Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
norrisg
norrisg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Initial impressions of Nook

There's probably no perfect eReader for my needs - the Kindle 3 is probably physically closest but has no ePub support - so I ended up choosing a Nook 3g.

I'm quite pleased with it, but with these reservations:
1. Contrast could be a bit better. The glossy white surround doesn't help (I have a darker frame cover on the way). It's great to be able to read it outdoors though!
2. The user interface has some very noticeable and annoying delays in operation sometimes. The main problem here is inconsistency; sometimes it is perfectly adequate, and other times it just sits there with nothing happening for no apparent reason.
3. The lack of organizational abilities, for example user created bookshelves or folders, means that if you have many books or PDFs, they can be very hard to locate. Search is a weak substitute for proper organization.
4. The audio player is hopeless, mainly because it is completely lacking any organization and has no search capability either. (The speakers are rubbish, but you can't expect any better, and headphones are the way you'd most likely want to use it anyway.) I've loaded the complete Hitchhiker's Guide and it is impossible to determine which file is which - useless!
5. PDF handling is very weak. In particular text scaling on pages with diagrams is absent, causing text sizes to change from one page to the next. I know this is a known problem, but allowing the Nook to be used in landscape would at least allow the text (and diagrams) to be a bit larger and left set to the default thereby avoiding the annoying text size changes.
6. The web browser is horribly difficult to use (but really, if you want to browse the web, you'd not use an eReader to do so given any choice at all!)

I also have the Lyra Light Front Cover. This is also quite good, with some caveats.
1. The hinge, which I've seen described as "flimsy" is not what I'd call flimsy. In fact it seems quite well made, but it does flop about. This makes holding the Nook and cover something you actually have to think about while reading, which is not good.
2. The three LEDs produce a lot of glare. I'm experimenting with diffusing the light by putting (removable) sticky take over them, and applying small amounts of silver or white paint to the tape over the LEDs. Each test can be undone by pulling off the tape ready for the next attempt. I'm also going to try white sticky tape. So far (with thin silver paint) this has produced a noticeable improvement. The diffuser supplied needs to do a better job, which would cost nothing extra to manufacture, but would improve usage a lot.

So, several relatively minor issues, the user interface glitches, lack of organization, and PDF handling being the biggest. All of those should be fixable (or at least improved) with software updates. I'd buy it again anyway.

Graham.
norrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR!

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Graham and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Nice review, you ought to drop it into the Nook Forum, too .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote