primary benefit, but would still be included.
Yeah, that seems to be the way they're going. Definitely on a well-defined mission.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that this is for U.S. Amazon Prime members who own Kindle devices—no apps. There's more information about borrowing and returning books from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library here.

And here's a link to Amazon's Press Release: "Introducing The Kindle Owners' Lending Library".

Last edited by DreamWriter; 11-03-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you perhaps mean "only Amazon Prime members in the USA"? I don't see this stated in the original post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Note that this is for U.S. Amazon Prime members who own Kindle devices—no apps. There's more information about borrowing and returning books from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library here.

And here's a link to Amazon's Press Release: "Introducing The Kindle Owners' Lending Library".
The redesign to the Kindle book buy page is horrible! It looks like they are really pushing this feature. All you see $0.00 stand out more then the real price. How many accidental purchases is this going to cause people.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you perhaps mean "only Amazon Prime members in the USA"? I don't see this stated in the original post.
From this link:

Quote:
The Kindle Owners' Lending Library allows eligible U. S. Amazon Prime members who own Kindle devices to choose from thousands of books to borrow for free -- including more than 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers -- as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates.

Eligible Prime members-- paid Amazon Prime, paid Amazon student, one-month free trial, and customers receiving a free month of Prime benefits with a Kindle Fire -- must own a Kindle device that is registered to the same Amazon.com account as the eligible Prime account in order to access this benefit.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #14
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
The redesign to the Kindle book buy page is horrible! It looks like they are really pushing this feature. All you see $0.00 stand out more then the real price. How many accidental purchases is this going to cause people.
I don't like the way they designed those product pages either, but at least it clearly shows the purchase price on the BUY button.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Here's an example of what I mean. I bought this book tonight. If I hadn't looked closely I would of thought it was really free.