Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Lynx-lynx

Yes I could switch over to Sony's software for all epubs.

However I don't like what I regard as arrogance on the part of Sony in forcing me to change to their software when I have installed on my PC, dare I say it, the established DRM software already !

What if other stores decided to go the same path as Sony ?

There are too many companies already trying to ring-fence their customers in, that's one reason why I didn't get a Kindle.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You used to need their software to buy any books. They changed that earlier this year and you can buy on the website and download with ADE if you want to instead. No Sony software required.
I see you are in the US.
I don't know about Sony US but I just tried Sony UK again and when you click on "Want this eBook?" you still get a message telling you you must use Reader Library Software.....

There the buying process seems to dead end and I can't see any other way of buying a book ?

I have noticed recently however, I used to get a windows message telling me the website wants me to download some software, but now I don't get that message ?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
I see you are in the US.
I don't know about Sony US but I just tried Sony UK again and when you click on "Want this eBook?" you still get a message telling you you must use Reader Library Software.....

There the buying process seems to dead end and I can't see any other way of buying a book ?

I have noticed recently however, I used to get a windows message telling me the website wants me to download some software, but now I don't get that message ?
My bad. I thought the UK store had been changed at the same time as the US store. I see it hasn't, sorry.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
mXb
Addict

No sweat AnemicOak, maybe they will shortly. when they do they might get my money !

Lastly, anyone know the length of idle time on this forum before you get logged out ?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
mXb
Addict

My post may give the impression I am knocking Sony as a company, I am not, they make great products.

I have one of their large screen TV's and a HiFi receiver, both of which were arguably the best at the time I bought them.

It's just the decision by someone in their company to sell ebooks in the way they have, that annoys me.

As Sony US has changed this system it would seem that customer complaints has forced them to do so ?

Customer power !!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Lynx-lynx

Yes I could switch over to Sony's software for all epubs.

However I don't like what I regard as arrogance on the part of Sony in forcing me to change to their software when I have installed on my PC, dare I say it, the established DRM software already !

What if other stores decided to go the same path as Sony ?

There are too many companies already trying to ring-fence their customers in, that's one reason why I didn't get a Kindle.
mXb you seem to be getting your knickers in a knot over this ....

I use the Sony Reader for PC as my Epub repository for all Epubs, as I've indicated. As soon as they download into that I then import the book into Calibre which is my library.

So - Reader for PC just acts as a holding place, with the advantage being that all the original copies are there and in one place.

The advantage is that I don't have to look in various programs to find ebooks that I've purchased from various providers.

Also, whilst I have Kobo desktop installed, I never use it. I only download Epubs from Kobo. All my Kobo Epubs I download into Sony Reader for PC, and then Calibre.

The reason I do that is because I don't use the Kepub version of Kobo ebooks - I only use the Calibre cleaned version. Again the reason is because of choice - I choose which of my 3 readers, Sony, Kobo or Playbook - I want to read that particular title on.

A problem with using the ADE desktop is that I've had problems with it recognising my authorisation on numerous occasions and have been blocked from access to my paid for ebooks until their end sorted it out. I don't know about you but I've had problems most times they upgrade their ADE desktop software.

So, I'm not interested in ADE.

Sony Reader for PC works for me. I don't buy Sony books as often as I buy Kobo or Books on Board - because they're the sellers with the excellent promo codes - but all their ebooks are in my Sony library and in Calibre (cleaned).

I also have Kindle for PC and as soon as an ebook has downloaded into that I again import into Calibre.

So, the 2 download and 'holding' repositories I use are Sony and Kindle - and Calibre is my library.

I think you need to rethink whether Sony is using me or I'm using Sony - because I see it as I'm using Sony's software to suit my purpose.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
mXb
Addict

Lynx-lynx.
Thanks for your complete explanation.

I don't think my knickers are in a twist. Maybe it's that I feel strongly about what I said ?

But I think I may have, inadvertently annoyed you in some way ?

If you are quite happy about what you use and what you don't use software-wise, good for you !

Personally I have been using ADE for just over a year with no problem. A couple of problems with the source of the ebooks, but not ADE.

Therefore as I already have a lot of books in ADE, I don't wish to mess around changing MY setup just because the new guy on the block, Sony, wants me to.

So there you are thats my rant with Sony store over.

ttfn.

Last edited by mXb; 01-08-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: correction "...knickers in a knot..." sorry about that
Old 01-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
SWALK ......
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #24
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony
Sony books work on Kobo

Quote:
Drat !

It's a shame Sony's website insist on their DRM software, as some of their books are interesting prices too.

Curse all these different flavours of DRM.
Just activate Your Kobo for Adobe Digital Editions using the same email used to purchase books from Sony. It works perfectly for me.
gianfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
No sweat AnemicOak, maybe they will shortly. when they do they might get my money !

Lastly, anyone know the length of idle time on this forum before you get logged out ?
I think you can check a little box when you log in to stay logged in
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
mXb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I think you can check a little box when you log in to stay logged in
Helen
Thanks Helen, I must have missed that.

...too distracted unknotting my knickers probably