Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #2356
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I need my Star Trek book every month.
Now I understand why there are so many!

One of the goals on this list is to try to restrict your buying to series you are already reading or authors that you specifically enjoy. I learned about http://www.authoralerts.com
where you can input the author and be notified when something is coming out for that author. So, I put in Jim Butcher and not only does it tell me when the next Dresden Files is scheduled for release (both hardcover and Kindle, but not audio), it also tells me he's involved in another anthology and when that is expected to come out and what form. I also know, that at this time, that anthology is not going to be in ebook form, so I can move on from that (for now).

Now, I don't need lots of ebook clutter, so I'm not going to keep a listing of a bunch of popular authors (I'll know about them anyway), but a few authors I like are small potatoes, yet I want to know when they have a new book out. Some aren't very useful. For instance, the Terry Pratchett listing has 30 releases, lots of the older Diskworld being released yet again, in paperback. Useful if that is what you want, but we are an ereader group, so not so much.

NOTE: It seems that Author Alerts is based on Amazon US, so may not be as useful to those in other countries.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-27-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #2357
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Yes, I do really like them. I need my Star Trek book every month. I can't use the discount codes for it, but that's okay, I don't mind paying full price.
Every MONTH?!

Boy. And I thought the Forgotten Realms was a "write for bread" world. Star Trek seems to be even worse

I know all TV-shows forwards and backwards but I never read one of the novels... and I'm not going to start. I'm NOT going to take the chance that I like them and saddle myself with a gargantuan series besides the Forgotten Realms.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-27-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #2358
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Now I understand why there are so many!
They have been releasing Star Trek novels every month for decades now. It used to be 2 or 3 books per month but the last 5 years or so it's just one book a month, which is fine by me. Now I can actually keep up with them and read other books in between.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #2359
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Every MONTH?!

Boy. And I thought the Forgotten Realms was a "write for bread" world. Star Trek seems to be even worse :P

I know all TV-shows forwards and backwards but I never read one of the novels... and I'm not going to start. I'm NOT going to take the chance that I like them and saddle myself with a gargantuan series besides the Forgotten Realms.
You are better off that way. Admittedly, I am hooked.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #2360
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
You are better off that way. Admittedly, I am hooked.
I have a bunch of them thought admittedly I never read them. I think I started collecting them for my brother. However, now with Calibre I want the filed just so and am having bear of a time trying to get the series information correct. If you have them all organized or a list of how they should 'really' be, I would love to see it.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #2361
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I have a bunch of them thought admittedly I never read them. I think I started collecting them for my brother. However, now with Calibre I want the filed just so and am having bear of a time trying to get the series information correct. If you have them all organized or a list of how they should 'really' be, I would love to see it.
I believe this chart has the information you need.

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/p/t...ing-order.html
Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #2362
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
I believe this chart has the information you need.

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/p/t...ing-order.html
I'll take a look at that

thanks
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #2363
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
They have been releasing Star Trek novels every month for decades now.
My sister had almost 200 of them. I see by another listing that there are over 600, but most of the old stuff can only be had as OCRs done by fans.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #2364
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have most of the "old stuff" on paper.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #2365
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
They have been releasing Star Trek novels every month for decades now. It used to be 2 or 3 books per month but the last 5 years or so it's just one book a month, which is fine by me. Now I can actually keep up with them and read other books in between.
I'm a bit behind, and I know that they've transitioned the TNG-era content from independent books over to a more coherent, linear setup post-Nemesis. Do you happen to know a good reading-order link?

At least the Star Wars books have a complete chronology printed right in the beginning of every book, so their similar transition was a bit easier to manage...

ETA: I should've kept reading before I asked!

This link seems to be just what I was after. I found it from your link, but it looks a lot easier to follow than the big chart.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 01-27-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #2366
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If Picard is STILL not admiral at... what... age 74+, after being (acting) Captain since he was 28, after saving the Federation 231 times, it's all not worth it. Ditch the books

If that bitch Nacheyev (Picard's direct superior) can be a three star admiral, Picard should have at least 6 stars. Maybe 7. Hell, he should have a belt full of stars.

(Yes, if there's one character I actually dislike a lot, then it's Nacheyev. I hated Q in the beginning, but for some reason, he just grew on me and he's now one of my favorites.)

And no, I'm still not going to read those books. I don't have the money to buy into a 600 book series at this time

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-27-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #2367
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If Picard is STILL not admiral at... what... age 74+, after being (acting) Captain since he was 28, after saving the Federation 231 times, it's all not worth it. Ditch the books

If that bitch Nacheyev (Picard's direct superior) can be a three star admiral, Picard should have at least 6 stars. Maybe 7. Hell, he should have a belt full of stars.

(Yes, if there's one character I actually dislike a lot, then it's Nacheyev. I hated Q in the beginning, but for some reason, he just grew on me and he's now one of my favorites.)

And no, I'm still not going to read those books. I don't have the money to buy into a 600 book series at this time
Picard doesn't want to be an Admiral. He would retire from Starfleet before becoming an Admiral, I'm sure. Oh, I don't like Nacheyev either. Q is a favorite too, though not featured in the books a lot.

It would definitely be a big commitment and a large amount of money to start up on the Trek books now, that's for sure. I've been reading them every month for years and years, so I can keep up.

I'm thinking of just waiting for the library to get a copy of the new book in (paper book ) it's only a Voyager book this month (not a priority for me really). I have a ton of other books to read too and the last series which was a 5 book series, might have burned me out on Trek a bit.

edit: Or maybe just skip it for now. I've been wanting to read other books besides Star Trek, which is basically just fan fiction anyways. I might switch over to Baen for awhile, since I have a lot of their books already. In fact, I'm reading Mars Inc at the moment, and liking it quite a lot.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 01-27-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #2368
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Today, I purchased two ebooks ($1.92 and $1.85). One was to reactivate an old credit card. The other title was by an auto read author.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #2369
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Today, I purchased two ebooks ($1.92 and $1.85). One was to reactivate an old credit card. The other title was by an auto read author.
Umm... couldn't the second have also been the first?

Good news, everyone! I haven't bought an ebook for a whole week!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #2370
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
i've slowed down buying lately. Amazon's deals of the day haven't offered much in terms of quality for a while.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote