Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Another Android or iPhone?

I'm thinking of switching my phone soon. I currently have a T-Mobile Comet (http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-34207609.html) which was free with my two year contract. However, I have learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. The phone makes calls and I can access the internet, etc. However, I don't like this phone, especially because I'm so use to the iOS interface of my iPod Touch. I've been flirting with the idea of getting an iPhone for quite some time (yes, I know T-Mobile doesn't offer the iPhone...I would get the unlocked iPhone). I have a sister and a niece who both have the iPhone 4 and they seem to like their phones. Plus, with the iPhone, I could take all my music that is in iTunes and just put it on the phone, eliminating the need for the iPod Touch.

However, I don't have any gripes with Android, just my phone. The battery life is terrible and I've already had to replace one battery in less than a year. The phone is also pretty slow, bulky and really small. The screen is small and it makes navigating web pages rather difficult. I often just use my iPod Touch if wifi is available rather than my phone when I want to access the internet.

However, I like the Android OS. I love swype! It makes texting or any other typing so much easier for me. That doesn't seem possible on the iOS. I also like a lot of the little widgets that you can put on the various screens of an Android phone. It makes it very easy to access the most heavily used apps easily. The layout of the iOS is nice although I do feel that seeing all those apps makes the screen on my iPod Touch a little congested.

So if you were in my shoes, would you take the leap and get an iPhone or just upgrade to a better Android phone? Please feel free to also mention other factors that I haven't mentioned.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I'd stick with Android and go with the Samsung Galaxy SIII. It's highly rated and you can stick with T-Mobile.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've had an iPhone 4 for a couple of years now, and think it's excellent, but I also have an Android tablet, and that's damned good, too. You say that you currently have an iPod Touch; one possible benefit of the iPhone is that, if you have any docking stations, speakers, etc, for your Touch, they'll also work with the iPhone.

The iPhone 5 is expected to be announced mid September; if you don't have a desperate need for a new phone right now it might be an idea to wait another few weeks and see what's announced then.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Consider getting the Samsung Galaxy Nexus instead. Sure it doesn't have the specs of newer Android phones but it has much better software support. Heck, my Samsung Nexus S received a Jellybean update last weekend. The Samsung Galaxy S with nearly the exact same specs isn't even getting Ice Cream Sandwich.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Consider getting the Samsung Galaxy Nexus instead. Sure it doesn't have the specs of newer Android phones but it has much better software support. Heck, my Samsung Nexus S received a Jellybean update last weekend. The Samsung Galaxy S with nearly the exact same specs isn't even getting Ice Cream Sandwich.
I second this. I have an S3 myself, but at half the price or less, the GN is unbeatable, and with the JB update, it's really smooth. My brother has it and it's more fluid than my S3 thanks to the "project butter" updates Google put in JB.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Regardless of choice it seem to me like you'll be happy with either choice you make. Since you have experience with both OSs so you know their strength and pitfalls.

Unlocked phones are expensive get ready to pay full price for a phone. The best deal right know is the Galaxy Nexus at $349 it's still considered top of the line and has the best value new. Everything else goes for about $600 and up unless you buy a low end phone or a used phone. There is a tmobile version that supports 4G

One other thing to consider,if you get an iphone is to switch carrier since the best Internet speeds you'll get is 2G for unlocked iphone on tmobile.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Unlocked phones are expensive get ready to pay full price for a phone. The best deal right know is the Galaxy Nexus at $349 it's still considered top of the line and has the best value new. Everything else goes for about $600 and up unless you buy a low end phone or a used phone. There is a tmobile version that supports 4G

One other thing to consider,if you get an iphone is to switch carrier since the best Internet speeds you'll get is 2G for unlocked iphone on tmobile.
The GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus (the one available for $350 on Google Play) is pentaband meaning it will work on AT&T, T-Mobile and international 3G/HSPA. No need to get a special version.

As for the iPhone only working on T-Mobile 2G, T-Mobile is in the process of converting their GSM 1900 band to 3G/H+. Some areas have already been converted but I believe they're hoping to have majority of the switch done by end of 3Q'12.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I also like a lot of the little widgets that you can put on the various screens of an Android phone. It makes it very easy to access the most heavily used apps easily. The layout of the iOS is nice although I do feel that seeing all those apps makes the screen on my iPod Touch a little congested.
Have you tried putting your iPod apps in folders? That's what I do on my media players (iPod touch & Galaxy Player). I use apps and folders; no widgets. The result is a clutter free display.

As to a phone, you need to try out a high end Android phone. The difference will be night and day. Then wait until the iPhone 5 is released before making a decision.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to check out both the Galaxy Nexus and the SIII. Apple usually releases the new iPhone around September, right? I'll wait to see what features it has.

@tubemonkey: Thanks for telling me about the iPod app folders. It has made my iPod interface so much neater. I put all my apps in folders and they're all organized now.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

iPhone is usually released June/July except for last year when they released it in October. This year, rumors are for a September release.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
iPhone is usually released June/July except for last year when they released it in October. This year, rumors are for a September release.
There's an Apple "event" on 22nd September when it's expected to be announced. That doesn't mean that it'll be released then, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I'd stick with Android and go with the Samsung Galaxy SIII. It's highly rated and you can stick with T-Mobile.
I just upgraded (from a droidX) to the Samsung G SIII on Verizon and am loving it so far! Love the bigger screen. (the iPhone screen seems tiny by comparison these days).

I say go for the SIII Baby!

Last edited by kennyc; 08-01-2012 at 12:57 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm getting ready to upgrade soon and it'll likely be an SIII or the new iPhone. I never thought I'd consider an iPhone, but it's definately in the mix at this point. I've had two Android phones now (HTC Hero, then Galaxy S) and both have had less than ideal software support from their manufacturers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm getting ready to upgrade soon and it'll likely be an SIII or the new iPhone. I never thought I'd consider an iPhone, but it's definately in the mix at this point. I've had two Android phones now (HTC Hero, then Galaxy S) and both have had less than ideal software support from their manufacturers.
This is why if you're going Android, a Nexus device is the best option. I'm getting the new iPhone mostly because carriers in the US don't do tiered subsidies like in other countries. If they're going to force a minimum $20 data plan on me regardless of what smartphone I choose ($480 over the contract life), then I'm getting the device with the highest subsidy.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you're waiting for the iPhone, then you might as well wait for the new Nexus which should be announced not much later. With Nexus devices you are guaranteed timely updates.

Or, for those who like tinkering with their devices, there's always the CyanogenMod route.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, ios, iphone