Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #31
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

I appreciate the efforts you went to to answer my question Henrycat.

I do know that some sites out there block programs like Webzip from harvesting the site to be saved. Usually subscription sites do this, but sometimes free ones do too. Perhaps Wired is such a site. I do know that CNN.com and Foxnews.com don't have this problem. After you answer everyone elses questions and if you have the time and desire, could you try one of those sites? Whatever you decide, excellent work on the answers you did provide.

Hopefully if Mobipocket works out a deal with Irex, this won't be an issue because I can then create a news page.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #32
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Thanks again for taking the time to answer all our questions, as TadW said, you rock! I'm buying it anyway, as long as it can read html nice and clear and the screen is the right size I'm happy really, lol, and the writing part is very interesting too, so here's one customer ready to promote development.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2006, 01:13 PM   #33
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hi Henrycat!

Thanks alot for your detailed answers. Now i am even more jealous. The device looks great, and it seems to have a lot of potential on the softwareside.

Good thing tha i am a very patient person (NOT!)

Have fun with your new toy.
Falk
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #34
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
One more thing:

I looked at all the photos, and on most of them I noticed, that the text wasn't really black! The device can display black quite well as far as i can tell from the comics, but the website looked very gray, especially in comparison to the LCD.

Oh and by the way...thanks for doing the comparison shots!
The vids of the Librié are pretty good as well...only the high-pitched noise was a bit disturbing...

Last edited by CommanderROR; 05-01-2006 at 01:34 PM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #35
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
First of all, thank you so much for answering all my questions! This is really a unique opportunity to find out what's going to be my next e-book reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
I asked about the development of programs. And it seems to be a delicate issue because of security.
You know what they say... there ain't no security through obscurity. By keeping the SDK away from the crowd, they won't make the system any more secure. On the contrary, if hackers find out that the SDK is being kept away due to security issues, it's just one more incentive for them to start attacking the iRex.

Quote:
It's very likely the chinese Iliad will sell first, because it has the SO and viewer (APABI) almost finished.
Hmm, I even considered getting a Chinese unit first, since it's probably going to sell for less than the "Dutch" version. The question is, of course, would I still be able to upgrade with an English firmware? I am afraid I already know the answer to that ;(
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #36
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
The website is a photo with flash, any p-paper would look greyed out in a close-up with flash.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #37
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
ok...that would be nice.

I'm not sure, but I think I'm seeing this in other photos as well...like the one with the fonts...but here only some fonts are gray so it's probybly to do with the font-rendering or something there...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #38
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
but here only some fonts are gray so it's probybly to do with the font-rendering or something there...
That might be the antialiasing there. The Courier seemst to have to thin lines, so they render grey.

Just a thought.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #39
bicradash
bicradash began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
Does anyone know any setting in webzip to do relative linking from the root were the site is saved? or other program that does it?
I've never used WebZip, but am using a program with a similar feature, wget. It downloads files from the website relatively and recursively (so must be careful not to overload the web server by requesting too much files).
For instance, you could retrieve the whole Wired Magazine Issue 14.05 by running:
Code:
wget -r -l 0 -np -k -E http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.05/
This downloads all the files under http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.05/, and converts it to relative links. Although this sample doesn't retrieve some thumbnail images, you could do so too. There are more informations and usages in the GNU Wget 1.10 Mannual.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by bicradash; 05-01-2006 at 02:10 PM.
bicradash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Looks like there is where I'd login if I actually owned the iRex:

https://myirex.irexnet.com/userlogin.php
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #41
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
One more thing:

I looked at all the photos, and on most of them I noticed, that the text wasn't really black! The device can display black quite well as far as i can tell from the comics, but the website looked very gray, especially in comparison to the LCD.

Oh and by the way...thanks for doing the comparison shots!
The vids of the Librié are pretty good as well...only the high-pitched noise was a bit disturbing...
Some of the text on the website weren't black, and if you have really thin text, it get's some "interference" from the white background. This also happens on my Librie and probably on every eink display.

You can see that happen in the "fonts" pic. All the text is Black, but the courier appears almost gray.
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #42
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Thanks

Thanks for the info Henrique! You have quite a cool toy (-:
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #43
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Finally finished the post/answer to bicradash. Just go back to page 2 of this thread
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #44
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Henrique!

I just read over your posts again (I thought I might have missed something).

Anyway, you never actually said if you think the iLiad is cool gizmo or not. Yes/No?!

That should be a good summary of the device (-:

Thanks for your time!
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #45
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I don't know if you have access to a Mac Henrique. If you do could you test whether a Safari webarchive is viewable. If you don't have a Mac I've uploaded a .webarchive file to HERE

I appreciate all the work you've put in on testing this device.

Thanks
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote