Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
Kindle-usage without WiFi

Hello.

I'm currently gathering information about the Kindle to make a purchasing-decision.

One item of interest for me is WiFi.
I don't have WiFi at home, I stick to wired networks. Now, is it possible to purchase content from amazon for the Kindle, download it to "Kindle for PC" or one of the other computer applications and then transfer it via USB-cable to the Kindle? Or is there some sort of limitation or exception to this?

Thanks in advance!
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
whitedirewolf
E-ink Lover
whitedirewolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi!

Yes, this is no problem. Just copy the books you want from the "My Kindle Content" folder on your PC, to the "documents" folder on your Kindle. However, since most of the books are DRM protected, you must first register your Kindle to the same Amazon account you registred your Kindle for PC to - and this step requires of course connection, either 3G or WiFi.

Hope everything works out for you
whitedirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Even though I am a Kindler myself I would like to remark that there are a lot of readers that don't make sue of wi-fi. The Aluratek Libra Pro, I had one, does not have any wifi technology in any way. If you desire to buy from Amazon and read on your Libra you could do that, would need to translate the books to a format that the Libra could read though.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedirewolf View Post
Hi!

Yes, this is no problem. Just copy the books you want from the "My Kindle Content" folder on your PC, to the "documents" folder on your Kindle. However, since most of the books are DRM protected, you must first register your Kindle to the same Amazon account you registred your Kindle for PC to - and this step requires of course connection, either 3G or WiFi.

Hope everything works out for you
No, that's absolutely NOT the case. Kindle books are encrypted for a specific device - you can't download a book to Kindle for PC and then copy it to a Kindle reader, even if both devices are registered to the same Amazon account (unless you remove the DRM, which we won't go into here).

What you have to do, if you want to load the book via USB, is select the "Transfer via PC" option on the Kindle web site. It will then ask you which registered device the book is intended for, and download the file to your PC. You then copy it to the Kindle via USB.

Again, you CANNOT download a book to "Kindle for PC" and then just copy it to a Kindle reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that's absolutely NOT the case. Kindle books are encrypted for a specific device - you can't download a book to Kindle for PC and then copy it to a Kindle reader, even if both devices are registered to the same Amazon account (unless you remove the DRM, which we won't go into here).

What you have to do, if you want to load the book via USB, is select the "Transfer via PC" option on the Kindle web site. It will then ask you which registered device the book is intended for, and download the file to your PC. You then copy it to the Kindle via USB.

Again, you CANNOT download a book to "Kindle for PC" and then just copy it to a Kindle reader.

Good Info, This is what makes me want
to buy Non-DRM books in the first place.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
Good Info, This is what makes me want
to buy Non-DRM books in the first place.
Given the extreme ease of removing DRM, it's really rather a non-issue.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Ah, OK. So I purchase the book, select something on the site and then transfer. No need for "Kindle for PC" at all. OK, thank you.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torwan View Post
Ah, OK. So I purchase the book, select something on the site and then transfer. No need for "Kindle for PC" at all. OK, thank you.
Absolutely right. The sole use of "Kindle for PC" is reading books on your PC. It has nothing whatsoever to do with transferring books to a Kindle.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Torwan
Zealot

I see.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
If you can spend the few extra dollars for the 3g version it makes things so much more simple.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #11
Torwan
Zealot

I am considering that, although I kind of like the idea that the Kindle doesn't have a connection to the outside world unless I specifically want it to. That way I can control what data it receives.

Also, I can imagine extending my wired network with a WiFi-access point at some point in the future and then 3G wouldn't be required.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I am considering that, although I kind of like the idea that the Kindle doesn't have a connection to the outside world unless I specifically want it to. That way I can control what data it receives.
That's still the case with the 3G Kindle. You can turn the 3G off unless you want to use it. Doing so drastically extends the battery life.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
Torwan
Zealot

Thanks for the information, Harry.
Then I have something else to think about now.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I leave the networking off on my 3G almost all the time. Books are all "sideloaded" via USB. I _could_ do this directly, using the steps Harry has correctly detailed, but I actually use Calibre to handle the transfer. This allows me to manage all my books in Calibre, while also removing all that DRM nonsense at same time I import them. (Requires a separate plugin to Calibre, not available on this forum.)

Actually, the number one use I have for the 3g networking is to check email when I'm in the US, since I don't have a data plan on my iPhone.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

Also, I can imagine extending my wired network with a WiFi-access point at some point in the future and then 3G wouldn't be required.
Some modems come with the ability to use Wi-Fi now days too. My own modem allows me to have access to the net via wired connection (to my desktop) and has an antenna built in that allows me to access the net via either my Netbook or the Kindle 3. I don't know if all modems have it built in now or just some, but it is handy to have it built into the unit. Of course if a person does a lot of traveling they say that the 3G model is better for access too. We don't have 3G coverage where I live and I don't do much traveling so I chose Wi-Fi which I knew would work with my present modem.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote