Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Red face FaceTime on iPhone 4

Ok, how about FaceTime on the new iPhone 4? Has anybody tried it? This article says that once you are connected, and the second party has accepted the call into FaceTime (rather than refusing and merely getting a voice call) that you don't use up any minutes on your Cellular data plan.

If that's so, I need an iPhone 4 buddy to practice with. I haven't got anybody to call ... who also has an iPhone 4 and can practice FaceTime.

Gulp. I can't believe I'm volunteering for this.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I don't have one, and therefore can't practice with you..... but, as I understand it the video actually happens over WIFI, and you have to be on WIFI for facetime to work.... makes since really, I was wondering how on earth it would ever work over a 3G data network.....

Anyway, hope you get a partner soon!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Did you know you can call Apple? They have people on staff, JUST to try FaceTime!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gad...-facetime/3490

Still waiting for the white iPhones to start being sold..grrr.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can see Facetime supporting a whole new area of the, er, "adult", industry...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i've tried facetime, it is neat. i don't see myself using it often as we don't have two i4's in the family, but if you do it's great to call home with. it does not use up cellular time as it only works on wifi connections. you can pause the audio or video or both. in theory you could call someone. pause video, and still have a voice chat without using up cellular time. bet at&t isn't too happy about that.

i think it will be a long while before we see facetime on at&t's cellular network seeing how much trouble they have with plain voice calls now.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
in theory you could call someone. pause video, and still have a voice chat without using up cellular time. bet at&t isn't too happy about that.
Couldn't you do the same thing using Skype, though? That's really all Facetime is, after all - a voice (and video) over IP app.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

yep. you could. but skype is a 3rd party option. this one is provided by apple.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Personally I wont use face time. Its like carrying around a webcam or something. Don't really need to see people in order to talk to them. Isn't that the whole purpose of cell phones?
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

it's certainly useful to talk to family members. people you want to see. i have no desire to see the pizza guy when i call in an order.

also very useful, the ability to use the rear-facing camera and show people what you are looking at. i gave a friend a tour of my gardens for fun. it was quiet interesting, and lead to a lot of discussions on gardening.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if anybody will rig up a way to connect an iPhone 4's facetime with somebody else's Skype. By family already uses Skype (or something like it) to connect the baby kids (err, toddlers now) with the grandparents. Now that I have an iPhone 4, I wanna join the chat too!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

apple says they are publishing the protocol for anyone to use. skype has already said they are interested in working with it. i'd expect the capability within a few months to go iphone4-to-skype
Old 06-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Did you know you can call Apple? They have people on staff, JUST to try FaceTime!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gad...-facetime/3490
I had just read about that. If nobody volunteers here in a few days, I guess I'll have to try that!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio6414 View Post
Personally I wont use face time. Its like carrying around a webcam or something. Don't really need to see people in order to talk to them. Isn't that the whole purpose of cell phones?
Isn't that a little bit like claiming that there's no benefit in TV compared to radio? . Seeing someone gives a whole added dimension to communications; you get a lot of subliminal information from facial expressions.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

And heck, ten years ago I couldn't see any reason why I would ever carry a cell phone around. Nobody needed me that badly! Now I don't even *have* a landline.

(But yeah, I get your point. Unless family gets one, or Skype is accessible, I won't use it much either. It just sounds cool!)
Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
You can call me, Deb - I'll PM you my phone number.

They were talking about the new iPhone on CNBC the other morning, mentioning the 1.7 million iPhones sold. They pointed out that those sales meant that there were now 850,000 FaceTime chats going on saying "this is so cool - I can't believe we can do this!!"

Tracey
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone 4, iphone 4g