Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
ids - Best practice

Hi all,

So a question on usage of id's

I have a lot of extra info I want to add (and make searchable) to my books.
This is info of a certain type having 1 or 2 values for a book (like ISBN (can also have 2 values 10 AND 13)).

So my question is (also consider coming versions of calibre that may introduce specific fields for this info), should I put info like this into id's, or is there a better way:

both isbn 10 AND 13
NUR (3 digit number representing a main genre group)
NUGI (obsolete 3 digit number, replaced by NUR no 1-1 mapping)
Original Title
Cover type (soft cover hard cover)
Image type (full color, BW, 4-color)
Quality (Photo, OCR, direct text)
Offline status (true / false - indicating having a paper copy)
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by drMerry View Post
Hi all,

So a question on usage of id's

I have a lot of extra info I want to add (and make searchable) to my books.
This is info of a certain type having 1 or 2 values for a book (like ISBN (can also have 2 values 10 AND 13)).

So my question is (also consider coming versions of calibre that may introduce specific fields for this info), should I put info like this into id's, or is there a better way:

both isbn 10 AND 13
NUR (3 digit number representing a main genre group)
NUGI (obsolete 3 digit number, replaced by NUR no 1-1 mapping)
Original Title
Cover type (soft cover hard cover)
Image type (full color, BW, 4-color)
Quality (Photo, OCR, direct text)
Offline status (true / false - indicating having a paper copy)

ISBN 10 and 13 are basically the Same number. 978ISBN-10(sans check digit)new check-digit)

Cover: there is Trade Paper and Mass Market for Soft,
Quality:Image, UC_OCR, A,B or C(grade)_OCR, Native (from Author source file)

Image type: Of the cover? Illustrations? (not even considering Manga )
I have been using a tag for 'offline status'
If Calibre introduces a new field that you have, you can use 'Search and Replace' to migrate your data

IMHO use Text with fixed set of values for Quality, Cover to control uniformity of entries.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Thank you.
I had the idea of using s/r when there where new fields indeed.
My reason for using ids is to have some less labels (Quality.Image, Quality.OCR are 2 labels against Quality with multiple values)
But also to have some quick options like ImageType:False and tags:comic to find comics not having set the type of used images.

What is your reason for using Text in stead of ids?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you.
I had the idea of using s/r when there where new fields indeed.
My reason for using ids is to have some less labels (Quality.Image, Quality.OCR are 2 labels against Quality with multiple values)
But also to have some quick options like ImageType:False and tags:comic to find comics not having set the type of used images.

What is your reason for using Text in stead of ids?
The type of text field I chose allow you to pre-define the values used (a menu). That is all the user can enter.
ID, I got lost. on this one
Old 05-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The type of text field I chose allow you to pre-define the values used (a menu). That is all the user can enter.
ID, I got lost. on this one
well, it is the ids best practice question.
So you use a textfield with some pre-defined text
I use e.g. coverQuality:BW-Photocopy
or NUR:331

Besides the predefined info what is the main-advantage of using your implementation over mine.

My main reason is that I now can click fast in the id's section to find books not having set the NUR-info
I have tons of labels (sorted with sub-labeling (.)) using this id-info is a faster way to work with it.
I'm thinking of types to add there. The NUR and NUGI (dutch library-sort-codes) are identifiers in a way that they are a representation of the used genre.

So main-question: Should I add this in IDs or in your explained text-fields and what are the (dis-)advantages of the purposed method.
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Putting that info in the ids field sounds very wrong to me. They are not an "identifier" which uniquely identifies a book, they are a code that defines some aspect of a book. And they are going to be a pain for you to maintain all squashed into that identifier textbox.

A custom column is the recommended approach. As for quick access, I assume you mean via the tag browser? You can have custom columns displayed in the tag browser too if you tick the "Show in tags browser" checkbox in the custom column edit dialog.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
well, it is the ids best practice question.
So you use a textfield with some pre-defined text
I use e.g. coverQuality:BW-Photocopy
or NUR:331

Besides the predefined info what is the main-advantage of using your implementation over mine.

My main reason is that I now can click fast in the id's section to find books not having set the NUR-info
I have tons of labels (sorted with sub-labeling (.)) using this id-info is a faster way to work with it.
I'm thinking of types to add there. The NUR and NUGI (dutch library-sort-codes) are identifiers in a way that they are a representation of the used genre.

So main-question: Should I add this in IDs or in your explained text-fields and what are the (dis-)advantages of the purposed method.
A predefined value text field is useful for a limited set.
I have one set for 'Master Format': Values : EPUB,PRC,LIT,PDF... (ordered by frequency of use)
Typing the first letter brings up the first one. P Pdf typing another P gets PRC

Only you can confirm field type usefulness
Old 05-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Putting that info in the ids field sounds very wrong to me. They are not an "identifier" which uniquely identifies a book, they are a code that defines some aspect of a book. And they are going to be a pain for you to maintain all squashed into that identifier textbox.

A custom column is the recommended approach. As for quick access, I assume you mean via the tag browser? You can have custom columns displayed in the tag browser too if you tick the "Show in tags browser" checkbox in the custom column edit dialog.
Thanks for your information. I think this is the way I will have to use it. Clear to me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks
A predefined value text field is useful for a limited set.
I have one set for 'Master Format': Values : EPUB,PRC,LIT,PDF... (ordered by frequency of use)
Typing the first letter brings up the first one. P Pdf typing another P gets PRC

Only you can confirm field type usefulness
Yup, and I think it is.
Thank you!

Tags
best practice, ids, metadata