Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #16
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Paul Kearney's Macht series is very good.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
The Steel Remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about Richard K Morgan, starting with The Steel Remains? Anyone read this? I have it on my TBR pile.
I had read The Steel Remains years ago but cannnot really remember. I think it was okayish, but did not fullfill my Takeshi-Kovacs-powered expectations. There is little that could have fullfilled these expectatios, though. ;-) I will try a re-read at some point.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Chalk up another vote for Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. And another opinion that they should be read in order.

I've read all Abercrombie's books and enjoyed them all, but the only ones I've gone back to read a second time were the first three.

If you are looking for dark and don't mind straying into Sci-fi you might try the "kop " trilogy by warren hammond.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Another C.J. Cherryh --- The Dreamstone and The Tree of Swords and Jewels --- so depressing the author apparently re-wrote the ending when it was reprinted
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #20
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Abercrombie books. Read them in order, otherwise you will miss a lot.
Try American Gods by Gaiman as well. Its a standalone.

I hear Acacia by David Anthony Durham is also good, and people compare it to ASOIAF. Haven't read it though, so take this with a grain of salt.

For sci-fi, I am Legend by Richard Matheson is pretty short, and pretty dark. Damn fine book too
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #21
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Geralt beat me, another vote for American Gods.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
- Hyperion and the Fall of Hyperion (Dan Simmons)
The second sequel, Endymion, is also amazing, although not as epic as the Hyperion books. I just got Rise of Endymion for christmas, and I am sooo looking forward to reading it!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Geralt beat me, another vote for American Gods.
And another (and Gaiman in general)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #24
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Try this series. The Dante Valentine series starting with Working For The Devil. Very Dark and Gritty.http://http://www.amazon.com/Dante-V...8409770&sr=1-2
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:45 AM   #25
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Abercrombie books. Read them in order, otherwise you will miss a lot.
Try American Gods by Gaiman as well. Its a standalone.

I hear Acacia by David Anthony Durham is also good, and people compare it to ASOIAF. Haven't read it though, so take this with a grain of salt.

For sci-fi, I am Legend by Richard Matheson is pretty short, and pretty dark. Damn fine book too
Neil Gaiman is possibly my favourite author! I've read almost everything he's written. I've read I am Legend by Matheson too. Classics.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #26
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
The second sequel, Endymion, is also amazing, although not as epic as the Hyperion books. I just got Rise of Endymion for christmas, and I am sooo looking forward to reading it!
I started reading Endymion a few times, only to put it down. I guess I need to give it some time and have another go :P
Old 12-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #27
Pistolero
Gunslinger
Pistolero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Another dark fantasy with steampunk and sci-fi influences would be the Bas Lag trilogy by China Mieville, set in a gritty and gloomy world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas-Lag

The novels are:
-Perdido Street Station
- The Scar
- Iron Council

But be prepared for some old, archaic English.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #28
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
Another dark fantasy with steampunk and sci-fi influences would be the Bas Lag trilogy by China Mieville, set in a gritty and gloomy world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas-Lag

The novels are:
-Perdido Street Station
- The Scar
- Iron Council

But be prepared for some old, archaic English.
+1 for China Miéville
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd recommend Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy. Very dark in places, and a superb fantasy series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #30
adityadubey
Addict

Hey guys, I've complied the suggestions on this thread into a Goodreads shelf. Should be accessible here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/lis...ecommendations

I am amazed by the number of books on there (35!!)

Tags
dark fantasy, fantasy, science ficition