Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
katanel
katanel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20 edition 2
Sync issues between two Kindle devices/app

Hi guys,

I'm using my Kindle Oasis in parallel with my Samsung S10+ Android Kindle app to read the same book and the main issue here is that there are synchronization issues about the current location of the book:
- from Android app not updating last location while the Kindle is doing this OK - 90%
- the opposite (from Kindle to Anddroid app) like 10% of the time

There are some advice about making these syncs working better?

Just for reference I'm not sideloading the books, just sent them by email.

Thanks
katanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've found that syncing between my phone and my Paperwhite is reasonably reliable if I manually sync each device at the beginning and end of a reading session. Even then it fails now and then. For a while I gave up on whispersync and just synced manually by remembering a short 2 or 3 word phrase near the top of the page and using text search to locate that on the new device.

These days I read mostly on my phone. I have 2 phones, one for around the house to preserve the battery on my main phone and one I make calls on that I use when I'm away. The around the house one doesn't have service. It uses Wifi.

Anyway I still have to sync so I've been using Moon+ instead of the Kindle app. It syncs via Dropbox and it hardly ever fails. I read on both nearly every day, often switching more than once, and it's been a couple months since the last time syncing failed. It also syncs much faster than either the Kindle or the Kindle app.

By the way, when I was doing the manual sync with text search that was also a lot faster than whispersync although it was more effort.

I don't know if this is much help to you but if it is I'm glad.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I actually find KOReader's sync to be faster and more reliable than WhisperSync.

On iOS, I use Marvin 3 which uses iCloud. It's more or less ok. However, I find Marvin 2/Classic with sync via Dropbox actually worked better (at least before Dropbox support on Marvin 2 broke).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:04 AM   #4
katanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I've found that syncing between my phone and my Paperwhite is reasonably reliable if I manually sync each device at the beginning and end of a reading session. Even then it fails now and then. For a while I gave up on whispersync and just synced manually by remembering a short 2 or 3 word phrase near the top of the page and using text search to locate that on the new device.

Barry
Thanks, I will look into this manual sync before and after reading session.

I'm just wonder how often whispersync is doing the sync - at each page you turn, each minute, etc?
Old 01-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm just guessing but my guess is that it doesn't sync as you read but when you do a sync by tapping the sync button. Or maybe when you close the book. I've found sync to be very unreliable if I don't tap the sync button.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:25 AM   #6
katanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm just guessing but my guess is that it doesn't sync as you read but when you do a sync by tapping the sync button. Or maybe when you close the book. I've found sync to be very unreliable if I don't tap the sync button.

Barry
I discover as well the Sync Menu in the Kindle Android App...so let's see now...

Tags
sync kindle, whispersync