Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Kobo Vox: is it the next level of E-Reader?
Absoulutely its the future. 13 22.41%
Not any where new enough to warrant its existance. 6 10.34%
Not going to go out and buy it anytime soon 30 51.72%
Why did Kobo go out and in less then a year offer us another reader? 5 8.62%
Still holding out for the Soft IceCream Feature! 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Kobo Vox

Now that the Vox has been out and about for a couple of weeks, I was wondering what the overal impression is vs the Touch. Just curious if people are happy with it or if its just another itteration of KOBOS evolution of the E-Reader...

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Shankill
Nameless Being

As I see it, it's a completely different device. It simply can't compete as a dedicated e-reader with the Touch or any other EPD e-reader. It doesn't have the battery life or the true readability in sunlight, and extended periods of reading tend to elicit eye strain in most people.

That said, the Touch can't compete with the consumption of non-book media. Graphic novels, children's books and cooking books almost always require colour. Browsing on an EPD display is okay, but it's nothing compared to doing it on an LCD screen with a significantly higher refresh rate. And you need that higher refresh rate to view videos.

Until Kobo implements colour EPD displays in their e-readers with much greater refresh rates than the Touch with its E-Ink Pearl screen can muster, the Vox isn't competing with the Touch.

I don't think it's really evolving their core e-reader product, either, with the exception of Pulse (which is being ported to the Touch anyway). It's a distinct product, more like a sister product of the Touch rather than the Touch's successor.

It's a little hard, though, to classify it as either 'an e-reader which is also a tablet' or 'a tablet with e-reading software'. The Fire, I feel, sits firmly in the latter category, the Nook Colour (unrooted/flashed) in the former. The Vox is a little harder to work out, though.

These all being my impressions from reviews, MR and product demos/advertisements. I'm happy with my Touch, and I'm holding out till the new ICS tablets hit the market early next year before buying a slate (primarily for graphic novels and casual gaming).
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
As cyvos said it isn't going to revolutionize the Ereading market (No more than the KF did). I'm not going to buy one because I already have a color device (smartphone) and I wouldn't use the KV much.

So all in all I like Eink for reading, and LCD/LED for browsing, video's and all that stuff. So IMO they are not really comparable, they are two different device's for (I think) two different groups of people.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Nope. Never going to buy it.

The reason isn't particular to the Vox. It could be drawn across the board and apply to any LCD "ereader." Fire, Color, etc.

I just don't see the point.

I have an ereader because I love the eink screen and how much kinder it is to my eyes. Also because the battery lasts me for weeks. It's extremely light and easy to hold one-handed.

Not a single one of those things can be said of any LCD ereader. I just don't understand the point.

If I wanted a tablet, I'd buy a full tablet. The Vox seems to be trying to offer more than the Fire or the Color, but still... a full tablet isn't much more expensive.

As it happens, I don't see the point of tablets either. So that's definitely out.

It's just really not for me. It doesn't do anything I want an ereader to do. People go on about how ereaders are "doomed" in a multi-functional world, but you know what? They're light enough that it's worth carrying another device with me for all the benefits they give me. And I don't mind that they're a one-trick pony.

I like my single-purpose, eink ereader. And I do sincerely hope Kobo keeps developing these.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
Shankill
Nameless Being

There are some devices which benefit from being multi-function, but I'm with SmokeAndMirrors on e-readers. E-readers really benefit from being single function devices, and they'll benefit even more when colour EPD screens become widespread. And when that happens, I'm pretty sure most LCD e-readers/e-reader tablets will lose their shine and appeal fairly quickly.

The Kindle Fire, for instance, probably won't, though, because it's cheap and quite well-powered for what is a multimedia consumption device with a comprehensive multimedia library and set of subscription services to back it up.

Stop me if I'm going off-topic. I could go on about this for hours.
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Not buying. Because I already have 7" Android tablet, and that is basically same as Vox.

Two things which are better read on tablet instead of e-ink device are comics and PDF books. All "normal" books I read using my e-reader.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I have had my Vox for a week now and am getting more comfortable with the OS. I have an original Kobo eReader so I must say that even though I agree with those who love to read from the eInk screen I am much, much happier with the speed of the Vox. It took my Kobo Orig. a painfully long time to start and load a book. Vox, not so much. Fast page turns and the really well thought out navigation features are a big bonus.

As for the rest, given that this is a very good ereader, having the ability to check my email from my POP accounts as well as IMAP while I am two floors away from my desktop is not something that I am going to turn my nose up at just so I can remain an "eBook purist". I am really quite surprised and pleased at just how versatile and useful the Tablet aspects of the Vox are.

Considering that it only cost $50 more than the KT I was going to buy anyway, this was an easy decision to make and I am happy with it. The only 'cons' I can think of at the moment are that I am missing that 'charge once a week or so' feature of my eInk device and there is a SW glitch currently which makes the 'sleep' feature unreliable. Other than that, this Vox is golden. It is NOT an iPad, but I can't afford $879 for an iPad anyway, so I am way ahead. IMHO

Thanks

4Foot
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Put an 8" screen on the Vox so things like CBRs become more readable and I'd consider it. Especially at the price point.
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Shankill
Nameless Being

I'm not sure that even 8" would be that great for full-page comics. Having a fiddle with a couple of different tablets has led me to the conclusion that 9.5/10" is basically where you need to be for full-page comics without zooming. ComiXology's guided view is pretty cool, but going panel-by-panel tends to result in pixelation/blurriness once you hit around a 4" screen.

@4Foot: Benefits like with e-mail are the same kind of benefits you get in having a smartphone. Tends to be that having both a smartphone and a tablet on oneself at the same time results in some redundancy, which is why a lot of people who already have smartphones don't see the point of tablets, because they're often just smartphones with a larger screen and no 3G/phone. Like the Vox - it's running Android 2.3, and so is my 3.8" phone, which essentially runs as a pocket computer (the phone itself being very much secondary).
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
What bugs me is the stupid reviewers who always say that this is such a HUGE improvement over the Eink models, and how much faster they are and display colors. Well duh they are different and can't even really be compared.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
What bugs me is the stupid reviewers who always say that this is such a HUGE improvement over the Eink models, and how much faster they are and display colors. Well duh they are different and can't even really be compared.
Thats a good point. But I bought my reader for reading. Colour would be nice but i dont think its a deal breaker for me. The only thing I would really like on the Touch or any other eink device would be a built in reading light.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I quite like my Vox. However, in general, I will only be reading on my Vox in situations such as hotel/motel rooms where there isn't good lighting next to the chair, couch, bed, whatever is comfortable. Otherwise I am doing most of my reading on my Kobo Touch.

I really do like the ability to easily surf the web while in my LazyBoy. I was hoping it would work well for that and it does. However I will not be posting long replies as I'm a touch typist. For that I'm back to my laptop and/or ergonomic keyboard.

So to me it's not the next level of eReader. It brings added functionality for me and is more of two companion devices.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #13
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Thats a good point. But I bought my reader for reading. Colour would be nice but i dont think its a deal breaker for me. The only thing I would really like on the Touch or any other eink device would be a built in reading light.
Personally I feel that would be a bad idea for 2 reasons.
1) It is yet another component that could fail
2) It would drain the battery quicker.

As long as the battery is non-user replaceable, anything that would increase wear and tear on the battery would shorten the useful life of the device.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyvros View Post
I'm not sure that even 8" would be that great for full-page comics. Having a fiddle with a couple of different tablets has led me to the conclusion that 9.5/10" is basically where you need to be for full-page comics without zooming. ComiXology's guided view is pretty cool, but going panel-by-panel tends to result in pixelation/blurriness once you hit around a 4" screen.

@4Foot: Benefits like with e-mail are the same kind of benefits you get in having a smartphone. Tends to be that having both a smartphone and a tablet on oneself at the same time results in some redundancy, which is why a lot of people who already have smartphones don't see the point of tablets, because they're often just smartphones with a larger screen and no 3G/phone. Like the Vox - it's running Android 2.3, and so is my 3.8" phone, which essentially runs as a pocket computer (the phone itself being very much secondary).
Cyvros:

Greetings to the FogSea!

I agree completely with your thoughts on having a tablet & a smartphone. Fortunately for me, I do not own a cell phone anymore so the Vox, "eReader with Benefits" is just about right.

I understand redundancy, I run a Mac desktop, a Linux desktop as well as a Win7 laptop and it can get a little bit dizzying trying to keep them all doing separate things while syncing those things that need to be kept in sync, like addies et al.

If I get too wound up keeping it all in perspective, my wife takes great delight in reminding me that I am the biggest redundant item in my HO.

I also agree with your thoughts on screen size, but would choose the Asus over the iPad on price alone.

Cheers

4Foot
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Foot View Post
I agree completely with your thoughts on having a tablet & a smartphone. Fortunately for me, I do not own a cell phone anymore so the Vox, "eReader with Benefits" is just about right.
This morning my husband was asking me if I was still happy I got my Vox (an early Christmas present for him) and what I liked best about it. (To create context, I will explain that a little while before getting the Vox, my netbook broke and we discontinued my cell phone, because I think it is crazy to spend so much on something so frivolous). In this conversation we came to the conclusion that the Vox really helps me not miss having a phone so much.

It isn't a great replacement for my netbook though. The Vox is a little quicker to start up than my netbook, but my netbook is much better for writing (I like to write and blog).

What I really needed was an "eReader with Benefits". I am passionate about reading, so my favourite thing about the Vox is the Kobo app itself, but the benefits was just what I needed in my life right now.

I love my Vox, but am still not prepared to suggest it to people as their only (and first) eReader. For someone, like me, looking for an eReader/Tablet (especially in Canada), it is a great option!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote