Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We Want The Power To

I saw a the new sony touchscreen pocket edition for £129 at waterstones.

I played with it as it was embedded in a customer product test/display and imagine to my surprise that you could increase/decrease set the contrast on Normal Books.

On the kindle you can't do this except for pdf and you have do it everytime you change the pdf file!.

We Want The Power To set the contrast too and we want it yesterday.

The sony pocket was smaller with a smaller bezel but more book like and the display whiter then the kindle.

We Want The Power To Control The Kindle More.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Who exactly is that "we"?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I want the power to read a book on my Kindle! And I won't stop shouting until I........ wait a minute...... Uh..... I'm good. Never mind.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Apparently the same guy who wants a jetpack attached to his K3 so he can fly around while reading.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Kindle Bretheren .....Kindle brothers and Kindle sisters.

Since the kindle back ground is not pure white we should at least be able to make the black darker so we can read easier.

This is why we want a contrast setting control.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 10-10-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Edited by MR moderation team.
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

Since the kindle back ground is not pure white we should at least be able to make the black darker so we can read easier.

This is why I want a contrast setting control.
"I", not "we"...

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 10-10-2010 at 07:03 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
That sounds like something one would have heard in an old time tent revival meeting.

Quote:
Hopefully unintentional, but this comes very close to having racist undertones.

Quote:
This is why we want a contrast setting control.
Unless you have a mouse in your pocket, "I" is more appropriate than "we."

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 10-10-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
varmemester
Connoisseur
varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & Sony PRS-950
I hear you man! Good call!
varmemester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Isn't contrast pretty much limited by the pearl screen? Somehow, I doubt if amazon is holding back the contrast on purpose. Like hey it goes to 11, but 10 will be good enough for our lusers.

Otoh, there are times when the book specifies grey text, in which cases it is useful to have a feature to force black text. I'm not aware of ebooks doing this, but PDFs definitely do.

I'm curious to see how the new Sony and kindle look side by side. Amazon has thus far avoided touch screen, but if Sony has managed to maintain the display quality with the new touch reader, then expect amazon to follow suit. I'm pretty sure the same folks who pooh pooh touchscreen Ui now will shiver to think how we put up with the DOS 3 interface all this time.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Hopefully unintentional, but this comes very close to having racist undertones.
if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... or should i say troll
somehow the use of aryan for simple, plain "white" is a quack giveaway

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 10-10-2010 at 03:23 PM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I for one have no reason to need to adjust the contrast. I love my screen the way it is do not touch it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Isn't contrast pretty much limited by the pearl screen? Somehow, I doubt if amazon is holding back the contrast on purpose. Like hey it goes to 11, but 10 will be good enough for our lusers.

Otoh, there are times when the book specifies grey text, in which cases it is useful to have a feature to force black text. I'm not aware of ebooks doing this, but PDFs definitely do.

I'm curious to see how the new Sony and kindle look side by side. Amazon has thus far avoided touch screen, but if Sony has managed to maintain the display quality with the new touch reader, then expect amazon to follow suit. I'm pretty sure the same folks who pooh pooh touchscreen Ui now will shiver to think how we put up with the DOS 3 interface all this time.
just go into waterstones bookshops and take your kindle with you and compare sony/kindle.

well if you load a pdf then you can adjust the contrast from middle value to really intense black.

this is blacker then in non pdf books.

i urge you to dive into your kindle and try it right now.

you will see i am right again.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
you will see i am right again.
Again? When was the other time?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Again? When was the other time?

None that I can remember!
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
just go into waterstones bookshops and take your kindle with you and compare sony/kindle.

I don't know if I'm that brave. Afterall, that 3G connection logs my latitude and longitude into the Amazon servers. I don't want Bezos knowing I was anywhere near a Sony. God Awful retribution might rain down on my head if he were to find that out.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angst, contrast, despair, dictator, more cupholders now!, power