Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post

The T2 reader? If so, I am much more interested in one. I've been trying to find a good electronic note-taking scheme for ages.
I have the 650, a few generations older. I think the T2 has the same functionality, but no built-in stylus. I'm not certain, though.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Covered in another thread:
  • More file format support; specifically, doc/rtf/html: easily-editable formats. It's a nuisance to edit epubs.
  • Buttons, not touchscreens. Or in addition to touchscreens. I don't like having to smear the reading surface.
  • Multiple types of bookmarks, even if they're just checkmark/dot/star--the equivalent of color-coded post-it flags.
  • Better annotation/highlight support. Exportable as csv file.
  • Ability to flag 2 (or more) books as "open right now" to switch back and forth between them easily.
  • Side-by-side view of those two books, even if that means landscaped and only a few lines at a time.
  • Better image zoom, including auto-captioning with the image filename and dimensions. (so when you hit zoom, it'd add "map01.jpg, 450x235" underneath it. You'd know whether it was worth trying to zoom.)
  • Easy access to the book's metadata while reading it. (Quality of metadata depends on the publisher.)
  • User-Replaceable battery.
  • Solar charger.
  • Tags/groups/folders editable from within the device itself
  • Ability to see lists of both "all ebooks on this device," sorted various ways (title, author, date added, date last accessed, word count, filesize, possibly user-created rating), and subgroups--folders or tags.
I would add the #1 thing that is a must have: Removable media, preferably full size SDXC.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'd like a PRS-350/650 running PRS+ with the following improvements:
  • faster CPU (for quicker library management and searching)
  • front-light
  • 1024*768 resolution or higher
  • support for Wi-Fi and direct borrowing from public libraries
  • SD card slot for the PRS-350 (PRS-650 already has one)
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Why project it? I would like an implant that goes directly to my optic nerve.
I am wanting the same without the implant, and it should switch pages at exactly the right time and tell me to stop reading it if I find the book boring
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #20
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
What about an ereader like the pull out communicators from Earth Final conflict.
Yep, exactly what I would like, bonus if it can do phone calls as well!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #21
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
There are two different ereaders featured in the following anime series:

- Bubblegum Crisis 2040: It looked like an ordinary magazine, but when it's owner connected it into a kiosk it downloaded a new issue of the magazine into it. Each page appeared to be a color e-ink screen that is as thin and flexible as paper.

- Armitage III: It looks like just a handle, but it can generate a holographic screen where an ebook can be viewed (it has many other functions too).

Last edited by Solitaire1; 05-11-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #22
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I'd like an e-reader that will pay for my purchases, so that I don't have to.

You did say fantasy, right?
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
in a not too distant future will be living inside a virtual reality of sorts and being whatever we'd like most. like, some librarian on Alexandria. or Donald Duck

on the outset, we'd be just batteries powering up a funless world of machines taking care of our corporeal needs...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #24
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I dream of a reader that I can plug into my brain (like in The Matrix) and once inside I would be reading a fake real book that I would believe to me made of paper and I would hold it in my hands as I go on reading it.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
Hmm, I have just thought another one:

(Can be any type of screen) about 4~6 inches (pretty much a phone/phablet, maybe a dedicated ereader), extreem high resolution (that is a phone size screen has a resolution about currently 10 inch high res tablet), with a special accessory to wear on the eye: telescopic glasses.

Hopefully, this telescopic glasses can adjust focus (either manually or semi/fully automatically), so when the user holds the reader, he can use the glasses to bring the small screen to nearly full view in front of his eyes, and read it as if it was a tablet. So, if this is done properly, we can just carry a very portable small screen, while reading magzines, pdfs/comics/technical docs on it, for phones, we can also enjoy viewing great HD videos and complex structured web pages. So, in such way, we might achieve both great portability and readability.

ADDITIONAL NOTE:
It would be fun if this telescopic glasses can also be used as a 3D glasses, so ppl can enjoy HD 3D movies/games/etc right off his phone/phablets (given that the screen also has support in displaying 3D).

Last edited by ghero; 05-22-2013 at 09:11 PM.
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #26
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I would like an ereader that creates a zone of silence around the reader, or even better, that supresses all artificial sounds but allows natural sounds (wind, rain, surf, etc.) though.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #27
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I would like an ereader that creates a zone of silence around the reader, or even better, that supresses all artificial sounds but allows natural sounds (wind, rain, surf, etc.) though.
There's an available option right now: a set of noise-cancelling headphones, a compatible audio player, and a natural-sounds CD. While my audio player setup isn't noise cancelling, I often use my audio player while reading ebooks to mask out the sounds I don't want to hear like loud conversations at restaurants and nearby people having loud conversations on their cell phones.

In addition to the other comments about ebook formats, I'd like to see ereaders support a format that will allow users to easily generate their own ebooks. I think the already-mentioned RTF could fulfill this function if ebook readers featured RTF reader software that accurately renders the text.

I initially used RTF when making ebook for my Sony reader but I ran into the problem of the text not displaying as intended. I wasn't concerned with it displaying a specific typeface (such as Times New Roman) but that it would display a serif typeface in the ebook as a serif typeface on my ereader. I had the same issue with san serif and monospace typefaces.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #28
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
There's an available option right now: a set of noise-cancelling headphones, a compatible audio player, and a natural-sounds CD. While my audio player setup isn't noise cancelling, I often use my audio player while reading ebooks to mask out the sounds I don't want to hear like loud conversations at restaurants and nearby people having loud conversations on their cell phones.

In addition to the other comments about ebook formats, I'd like to see ereaders support a format that will allow users to easily generate their own ebooks. I think the already-mentioned RTF could fulfill this function if ebook readers featured RTF reader software that accurately renders the text.

I initially used RTF when making ebook for my Sony reader but I ran into the problem of the text not displaying as intended. I wasn't concerned with it displaying a specific typeface (such as Times New Roman) but that it would display a serif typeface in the ebook as a serif typeface on my ereader. I had the same issue with san serif and monospace typefaces.

Have you tried using calibre to convert your rtf into mobi or epub?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #29
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
But I will have to wear the headphone. Not as cool as silence zone created by the ereader
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Well, if this is truly a fantasy, I'd like an ereader that can magically make available any book I want as an ebook, even some of those obscure, out-of-print favorites that I'd be so happy to buy if they were just available.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote