Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Skype Conference? (just thinking out loud)

Okay, Sir Sir RSE had suggested (I think) something of an on-line meet-up. I assume he meant more than a chat room meeting. Perhaps he meant something with audio and video. So I was wondering - would a Skype (or other) conference be workable? Would it be of interest? Would it be fast enough? Would it not be too hectic? Would people feel comfortable and want to participate? I can't answer any of these questions. I'm just a dog and a technical dullard. But I have Skype and have used it (once). Is this worth talking about? Or should I go raid the refrigerator instead?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
What's Skype?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
What's Skype?

A free internet telephone connection. I don't know if it can do conference calls. I guess I'd better do some research...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It does 4 or 5 people in one conference.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A 25 slot conference call can be set up on SKYPE. See link - http://support.skype.com/en_US/faq/F...15FB386511F9CF

I guess I'll need to pursue it further. It make take me a day or two to get around to it. Once I set one up, I'll need guinie pigs for a pre conference test...
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There is also the possibility of using TeamSpeak.
It's more gaming-oriented but is able to hold lots of people in the same channel at once.
Of course, when the number of people gets hight, it starts being difficult to hold a conversation.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like it can be done, technically. However, the more people on the call, the less efective the call becomes. Unlike a physical meet-up, you can't easily break-up into subgroups. But I don't want people to feel left out, either. Opinions, please....
Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
A 25 slot conference call can be set up on SKYPE. See link - http://support.skype.com/en_US/faq/F...15FB386511F9CF

I guess I'll need to pursue it further. It make take me a day or two to get around to it. Once I set one up, I'll need guinie pigs for a pre conference test...
Looks like Skype changed things. That I didn't know. Thanks!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Ok. I've downloaded Skype. I'll need to set up my id, then I'll need several volunteers (heh, heh) to provide me with skype phone addresses so I can page them for a conference call. I'll also like to set a time for the test conference. All volunteers please provide a target time for availablity...

(I see possibities. Imagine me reading a Red story, with VR and all the people involved in the story doing their own voices...Or Harv and Vera....)
Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
NTL I'd prefer Teamspeak - as Gaurnim has stated, TS is written especially to host "conferences" ...
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
NTL I'd prefer Teamspeak - as Gaurnim has stated, TS is written especially to host "conferences" ...
Can you provide links and such for us non-gamers.....
Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Can you provide links and such for us non-gamers.....
Of course: http://www.teamspeak.com/
I'm not a gamer btw

Only problem with Teamspeak: You need a server. I am willing to provide one (at least for a start) - but I will not be able to start it today.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Ok. I've downloaded Skype. I'll need to set up my id, then I'll need several volunteers (heh, heh) to provide me with skype phone addresses so I can page them for a conference call. I'll also like to set a time for the test conference. All volunteers please provide a target time for availablity...

(I see possibities. Imagine me reading a Red story, with VR and all the people involved in the story doing their own voices...Or Harv and Vera....)
Wow, you're going to a lot of trouble. I hope you don't mind. I don't even know if people would be interested. But thanks anyway.

Oh, yes, I'd love to hear of thoughts about how this might go. And maybe a small test group would like to give it a go first.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Of course: http://www.teamspeak.com/
I'm not a gamer btw

Only problem with Teamspeak: You need a server. I am willing to provide one (at least for a start) - but I will not be able to start it today.

The one advantage of Skype is you don't need a server, Skype hadles the back-end...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Wow, you're going to a lot of trouble. I hope you don't mind. I don't even know if people would be interested. But thanks anyway.

Oh, yes, I'd love to hear of thoughts about how this might go. And maybe a small test group would like to give it a go first.

Let me slap up a call for volunteers thread...