Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-25-2016, 06:14 AM   #1
ReddFour
ReddFour began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Best Way To Convert MHT to EPub?

{deleted}

Last edited by ReddFour; 05-23-2020 at 05:39 AM.
ReddFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Word can open MHT files. Try opening the file in Word, and then re-saving in DOCX format. Calibre should then be able to open and convert the DOCX to ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You could also export directly to ePUB from Word with my add-in.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An even better solution!
Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
ReddFour

I tried opening in Word and then Calibre converting the docx but the result was not satisfactory. For now I have decided to use EPubPress directly from the Chrome browser which does a pretty decent job and is far more automated.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Why exactly must you use MHT?

Just save the web page itself, I think calibre will download the necessary remote resources when you import the HTML file.
If not, well, then you can do what you should have done in the first place. Even a lousy browser like Internet Explorer can still save as "Web Page, complete", which calibre can certainly handle fine and which you did not in fact do!
Instead you saved as a "Web Archive, Single File", which is a Microsoft-specific format and it is therefore completely unsurprising that calibre doesn't know how to handle it.

calibre can import HTML files, and will automatically collect referenced resources and pack it into an HTMLZ ebook. You can have calibre set to auto-convert added books to another format -- e.g. EPUB.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddFour View Post
I tried opening in Word and then Calibre converting the docx but the result was not satisfactory. For now I have decided to use EPubPress directly from the Chrome browser which does a pretty decent job and is far more automated.

Thanks for the help.
It's a lot easier to help if you ask the right question. It sounds as if the question that you really want answering is "How can I convert a web page to ePub?" rather than "How can I convert an MHT file to ePub?"
Old 05-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #8
ReddFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why exactly must you use MHT?

Just save the web page itself, I think calibre will download the necessary remote resources when you import the HTML file.
If not, well, then you can do what you should have done in the first place. Even a lousy browser like Internet Explorer can still save as "Web Page, complete", which calibre can certainly handle fine and which you did not in fact do!
Instead you saved as a "Web Archive, Single File", which is a Microsoft-specific format and it is therefore completely unsurprising that calibre doesn't know how to handle it.

calibre can import HTML files, and will automatically collect referenced resources and pack it into an HTMLZ ebook. You can have calibre set to auto-convert added books to another format -- e.g. EPUB.
Why? Because I have a lot of previous saved pages that were stored as mht for single file convenience that it would have been easier to convert rather that going through each one, and resaving as separate html and folder.

Also, on the tests I have done with just converting HTML, Calibre is completely messing it up. For example, during the conversion to HTML, the different background colours "leak" into areas they shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a lot easier to help if you ask the right question. It sounds as if the question that you really want answering is "How can I convert a web page to ePub?" rather than "How can I convert an MHT file to ePub?"
No, my original question was correct. See above. The ePubPress was just a test. I would rather not go through all my existing files re-doing them if I can.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Why? Because I have a lot of previous saved pages that were stored as mht for single file convenience that it would have been easier to convert rather that going through each one, and resaving as separate html and folder.
Maybe you could use a tool like "mht to htm" instead of one-by-one using IE:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mht2htm

Quote:
Also, on the tests I have done with just converting HTML, Calibre is completely messing it up. For example, during the conversion to HTML, the different background colours "leak" into areas they shouldn't.
Sounds like garbage in, garbage out. The websites themselves are probably coded like crap (or do a lot of web-/browser-specific tweaks that don't work in EPUB).

I suspect even with all the conversions you would probably still have to go in and tweak/fix the CSS.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As Tex2002ans said, calibre cannot automagically fix badly-coded HTML. In fact, by default it doesn't try to fix it at all, other than flattening CSS and e.g. normalizing font sizes and line spacing.
Colors are the fault of the input HTML, certainly.

As for MHT, it may have been convenient for you in the past, when you wanted to save webpages for later viewing in Internet Explorer, but now you are learning why it isn't convenient as a general principle.
MHT is Microsoft's custom internal solution. Fortunately, it appears someone else was equally bothered by that lack of foresight, and created the application Tex2002ans referenced above.

Of course, it still won't save you from badly-coded webpages. ePubPress likely has a lot of code on their server devoted to cleaning up common badly-formed HTML, much like Pocket, Readability, Instapaper, etc.
That is outside of calibre's intended functionality.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
MHT is Microsoft's custom internal solution. Fortunately, it appears someone else was equally bothered by that lack of foresight, and created the application Tex2002ans referenced above.
Microsoft devised it, but note that it is actually an open standard (RFC 2557) and many different browsers support it, either natively or through plugins.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:59 AM   #12
ReddFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Microsoft devised it, but note that it is actually an open standard (RFC 2557) and many different browsers support it, either natively or through plugins.
Yes I am using it in Chrome which natively supports it. You just need to go into the settings to enable it.

I think I have decided to forget about all my mht files and just start again from scratch. I'll try out various browser plugins like EPubPress and dotEpub and see which does the best job. I tried Grabmybooks in Firefox but that messes all the formatting up.

Are there any other recommended ones? I am particularly interested in one that does a good job with articles with code samples (mainly in C++ and C#). Most of the ones I've tried tend to mess up the formatting of code sample blocks. EPubPress is the best so far in this regard but not perfect.

Last edited by ReddFour; 05-27-2016 at 05:49 AM.