Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
joeblough
joeblough began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Whispersync not working

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but I think this is where I need to be. I've been reading books on the Kindle, Kindle for Droid, and Kindle for PC for some time now, and using Calibre to convert to MOBI to allow for ASIN numbers which enable the Whispersync.

All has been working fine...but recently, I've noticed 2 things...My apps on PC and Droid updated: my kindle for PC app looks different (It's version 1.6.1 updated 7/31/2011) and my Kindle for Droid is Version 3.0.1.70).

Second, my whispersync is no longer working both ways.

If I set furthest page read from my kindle device itself (Kindle 3) then I can retrieve that location from PC and Droid...but if I set a new furthest location on PC Or Droid...it's like that update never makes it back to the Amazon server.

Is anybody else having this problem? Has amazon started looking for "valid" ASIN numbers rather than UUID's?

Any ideas?
joeblough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I had experienced this with the app on my Android phone, too. I have no idea just why it wont work the other way around.

It's a minor inconvenience since I will usually have two different books open on the different devices. The only reason I found it was happening was when I read something funny and wanted to show the missus on the Kindle...and I had to search for it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
joeblough

Did this just start happening recently? I think it might be something that was fixed in the Kindle for Droid and Kindle for PC apps...maybe they look for a valid ASIN number now...I think Calibre's UUID might not be working any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I had experienced this with the app on my Android phone, too. I have no idea just why it wont work the other way around.

It's a minor inconvenience since I will usually have two different books open on the different devices. The only reason I found it was happening was when I read something funny and wanted to show the missus on the Kindle...and I had to search for it.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
joeblough

Follow-up

As a follow-up, I've resolved the issue.

My go-to fix when I have a book that won't sync correctly is the following:

1: Grab the MOBI file from the Calibre Library, copy it to desktop
2: Remove the book from the Calibre collection (with Calibre)
3: Re-import the book into Calibre
4: Re-convert to MOBI (this gives the book a new UUID number and therefore a new ASIN number)
5: Take the new MOBI file, move it to assorted devices.
6: Confirm syncing.

This fixed my latest issue.

I'm not sure why some UUID ASIN's fail to sync and others work...but I can't argue with results.

I'd still like to be able to edit the ASIN directly from within Calibre...but that's another story.

Enjoy!

Tags
asin, whispersync