Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #331
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
At the mid-point of the year, I'm four books behind schedule to meet my goal of 168 books. I am, however, almost 3000 pages ahead of schedule to read 50,000 pages.

I had a great reading month in May, completing 25 books. (It was very nice to have a road trip to and from San Francisco. Lots of days of uninterrupted reading time.) However, I slacked off some in June.

Books read in June:
1. Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi
2. The Forge of God by Greg Bear
3. Stars Above by Marissa Meyer
4. Clawback by J. A. Jance
5. The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham
6. The Outskirter's Secret by Rosemary Kirstein
7. Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear
8. The Last Camel Died at Noon by Elizabeth Peters
9. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Of these 9 books, 7 were electronic books, 1 printed on paper paper, and 1 audio. I borrowed 6 books from the library. I made no progress at all on reading from my Kindle Unlimited subscription or reading Newbery award titles.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #332
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Bah, only 13 books in June, down from 20-22/month. I guess all the summer Barbecues take their toll
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #333
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Bah, only 13 books in June, down from 20-22/month. I guess all the summer Barbecues take their toll
But what a delicious and convivial toll! I wish I had that excuse.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #334
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I'm on schedule finally to read the total number of books I have as a stretch goal, with 76 books read so far. But I'm doing miserably at the more important goal of keeping track of what I've read and how much I've spent. The goal was to enter these details not less often than once a week, and it isn't happening. As a result, I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I've missed recording purchases AND books read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #335
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
My mid-year totals:

13 books read (one more than this time last year)
TBR stands at 5605 (I didn't record what I started the year with)

5 books purchased totaling $4.65 ($500 budgeted)

Last edited by Fbone; 07-01-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:17 AM   #336
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
The month of May was satisfactory for my reads. 13 books finished this month, leading to a total of 61 books for the year. I am halfway the challenge mark of 120 books. Satisfied. I hope to achieve my target before year end with no hassle.

I happened to buy 9 books of a series by Erle Stanley Gardner in this month, which worries me to keep my 'Minimum Purchase Agenda' for the year working. I hope not to buy many more in forthcoming months. I have already stopped falling for useless freebies and piling up my TBR. The TBR has been reduced to 1443 Ebooks, 28 Pbooks and 49 in Wishlist. These are satisfying figures, anyway.
Finished nine books in June, making a total of 70 for the year. TBR has been reduced to 1436 ebooks and 27 pbooks. No new books bought in this month.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #337
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
have hit mid point in the year and i am on book 50 so have hit target - so am upping to about 75 - study starts again in two weeks next exam is in december so i have been binge reading Patricia Briggs - never read any of hers before and love them
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #338
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
drjd

Assuming that this is a typical year and that you do not add anything to your TBR stack you have another decade worth of reading materiel you have another 10.45 years worth of reading materiel right there. You are all set for a while.

I joined Kindle Unlimited six months after its introduction therefore I need not buy anything more ever and this is the first library that can actually keep up with me in terms of books that I read per month, which can go as high as forty-eight books per month.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #339
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
drjd

Assuming that this is a typical year and that you do not add anything to your TBR stack you have another decade worth of reading materiel you have another 10.45 years worth of reading materiel right there. You are all set for a while.

I joined Kindle Unlimited six months after its introduction therefore I need not buy anything more ever and this is the first library that can actually keep up with me in terms of books that I read per month, which can go as high as forty-eight books per month.
That is right. I am keeping a track of read / to be read books since last few years, and despite my best efforts could never reduce the TBR below 1000. Some books bought some long time away are still pending in the TBR list. I guess there is at least one benefit in keeping a scary pile of TBR books, that you never run out of books even consuming them at any crazy speed and you, of course, keep adding to the pile as fast as, or faster than you consume them!
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #340
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
July was crap for my reading habits because of the two conventions. I'm one of those folks who feel that at the very least voters should set aside time to tune in to see what face both camps wish to present to the country. Now I'm catching up on what I missed these past two weeks and should be good until the debates are televised.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #341
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
(Deleted) - sorry, wrong thread

Last edited by arcadata; 07-31-2016 at 09:57 PM.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #342
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm doing quite well this year with everything except keeping my spending within budget. Here we are, 7/12ths of the way through the year, and I'm over my annual budget already.

Books bought: 161
Total cost of books bought: £244.20
Average cost of books bought: £1.52

Ah well. Perhaps I was too ambitious in my target. Perhaps I'll still be able to keep under my 2015 budget of £300 for the year. We shall see.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #343
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It's been a good month. I've read just over 4502 pages, which is over 800 pages more than my average for July. I managed to cross off three themes from my list, which means I'm now three themes ahead. I did learn that next time I'm allowed to read book I bought before that month that I need to plan better; get book I want to read ahead of time and do not plan it in a month with several new book releases.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #344
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm almost exactly on target for hitting my stretch goal of 150 books this year. And I'm doing fairly well at not buying new books beyond the ones I really want. But I'm really having trouble keeping my log post up to date. (And I strongly suspect I've completely missed recording a couple of readings and at least one purchase. BAD.)

I'm not sure things will improve. I definitely feel a bit powerless about this. I've tried several different things to improve my reporting, but so far none of them have really answered.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #345
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I finished my 60th book and completed just over 20,000 pages today. This would have met my goal a few years ago and is by far the fastest I have reached 20k pages. This year I have another 4k pages to go and know I will have a large slowdown starting at the end of this month, so I am trying to get as much as I can done ahead of time.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote