Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Target to sell Amazon Kindle

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...gift-card.html
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I thought this was old news?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I think it was just rumors at the time.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Target's been selling Kindles at a few select locations for about a month. The news is that now they'll be carrying them at all locations nationwide.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
That's good news, assuming they don't bolt it to the display like they have the Sony readers. I'd like to get a feel for the Kindle 2 ergonomics.

I really wish retailers would work on liberating their handheld electronic displays! For all its detractors, Apple has an excellent handle on this.

B&N is kind enough to have Nook tagged with a security sensor wire, so I could actually hold it. Unfortunately, button placement wasn't going to work for me.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
The kindle display is going to be on a security tether so that you can hold it and a get a feel for it. From what I have read at work, it is going to have a looped demo running on it rather than allowing you to play around with the OS.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I've just read that the nationwide roll-out is set for next week.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep the set date is officially Sunday, but they could be set anytime next week.

My store's display arrived in store on Wednesday, I just wonder how many people are going to try and steal it.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Great news.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Today Target had a Kindle on display here in Kansas. As Ajax above said, it was tethered and had a looped demo running on it. You couldn't work with the OS.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I was just at Target - the display was up and running but they aren't allowed to sell any Kindles until tomorrow. They really had a few people disgruntled over that. They had 3 or 4 covers that you could buy on the shelves.

I did get a couple of minute or two of playing on the demo and I personally would prefer that they just load some books up and let people play. It was a series of screens that explained "and this looks like a real page" etc.

There were people waiting to see it though and I already own a Kindle so I didn't want to keep them from looking - I only spent about 20 seconds with it. Maybe once you get through the sales pitch it lets you see a book?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
Today Target had a Kindle on display here in Kansas. As Ajax above said, it was tethered and had a looped demo running on it. You couldn't work with the OS.
This is one thing Kobo in Canada did really well. Larger Indigo stores had up to eight units tethered and turned on. There was a very straight-forward "try me" poster with step-by-step instructions for opening a book, turning pages, changing font sizes, selecting another book, etc. Plus, when I was there, an Indigo salesperson -- not a techy geek or smarmy marketing type from head office -- to ask questions of. My rep was a kindly late 50s-ish grandma able to explain the basics.

One the best selling lines was: "last week we ran out of paper copies of XXX best-seller, but you could still instantly order the Kobo version". This coming from a bricks-and-mortar sales-person was impressive. I mean, if I buy this does it mean you lose your job 'cause I never need to shop in person again? Not to mention revealing you can use the Kobo to check out free library books ....

The other thing that struck me -- this was the first or second day the product was on sale -- three of us, around 11 am on Saturday, were in line at the cash, after having heard the spiel and played with the working units. And the average age wasn't 20-something ... I'd guess the collective age of the three of us close to 185! So, for those of us who "knew where we were when John Kennedy was shot", the affordable Kobo has strong appeal.

Kindle ought to take advantage of this kind of full-featured access instead of a canned demo. But perhaps Target (which doesn't operate in Canada so I don't have direct experience with them) isn't set up to answer questions like Indigo can with the Kobo.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
Ajax
Addict

Target team members get almost no training at all when it comes to electronics. If they don't own one of their own or have a fully working demo to play with it's very hard to give people the information they want.

I've owned a K2 since it was released so I told the electronics people to give me a call if anyone had questions on it.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I hope they have a little demo area up to fiddle with it.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I have to wonder if simply putting it out there is enough to make a difference. Obviously, Amazon wants more sales. But with no one to demonstrate the device and to give the sales spiel, will it really help?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote