Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
matthewmcg
matthewmcg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Highlights and Notes from Personal Documents --> PDF (Mac Only)

The Kindle stores its annotations in a Mobipocket (".mobi") file for each document and in one long text file named "My Clippings.txt." In this post I describe a system that synchronizes these annotations with PDF versions of the corresponding documents on a computer.

Overview

This system is embodied in an Applescript that parses the My Clippings file and controls the Skim PDF reader. The script first parses the clippings file. It then searches through the clippings and isolates any that come from documents on the kindle matching the filename of the currently open PDF file (the "pertinent clippings"). The script then iterates through each of the pertinent clippings, locating the matching text or location in the PDF document and applying highlights or adding notes where appropriate. The end result is an annotated, printable PDF document that matches the document on the kindle.

You can download the script here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2541109/KindleClippings.scpt. Before running the script, be sure to change the value of MyEmail to match your sending address and to verify that the Kindle mount point defined in MyClippingsFile is correct. You'll also need the free Skim PDF Reader.

To use it, send or copy a document file to your kindle. Remember, the kindle supports RTF, DOC, TXT and other common text formats and it will convert them into MobiPocket files internally for easier reading. Make some notes. Then take the same document that you just sent to the kindle and convert it to a PDF, e.g. by using the print to PDF feature in Mac OS X. Be sure to keep the filename the same. Open that same PDF in Skim and run the script. The highlights and notes should appear in the PDF.

If you're interested in how this works, read more on my blog here: http://everythingnotforbiddeniscompu...-notes-in.html
matthewmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Rob Crawford
Rob Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Script no longer works -- but there is another solution:

Digging around online I've found how to export personal documents, with notes included, to Kindle for Mac. Download DesktopUtility, select "Show Invisible Files".

Then copy the .doc file and the .mbp file from your Kindle, using the USB cable, to your hidden Kindle file on your drive, which is Library/Application Files/Kindle/My Kindle Content.

Open Kindle for Mac -- voila!
Rob Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
The idea itself was great! Yet, I am a bit confused about this.

But first: the script is no longer available to downlad. So, I could not try it.
Second: Why does the script no longer work?
Third: does/did this work with pdf documents?

Rob Crawford: I tried your way with a pdf document I highlighted in Kindle, but it did not work.

And lastly: The Klippings application seems to be well made. It imports Myclippings file and exporting as html or csv is possible. (The clippings are ordered in rows and columns; so they look like a skim file as well.) What I wonder is whether there is a way (if the above two do not work, I mean) to use the export from Klippings to do/ make possible again what matthewmcg did with the script described above: i.e. automating highlights in the pdf file itself --a question very much related to the fact that I don't know anyhting about programming
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, notes