Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
Dictionary on scanned PDF?

Easy dictionary lookup has always been the main attraction of PRS-600 for me. However some of my ebooks were scanned from paper books and then OCR-ed by adobe acrobat. Can prs-600 do the click-and-lookup trick on them? Anyone in a similar situation?
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dictionary lookup works on a "text" PDF such as, for example, the PRS-600 manual. Obviously it won't work on PDFs that consist of a scanned image, because there are no "words" there to look up - it's just a picture.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Well, after I scan the pics I have the text recognized in an ocr software and these texts are copyable and searchable in ordinary computer pdf readers. I don't know how it works, but seems to me the ocr software has added a txt-layer on the original image. Just wondering if these layers are still retained in prs-600. I've attached a scanned and ocr-ed pdf. Can anyone try this out for me?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Image 0043.pdf (43.7 KB, 349 views)
Old 11-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
FRKikos
FRKikos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Talking It works !

Quote:
Originally Posted by antistar View Post
Can anyone try this out for me?
Hi !

Just done the test and I'm pleased to tell you it works.

Can you tell me what OCR are you using ? It's impressive.

The only issue is that the size of your scan (A4 ?) made the text a little too small. The zoom function is useless in a multipages document.

If you switch the reader in landscape it's ok.
FRKikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRKikos View Post

Can you tell me what OCR are you using ? It's impressive.
According to the document properties, it is "Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Paper Capture Plug-in."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Persio
Persio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Because of my work, I need to use a lot of image-like pdfs on my reader, so I OCR them just like you did. But, instead of Adobe, I use abbyy 9 or 10, and export them from the original image-pdf into html. I'd recommend you doing that: it would allow you to use the reader's dictionary just like you do with any other ebook.
Persio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persio View Post
Because of my work, I need to use a lot of image-like pdfs on my reader, so I OCR them just like you did. But, instead of Adobe, I use abbyy 9 or 10, and export them from the original image-pdf into html. I'd recommend you doing that: it would allow you to use the reader's dictionary just like you do with any other ebook.
Another vote for Abbyy Finereader. It's recognition capability is quite impressive. I've scanned in documents with lots of tables, numbers, headers, footers, bold and non-bold, just a huge mix, and it keeps just about everything straight.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
antistar
Connoisseur

Great News! Can't wait for the Daily Edition to come out now.

Yes FRKikos, the fonts are too small in portrait mode, so I usually cut off the margins before converting the pages, and read them in landscape mode. Texts thus processed are readable on my prs-500, but I always long for something like the look-up function on prs-600. And it won't hurt to have a 7-inch screen, either. Thanks for trying!

I do use acrobat 9.0 for converting and OCR-ing my scanned pics. Abbyy is great, too, but Acrobat is enough for my need so I never really try abbby. Both software correct pics when they are askew and does a wonderful OCR job.

Last edited by antistar; 11-29-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
FRKikos
FRKikos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Smile

OK thanks guys, I'll look at abbyy...

Lookup dictionnary really is a great feature ! It was my main motivation when I bough the PRS600.

When your english is not your native language, it's a killer application !
FRKikos is offline   Reply With Quote